Performing live

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
GephDavid

Performing live

Post by GephDavid »

I've been playing in a church so I prepared a studio set with 4-7 tones, basically using 3 layered tones. But due to polyphony limit, sometimes I experience notes being dropped whilst playing. Any tips/suggestions so I can avoid this? Thanks!
nathbeadle

Re: Performing live

Post by nathbeadle »

Hey GephDavid

Check out page 13 in the FA's Parameter Guide (if you haven't downloaded that manual yet you really should as it digs into all the goodies left out from the User Guide!!).

There is a setting called Voice Reserve that allows you to essentially dictate a preference so that when notes get dropped they aren't the ones you deem important. For example, half the time when I'm leading worship I'm playing a Piano with a Soft Pad layered underneath and occasionally an Electric Piano as well. I have it set up so that the Piano sound essentially never drops out by reserving voices for it.

Play around with that and you'll be able to figure something out. Depending on exactly the layers and parts and the chords you are playing it might be impossible to NOT have dropped notes... there is only 128 note polyphony. But with some effort you can craft your Studio Set to be as usable as possible based on your needs.

Good luck and Blessings!
GephDavid

Post by GephDavid »

nathbeadle wrote:Hey GephDavid

Check out page 13 in the FA's Parameter Guide (if you haven't downloaded that manual yet you really should as it digs into all the goodies left out from the User Guide!!).

There is a setting called Voice Reserve that allows you to essentially dictate a preference so that when notes get dropped they aren't the ones you deem important. For example, half the time when I'm leading worship I'm playing a Piano with a Soft Pad layered underneath and occasionally an Electric Piano as well. I have it set up so that the Piano sound essentially never drops out by reserving voices for it.

Play around with that and you'll be able to figure something out. Depending on exactly the layers and parts and the chords you are playing it might be impossible to NOT have dropped notes... there is only 128 note polyphony. But with some effort you can craft your Studio Set to be as usable as possible based on your needs.

Good luck and Blessings!
Thanks! I've been doing the same too. Yea I just read that last night, but how do you use yours? I mean I read somewhere that if you mute them by 'part mute' your tone still eats up polyphony :/ Right now I have 4 tones, piano, ep, pad, and strings. Thanks! God bless you too ;)
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

All PARTS audio will be routed to the MIXER. MUTE is a mixer function to stop routing audio to the audio out bus.
Knowing this, it is clear that PARTS (their TONES) will produce sounds/audio, but could not be heard on muted tracks.

FANTOM has a nice VOICE MONITOR feature, where this could be visualized. But FA has not.

Solution could be to use PAD MODE KB SWITCH. But this depends on how you are playing/switching the sounds.
We had some threads about this. Pls use forum search.
GephDavid

Post by GephDavid »

bennyseven wrote:All PARTS audio will be routed to the MIXER. MUTE is a mixer function to stop routing audio to the audio out bus.
Knowing this, it is clear that PARTS (their TONES) will produce sounds/audio, but could not be heard on muted tracks.

FANTOM has a nice VOICE MONITOR feature, where this could be visualized. But FA has not.

Solution could be to use PAD MODE KB SWITCH. But this depends on how you are playing/switching the sounds.
We had some threads about this. Pls use forum search.
Tried searching but got lost somewhere, I can't find specific thread that explain how kb switch actually works. Can you give me the link? Thanks!