All I want to do is load a midi file into my FA-08!

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
JustKen

All I want to do is load a midi file into my FA-08!

Post by JustKen »

I don't know if I'm missing something, or if Roland has missed something. All I want to do is load a simple midi file into my FA-08 so I can play that file during sound check. I don't want to go through a DAW, since I don't have a DAW that the FA-8 recognizes. I just want to plug in a card or a USB stick that has the file I want to load, and just load the sucker! I copied my file to the /IMPORT folder on the SD card, and that didn't work. I tried the .mid extension and the .smf extension, and neither of these worked. I can export a midi file from the FA-08 to the SD card (and play it on my PC) no problem, but I can't import a file, even the file I just exported in the previous sentence! Does anyone know the voodoo to do this? Thanks!
cello

Re: All I want to do is load a midi file into my FA-08!

Post by cello »

You can import an SMF into a song, and handle the imported SMF
as a song.
MEMO
• Before you continue, copy the SMF from your computer into the
“IMPORT” folder of the SD card.
• A maximum of 200 files in the “IMPORT” folder can be
recognized.
1. Access the SONG UTIL MENU window
2. Move the cursor to “Import SMF” and press the [7]
(Select) button.
The SONG IMPORT screen appears.
MEMO
You can press the [6] (Preview) button to audition the selected
SMF.
3. Use the dial or the [DEC] [INC] buttons to select the
SMF that you want to import, and press the [7] (Import)
button.
A confirmation message appears.
If you decide to cancel, press the [7] (Cancel) button.
4. Press the [6] (OK) button.
The SMF is imported.
JustKen

Post by JustKen »

Thanks, cello. I couldn't find this information in the owner's manual at first. I don't know where this terminology of SMF came from. It's just midi, isn't it? Anyway, it took me a few tries, but I could finally load my file. I don't think my card reader is 100% reliable (or it could be that big hairy thing on the end of it).
cello

Post by cello »

lol! - Glad that you got it working. SMF = Standard Midi File.
JustKen

Post by JustKen »

Yeah, I get it now. But I had thought SMF was a file extension (like .mid) instead of just a three letter acronym.
GSPro

Post by GSPro »

cello wrote:You can import an SMF into a song, and handle the imported SMF
as a song.
MEMO
• Before you continue, copy the SMF from your computer into the
“IMPORT” folder of the SD card.
• A maximum of 200 files in the “IMPORT” folder can be
recognized.
1. Access the SONG UTIL MENU window
2. Move the cursor to “Import SMF” and press the [7]
(Select) button.
The SONG IMPORT screen appears.
MEMO
You can press the [6] (Preview) button to audition the selected
SMF.
3. Use the dial or the [DEC] [INC] buttons to select the
SMF that you want to import, and press the [7] (Import)
button.
A confirmation message appears.
If you decide to cancel, press the [7] (Cancel) button.
4. Press the [6] (OK) button.
The SMF is imported.
Hello everyone!
Just purchased a brand new FA-08 and retiring (but still keep) the Fantom X8. Before posting about my discovering, I decided to search the forum first.
I am very disappointed about the “IMPORT” folder can and will only recognize the first 200 midi files. What is that all about? I have almost 3 times as much in the Fantom X8 and all files can be read from the internal storage, inside the Fantom, or the SD card connected to it.
Can this limitation be increased via software update?

Thank you in advance,

Adriano
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Should be possible to load from IMPORT and write each midi song into the FA's SONGS folder, erase SD card and load the next bunch of SMF.
I think the amount of songs is only limited to the SD card size, which could be probably 64 GB.
But for shure it is a lot of work to load and write 200 files...
GSPro

Post by GSPro »

bennyseven wrote:Should be possible to load from IMPORT and write each midi song into the FA's SONGS folder, erase SD card and load the next bunch of SMF.
I think the amount of songs is only limited to the SD card size, which could be probably 64 GB.
But for shure it is a lot of work to load and write 200 files...
Thank you for the fast reply, Benny!
I have about 40 MB of midi files 700+/- files. The SD card is 32 GB, so, space is not an issue.

I copied all of the midi files from the computer, to the SD card into the IMPORT folder. But, after I insert the card into the FA-08 and turn it on, it only shows the first 200 files in alphabetical order. From midi file 201 and up, does not even show. This tells me, "it is an imposed limitation" from Roland.

Per your suggestion, "Loading each SMF from the IMPORT folder to the FA-08 and then, write it/save it to the SONGS folder." Instead, I copied them to the SONGS folder. The question is - How do I access the SONGS folder?

Adriano
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Hi GSPro,
I think if you copy the SMF files into the SONGS folder, they won't be shown up when you load a SONG. The SONG files are are somehow coded by Roland internally and you only have access with the LOAD SONG menu.

So, you have to IMPORT SMF and WRITE SONG for each single file.
Or use more SD cards each with an import folder of 200 files...
GSPro

Post by GSPro »

bennyseven wrote:Hi GSPro,
I think if you copy the SMF files into the SONGS folder, they won't be shown up when you load a SONG. The SONG files are are somehow coded by Roland internally and you only have access with the LOAD SONG menu.

So, you have to IMPORT SMF and WRITE SONG for each single file.
Or use more SD cards each with an import folder of 200 files...
Holy cow... That's gonna take me week!
What Roland should do (my opinion only) is to create a conversion program SMF->SVQ or whatever the new format is. I'll stay on the Fantom X a while longer, for now.

Thank you again, Benny. Great info...

Adriano
9blackoranges

Post by 9blackoranges »

You can not just install the midi files into the song folder, yes, one reason is a different format but the song needs to be put into the FA's library so its needs to be named, referenced and links from the song to its appropriate Studio Set.

Even more relevant is that sporting a midi file will only allocate a generic midi sound to each of the parts and without exception the midi sounds ( patches/tones) are crap. The overall song will be crap if you just used the generic midi tones that it comes with, you need to go through each of the 16 channels and select the best sound for that part from the many many sounds in the FA, then tweak them, rebalance them etc etc.

The actually importing action takes seconds. 'Re-mastering' it with FA sounds, effects etc takes the time and without that, it will sound, crap.
GSPro

Post by GSPro »

9blackoranges wrote:You can not just install the midi files into the song folder, yes, one reason is a different format but the song needs to be put into the FA's library so its needs to be named, referenced and links from the song to its appropriate Studio Set.
Understood!
9blackoranges wrote:Even more relevant is that sporting a midi file will only allocate a generic midi sound to each of the parts and without exception the midi sounds ( patches/tones) are crap. The overall song will be crap if you just used the generic midi tones that it comes with, you need to go through each of the 16 channels and select the best sound for that part from the many many sounds in the FA, then tweak them, rebalance them etc etc.
Yes!! The Roland GM/GM2 does suck. It went down hill when the Fantom S (which I also own) was introduced and it's been crap ever since. The way I did it back then, on the Fantom S and now on the X8, I copy all the files to the internal storage, load the midi file and send it to an external sound module.
Without getting into deep details, I use GM/GS, because I do alot of reproduction work for companies that sell midi files and it's extra $$
I also use those midi files, because I am a working musician, at least 6 days a week.

9blackoranges wrote:The actually importing action takes seconds. 'Re-mastering' it with FA sounds, effects etc takes the time and without that, it will sound, crap.
Yes! I checked it out last night and found out that some GM parts, just don't work well with the new sound engine (not all, but some) and have to do new takes.

Is the SONGS folder, limited to 200 files also, like the IMPORT folder?

Thank you.
9blackoranges

Post by 9blackoranges »

Hi again,

No, I have about 300 songs (in midi) loaded/running using same number of Studio sets ( one bespoke for each song). I would think the 200 limit is just limited by how many it can 'sort through for loading' at any one time.

I have just checked and I find that there are 999 slots for storing songs and 512 for Studio sets?!

I also have a collection of about 3,000 midi songs taking up 200 MB storage on a separate hard drive. I have only loaded those i play along to with the parts deleted or muted for the tracks/sections i like to play.

Also started to load some into Ableton on a laptop where I want to get a wider choice/better/special sound.

Good luck. Have fun.
GSPro

Post by GSPro »

9blackoranges wrote:Hi again,

No, I have about 300 songs (in midi) loaded/running using same number of Studio sets ( one bespoke for each song). I would think the 200 limit is just limited by how many it can 'sort through for loading' at any one time.

I have just checked and I find that there are 999 slots for storing songs and 512 for Studio sets?!

I also have a collection of about 3,000 midi songs taking up 200 MB storage on a separate hard drive. I have only loaded those i play along to with the parts deleted or muted for the tracks/sections i like to play.

Also started to load some into Ableton on a laptop where I want to get a wider choice/better/special sound.

Good luck. Have fun.
Hi 9blackoranges and thank you for the reply.

Quick question and some instructions, please.

Just testing from this end and can't figure this out.

I loaded a midi file (SMF) from the IMPORT folder and made some changes. I renamed this file and exported it as an SMF. I can't seem to find it to reload it back into the FA. Checked the SD card on the computer and upon export the EXPORT folder was created.

How did you load the 300 songs on your end?

Any light you can shed on this is greatly appreciated,

Thank you
9blackoranges

Post by 9blackoranges »

Hi GS pro,

Hmm. When you imported it did you save it as a Song AND a corresponding Studio Set, IN the FA. Once it is in and loaded, the Export option should work and put it into you Export folder on your SD card.

Did you save it to the FA before exporting it?

SOME WARNINGS>>>

You need to decide up front before you start how you are going to name each song and what order you are going to store them in. When they are loaded it is a bit if a pain to find what you are looking for as there is NO 'go to/find' system built in so you have to scroll down you list from 1,2, 3 etc which can be a little slow when you get into the 100's.Give it a lot of thought now. I ended up grouping mine in categories of types of songs and/or group together each artists songs with a blank in-between each grouping. You will need to use the Shift commend to speed up the scrolling. I always use the same name/number for the SONG and its corresponding Style Set otherwise you end in chaos.

You may have trouble reimporting the exported SMF back into where ever you are going to put it. I have seen several users on this site find that when they reimport the exported file somewhere else it loads all the different tracks as one combined jumbled up track and does not keep them separate. Seems to depend upon the DAW etc they are reimporting it to and all linked to the 3 different midi formats. I don't export midi files, so not an issue, just transfer them directly via USB to my DAW.

Don't know if this helps, or hinders??