Adding MFX to a part of an individual track

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
tgchan

Adding MFX to a part of an individual track

Post by tgchan »

Does anyone know how can I add an MFX effect for a couple of seconds on one of my tracks?

I have checked manuals, but there is nothing there...

Track 14: -------------------MFX effect on------------effect off------------- etc

It should be so easy to do with assignable button S1 or S2 (switch ON/OFF), but there is no such option to choose from...

Am I missing something here?
bennyseven

Re: Adding MFX to a part of an individual track

Post by bennyseven »

S1/2 could not be assigned to any MFX functions (destinations). Sorry not possible.
tgchan

Post by tgchan »

bennyseven wrote:S1/2 could not be assigned to any MFX functions (destinations). Sorry not possible.
:(

Can you do it in some other way? How do you add mfx effects to a track? Can you add it only for some duration of a track?
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

What you can do is go in to the tone edit (pro) for the part on the track in question, then scroll across to 'MFX Control' tab and assign the balance of the effect (dry/wet) to the same CC message that you set up on either S1/S2.

So, a brief example:-

1. Assign S1 to an unassigned CC value (like CC61). (Hold shift and press S1 to get to it quick).
2. Then go to tone edit/mfx control tab
3. Set Source:- CC16 (Or whatever you've set S1 to)
4. Set Destination:- Balance (This is the wet/dry level of the MFX).
5. Set Sens:- Put this to minus -63

What that will do is drop the MFX level down -63 when the button is pressed, and return to the normal state when released. So the MFX will disable when S1 is light.

You can give it a positive value if you want to do things the other way round (when S1 pressed the MFX comes on) - But ensure that your balance on the MFX tab is all the way down, as the Sens value is the change which will be applied.

Of course, you can do this using the D Beam or Rotaries too if you want a variable balance of the MFX effects level too.

I hope that makes sense! :)

One thing to note, you need to save that patch to retain the MFX control parameters when you reload the song/project i believe.

One further thing, if you're using a computer/DAW then you can simply use SysEx to kick the MFX on/off too i believe?
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Very good idea, skyjumptoes.

Sysex could also be entered in tnto the FA sequencer, not only with computer/DAW.