Assign instrument parameters to S1 or S2 button

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Lu77

Assign instrument parameters to S1 or S2 button

Post by Lu77 »

Hi I'm a new FA-06 owner, really getting into how easy a lot of features are.

Anyway I was playing with a string ensemble tone, and in tone edit under instrument 30: strings you can chance to staccato or pizzicato or tremolo?

I wondered if it's possible to assign two of these options to the S1 and S2 keys. Providing quick access without having to change tone.
stevel

Re: Assign instrument parameters to S1 or S2 button

Post by stevel »

I don't think so. Those are listed as variations on the tone and I don't see any way to assign any buttons or knobs to select those variations.
NPC15

Post by NPC15 »

I'm still working my round the FA-06 at the moment so I've only just worked this one out - I was certain that in the first few days of using the FA that I had been triggering the staccato/pizzicato effect on the strings with the S1/S2 buttons, and also the acoustic guitar harmonics too.

When I saw this thread I thought I'd try it again but the S1/S2 buttons were just set to modulation/portamento respectively so I thought maybe I'd imagined it!

However I've just been playing around and if you choose one of the USER studio sets, and select a string sound you should find that the S1/S2 buttons are set to switch from normal to staccato/pizzicato.

Looking at the settings they are set as follows:

Switch S1 Assign CC80(General-5)
Switch S2 Assign CC81(General-6)

Change from USER Studio Set to PRST and those S1/S2 buttons are set to modulation/portamento hence my confusion!
stevel

Post by stevel »

NPC15 wrote:I'm still working my round the FA-06 at the moment so I've only just worked this one out - I was certain that in the first few days of using the FA that I had been triggering the staccato/pizzicato effect on the strings with the S1/S2 buttons, and also the acoustic guitar harmonics too.

When I saw this thread I thought I'd try it again but the S1/S2 buttons were just set to modulation/portamento respectively so I thought maybe I'd imagined it!

However I've just been playing around and if you choose one of the USER studio sets, and select a string sound you should find that the S1/S2 buttons are set to switch from normal to staccato/pizzicato.

Looking at the settings they are set as follows:

Switch S1 Assign CC80(General-5)
Switch S2 Assign CC81(General-6)

Change from USER Studio Set to PRST and those S1/S2 buttons are set to modulation/portamento hence my confusion!
Can anyone help me figure out how this works?

On a preset, if I pick the strings sound and press S2, it sure enough changes to Pizz. Guitar - it does harmonics!

Looking at the tone edit for the strings, it has 4 variations, normal, staccato, pizz, and trem.

It might be cool to have S1 be Pizz and S2 be Trem for example.

But I notice when I'm in the edit screen, pressing S2 makes the Pizz sound, but doesn't show anything changing on the screen (like when using the jog wheel).

So I'm wondering if that Pizz sound is coming from this variation, or somewhere else. If the former, how do I find what CC parameter would cause this variation????
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Hi stevel,

it is very likely that the sounds you did choose are SN sounds. Some SN parameters are linked to the assignable switches which control SN parameter. These parameter are not in the menus, but if you look into the Parameter Guide you will find them accessable by sysex (Candy has a good solution in that way to control organ drawbars:viewtopic.php?f=55&t=48943#p287734 ). Inside the FA these are factory 'hardwired' in my opinion.
Away from SN sounds there are far limited possibilities to achieve those controlled effects.