Updated fa-08 anytime soon?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Viaren

Updated fa-08 anytime soon?

Post by Viaren »

Hi!
Anyone know at what time we might see a updated version of the FA-08?
Thank you ;-)
Viaren

Re: Updated fa-08 anytime soon?

Post by Viaren »

Like if there might be a "mk2" version next january. Maybe someone know when Roland tend to update their products? Or maybe the fa's is so good its not missing anything?
cello

Post by cello »

Whilst there are several wishlists around, I;m not reading of too many 'significant' bugs so I can't see Roland rushing out an OS update. Whilst they have done MK2 versions in the past, it's less so now.

So, for me anyway, the FA is pretty much right, although I would like to see a fix to be able to select a particular measure in a sequence as opposed to always having to scroll from the start.

But certainly sound wise, its a powerhouse (particularly when using new sounds with the virtual EXP cards)!
Viaren

Post by Viaren »

cello wrote:Whilst there are several wishlists around, I;m not reading of too many 'significant' bugs so I can't see Roland rushing out an OS update. Whilst they have done MK2 versions in the past, it's less so now.

So, for me anyway, the FA is pretty much right, although I would like to see a fix to be able to select a particular measure in a sequence as opposed to always having to scroll from the start.

But certainly sound wise, its a powerhouse (particularly when using new sounds with the virtual EXP cards)!
Thank you for the good reply. I bought one now and will see if it works for me.
cello

Post by cello »

Congratulations on getting your FA - I predict you will have fun and creative times ahead!
Gatorjohn

Post by Gatorjohn »

Sure would be nice if they revamped the Librarian software for us like they did for the JD-XA.
MacTyros

Post by MacTyros »

An FA-08 mk2 would be great, as the FA-08 is allready offering so much for the buck...

Just little things:

like a few more super naturall sounds espescially brass, woods and winds (they are missing)
a way to create a jupiter like live set from 4 tracks on the FA series..
4 instead of a single arpegiator
an extra EXP slot, where you can save a set of your favorite EXP sounds
maybe an EXP with supernaturall sounds
moving the D-beam to the far left, so its usable when i have a 2nd keyboard on top of the FA in my setup.

and many many more little thigns, just to improve the workflow even further.... i think we all have or wishlists
microwerx

Post by microwerx »

Who knows, maybe #909 day holds something in the future.

Here's my top wants:

1. Improve some workflow items
a. Allow you to import from subdirectories (so you can sensibly arrange your MIDI/WAVE files on your USB stick)
b. Allow SMF files to work in all cases (There's many that will refuse to import)
c. Let you plug your keyboard in so you can easily rename things
d. Let you copy/paste user presets to other sections (e.g. copy/move presets 5-50 starting at position 10)
2. Let me use two MFXs or TFXs at a time?
3. Adjust sampler so that I can
a. have an ADSR envelope that globally applies to the entire set
b. have an MFX apply to the sampler section
4. Adjust Supernatural Synth so that I can
a. sync oscillator 1 and 2.
b. use oscillator 3 as an FM source
c. add a delay parameter and a loop option to the envelope generator
d. add a reset envelope generator option (so they can continue where they left off or start from zero)
5. I'd be very interested in an EXP editor so that I could put in my own samples, or arrange my own custom set from the ones provided.
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

I was hoping for some update/replacement news today but nope :-/
MacTyros

Post by MacTyros »

Liquid wrote:I was hoping for some update/replacement news today but nope :-/
yes...

How about a workstation that supports the SCB technollogy and can load the plug outs... expandable..

actually its quite simple...

-take the integra 7 as the new base soundsource..
-add 4 GB sample memmory for instrument sounds..
-support for ACB technollogy including plugouts..
-allow 4 Live sets from the Jupiter 80 to be spread over the keyboard..
-take some features of the E-A7 (styles/multipads)..

Crush them in a single instrument, and we finally have a true Fantom replacement... that also sattisfies arranger players worldwide... becuase the last top model arranger From Roland (G70) is also more then a decade old...
emmerson1960

Post by emmerson1960 »

Some MIDI functionality to control external sounds on my Integra-7 would be nice since the salesman told me it was possible.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

It is possible, its just an ass hat to do it, and I'm sure this is one buggy area everyone would like to see get sorted (selecting EXT as the sound doesn't mute the internal sound engine on that part so you have to create Null Patches at 0 volume... arg!)

Read all the manuals, especially the big one online that they should have printed out and put in the box! All is revealed in there - I use my FA-06 as a midi controller and uber-sequencer for my JD-XA, a few boutiques, TR-8 and MX-1 - it will trigger external things. I have had some occasions where it stops working right, and in those scenarios I turn it off and on again! But I'd need to work out what those glitches are before I gig with it...
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

I've always found the DAW Control mode to be the best method when controlling external midi gear, and then i re-route midi back to the FA for internal sounds. I like having rows and rows of custom CC's on those 6 rotaries - that is super handy feature, particularly as you can label them as per your external gear.

AS the Integra-7 features a similar feature set, you can only presume that if the FA was sending out the SysEx (Which you can enable in the settings) it would be able to control quite detailed parameters of the Integra-7 via the FA's controllers (Mainly the screen).

And yep, i can quite happily use the FA's sequencer with 3 other piece of midi hardware without the need for a computer in the chain which is great if a moment strikes you.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

I forgot to ask though... why do you need to control an Integra-7 when the FA-06 and 08 have an Integra-7 pretty much built in? All of the Axial tones for the Integra-7 work on the FA workstations.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

The integra-7 has multiple outputs (for surround work etc) and also has more supernatural generators built in.

The FA is a cutdown integra in reality, certainly in terms of the Supernatural tones is the biggest gap for me.

Plus the Integra can have 4x expansions running at once, SRX (which the FA can take) but also Supernatural extensions ExSN1, ExSN2 etc. that the FA doesn't have?