Pad Utility state can't be saved in a Studio Set?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
scramble

Pad Utility state can't be saved in a Studio Set?

Post by scramble »

I'm thinking of getting an FA-08. The manuals are appallingly bad, even by Roland standards. Anyway, it looks like you can't save the Pad Utility state in a Studio Set. Is this right?

If so, that's pretty annoying, as it means that if, when playing live you want to switch between using the pads for, say muting parts on one song, and for triggering samples on another, then you have to manually change the Pad Utility state to make this change before the song starts, which of course you'll eventually forget to do.

It's not like there's not enough memory space on modern keyboards for this sort of thing. I just can't get over the way so many modern keyboard manufacturers are (despite some gradual improvement in this regard) still unable to do basic and easy things to make the life of a live keyboardist easier, like having writing that is clearly legible in dim light, and not having black buttons on black keyboards.
cda

Re: Pad Utility state can't be saved in a Studio Set?

Post by cda »

No, as far as I am aware it is not possible to save the Pad Utility state in a Studio Set.

I agree with your other comments.
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

You're correct, it's not saved. Annoying, eh!
scramble

Post by scramble »

Gah!
scramble

Post by scramble »

Just realized that you can't even save the current pad bank in a studio set! And there's nothing on screen or anywhere else to indicate the current bank (unless you do some buttons presses). Unbelievable.