Sounds Keep Cutting Out *Urgent*

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
SkylineS4

Sounds Keep Cutting Out *Urgent*

Post by SkylineS4 »

I have the roland fa-08. And during a performance this week, yesterday, the piano just muted it's self automatically. By this I mean no sound came out. Normally I would just change the sound (e.g from piano 1 to piano 2 then back) to fix it but this did not work. I had to reset the synth.... Has anybody else experienced this or know how to fix it?
I have a really big week of consecutive performances starting from today and I would hate to not have a piano for them.
I was just thinking of calling gear4music (where I got it) and explain to them the situation and see the earliest time they can send out a replacement.
Skijumptoes

Re: Sounds Keep Cutting Out *Urgent*

Post by Skijumptoes »

There was a post on here in the last day or so where someone had lost all SN-A sounds, if it happens again, try to pick a synth sound (PCM/SN-S etc) and see if they work.

Could be looking at a potential issue here with certain units maybe?

Are you on the latest firmware (2.0) too?
SkylineS4

Post by SkylineS4 »

No I'm not on the latest firmware. I'm going to update it to 2.0 when I go to church tonight. I will see what happens then then inform you guys thank you so much!
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Cool, make sure you post back even if it's fixed, as it may help the other person out who's having an SN-A problem.
freanAngelo

Post by freanAngelo »

do you have huge layers? fa have 128 keys maximum press or holding sustain. if you exceed, the first key that you press is muted. fa can't handle it. i wish they'll build a keyboard with upgradable RAM just like pc. to handle huge layers
artiebo

Post by artiebo »

I am having the same problem. I have latest update. On the gig tonight playing strings in a studio set. The sound dropped out. I changed patches still no sound. I had to cut the board off. If I can't get this fixed I may have to sell this board. Any suggestions?
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Make sure that your D-Beam is in-active and the assignable is not set to volume, as heat from lights, placement near a music stand etc. have been known to interfere with D-beam control.
artiebo

Post by artiebo »

Thanks. I checked the D-Beam and it was inactive. So to be clear the sound level drops to zero when:

1. Playing patches in Studio Sets
2. Playing and adjusting the Master EQ or ASDR

The problem occurred before I updated and it persits post update.

* I also noticed that when the sound drops out and I press the keys the volume meter for the patch in the Studio Set only goes up halfway regardless of the master volume or how hard I press.
Joe P

Post by Joe P »

Artie,

Not to over-simplify, but every time this happened to me my audio cable was not fully engaged in the jack due to interference from the lip on the back of the unit. This can happen with right angle cables. I run mono, so one cable goes out and poof - no sound or intermittent sound. Can't explain the output level only going half way up, though.

I've also had strange volume/output behavior because of a volume pedal in Ctrl 2 for the same reason - not fully engaged and baffling, especially on a gig or a practice while people are waiting.

I hope you find the answer!

Good Regards,
Joe
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Just curious about something, both SkylineS4 & Artiebo said this has happened on FA's used for gigging. Anyone had this problem on an FA that's been set up & not moved out of the studio? I'm wondering if the FA doesn't like to be moved around, something not seated properly inside maybe.

I've had the same problem as Joe P, (my FA is studio only, not gigging) just taking the dust cover off it and catching an audio cable can cause intermittent sound or cutting out. The audio cables need to be right in there, a slight knock can cause the sound to go.

Never had the half-way output thing though,but it's always worth checking a few things. Any sequences running on the FA with automation? Likewise for an arpeggio? Anything going to MIDI In or USB that could be unintentionally affecting the volume of a patch? And has any controller been assigned to part expression/volume or an MFX that would affect the output of a part and accidentally got pressed or turned.

Also, are you using a foot pedal? I had a Korg a while back that had a similar problem, it turned out the foot controller (assigned to expression) was dodgy and causing the issue, it would change volume without being touched, got another pedal & problem solved. Finally, with output issues it's always worth checking the TFX and/or Master Compressor if they're on.
artiebo

Post by artiebo »

I don't run sequences, samples, arpeggios, external midi, or expression/sustain pedals . Just factory patches in studio sets. I changed 1/4inch cords in the middle of the gig (sound dropped out) but it didn't help.

The irony is the main cause of sound drop outs is ANY adjustments to the eq knobs which are there for adjustments on the fly. Luckily AMS gives an additional 1yr warranty so it's going in the shop next week. I'll post any diagnoses given.
timkro

Post by timkro »

I thought my FA-07 was failing. It was having a similar problem. Turns out I had mistakenly put my sustain pedal into CTRL1 instead of HOLD. This produces problems that sound like the above mentioned issues. I'm relieved not to have to sell my brilliant FA-07. Thought I would add to the knowledge base despite having to admit a really stupid mistake.