FA-06 & System 8 Questions.

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
TragicBeatzs

FA-06 & System 8 Questions.

Post by TragicBeatzs »

Hey guys this might be a stupid question cause I don't have much knowledge on keyboards on the insides and everything. I just wanted to ask some people here what they felt about the Fa 06 compared to the System 8? I plan on buyin a system 8 soon and I have a FA already and I just wanted to know what you guys may think about if they may compliment each other or is it a waste of money? I know the FA has two powerful synth engines inside of it and it can generate some really nice sounds but I listened to the system 8 and it seemed as if that engine might be more powerful and capable of creating even better soundscapes and things. I'm not sure of course it was just a guess. I know my FA has thousands of sounds on it and they modeled a lot of piano and real world sounds into it so I know I would never trade my fa for the system 8 but I would love to know what you guy's thoughts were on this.
Skijumptoes

Re: FA-06 & System 8 Questions.

Post by Skijumptoes »

The full hands on control of the System 8 is the biggest appeal - less menu diving, and in that regards the FA can't compete. Also the synth engine is Rolands ACB which is different to the core PCM and SS engines in the FA, So they are a perfect compliment to each other.

I have my FA on the same stand/frame as a virtual analog and real analog synth, and the FA is the backbone of that when i'm not running a DAW - i'll program in a basic sequence for drums/bass arps on the FA etc. and then use the other synths for pad/lead sounds. The FA works really well in that environment, at least it does for me.

As for the system 8 being 'better', well, that's all down to perception of course - don't forget that you can layer absolutely massive studio sets with the FA if it's soundscapes that you like. The system 8, of course, gives you far more dynamic control within the soundscape when playing thanks to the real hardware controls.
TragicBeatzs

Post by TragicBeatzs »

Ahh that makes a lot of sense yo. I felt like they would be a good compliment for each other but I was really worried cause I think I read somewhere that the system 8 doesn't come with a lot of memory for patch creating or doesn't really come with sounds on it or something like that and I was like ahh damn! Cause I'm a novice so I usually try to emulate the sounds I have on board.

I do have another question which i'll ask here but might be better if i made another topic idk. I wanted to know if there was a way to make that pluck thats on the system 8 that when you press it, it dials in a lot of distortion and completely changes the character, on the FA. I dont know how to achieve it. I was hoping someone with both system or just some knowledge of it would have an idea. And you have both so you might be the best bet for it. I would love to be able to recreate that on my FA even if it wont sound as powerful as the pluck. I'd love to be able to make a couple of sounds around the idea of that.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Yeah pluck's shouldn't be a problem, is there none on there already? And have you tried the Roland Axial site? i.e. http://axial.roland.com/articles/dream-rack-shorty/

Without hearing the sound it's hard to know what you mean, any demos of the particular sound you've heard online anywhere?

The one advantage that System 8 will have is that it inherently sounds thicker/bigger, as it's feet are firmly in the vintage/analog space. But i fail to believe you can't get close, just depends how specific your needs are - sometimes it's the most subliminal of sounds that excites us and that's where different equipment shines.