Octave shift with splits?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
BigBANGtheory

Octave shift with splits?

Post by BigBANGtheory »

Hi guys I'm struggling with what I thought would be an easy config setting on my FA08...

With a 2 part split I want to be able to shift the upper split section of the keyboard down an octave, but I cant seem to do it for the split section if I ask the FA08 to -1 octave it applies it to the whole keyboard i.e. the upper and lower split sections. I have had a quick look at the reference manual but I can't seem to find the answer, how do you do splits and keep the sections in the note ranges you want?
Dyffryn Studios

Re: Octave shift with splits?

Post by Dyffryn Studios »

Hi there

I achieve this in a studio set. You can edit the Octave of each of the parts individually. You can have 1 part up to 16 in studio set. Have a look at the support videos for studio sets if you you need to see how to edit each part. That will enable you to get the split you need
Regards
Rob
nathbeadle

Post by nathbeadle »

Hey BigBANGTheory

Check out page 44 of the OM_UserManual. Under the heading "Setting for Each Part" it briefly explains what you can do. If you download the Parameter PDF (which I highly suggest you do) then you can see specifically what every little option is inside the FA. You'll want to look at page 9 of the Parameter guide.

What you are interested in is the Pitch tab and from there you can transpose a specific Part down octaves or in semitones if you prefer.

Make sure you save your Studio Set or you will have to make this change each time!
BigBANGtheory

Post by BigBANGtheory »

ok I see, you have to do it as part of a Studio Set rather than just use the buttons for split and octave up/down

thank you for the replies
nathbeadle

Post by nathbeadle »

Hey BigBANG

You got it... that's been a bit of a confusion maker since they keyboard came out. You really need to think of everything as a Studio Set, because everything IS a studio set. Roland has just done a good job of hiding that fact.

When you are in single/solo mode you are really just playing Part 1 of the Studio Set. When you go into split or layer/dual mode you are really just playing Parts 1 & 2 of a Studio Set. Everything is a Studio Set, which is what makes the FA keyboard so genius. There's no modes to switch between essentially!

So if you think of everything is a Studio Set life becomes so much easier, just takes some time to wrap your head around :)
BigBANGtheory

Post by BigBANGtheory »

Its also very powerful I noticed, you get a whole tranche of options that I hadn't really paid much attention to before.

If you only need a selection of tones for your Studio Set for arguments sake lets say 4... can you blank out or remove the unused parts i.e 5 - 16 because you won't be using them? I find it confusing to see 16 parts/tones in a Studio Set when I know I only want a much smaller number.
nathbeadle

Post by nathbeadle »

Hey BigBANG

I think many FA users who haven't downloaded the Parameters guide have no clue the power that's inside this machine. If you just looked through the User Guide you would really think it's a good but somewhat basic board, especially compared to the previous Fantoms. But once you crack the Parameter guide you realize just how much power is there!!

Unfortunately there is no way to hide the unused Parts if you have 3 or more in use in a Studio set. You can change your view while in the Studio set so you only see the first 6 I think instead of all 16 but that's about it. Would be a nice addition though!
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

If you un-check the KBD in a part it will be greyed out when you leave focus on that part.
Maybe that helps.