Studio Set program change from external device

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Tiguspca

Studio Set program change from external device

Post by Tiguspca »

HI All,
Before buying my FA08. I used the iPhone App iMidiPatchbay to manage all my program changes. It would allow to make splits and layers and splay sond from one synth using the keyboard of another as well as manage typical controls live (hold, volume, attack, release, ...).
When my old Korg N1 died, I bought the FA08 which I really like including the Master Keyboard function. Because it was easy to assign 16 sounds on differnet channel it did pretty much all I needed and even manage the PC for my other keyboard. However, there are a couple of things, I used to be able to do which I cannont anymore. For this reason, I tried using iMidiPatchbay again to send the program changes to the FA. I read in the manual that we could send aprogram change for an entire Studio Set from an extertnal device (MSB 85, LSB 0, 1, 2 or 3 and PC 1-127).
The problem is that, it does not seem to take it. I can change the program on a specific channel for one sound but not the Studio Set. I know you need to assign a channel to send the Studio Set PC but the FA does not respond. Can this be sent from the DIN connectors or does it need to be only through the USB MIDi?
I'm routing all my keyboard through an iConnectivity Midi Interface and my iPhone sends the progam changes to the interface.

My MiIDI setting in the FA are:
Device 17
Remote keyboard switch ON
Studio Set Channel 15
USB-MIDI Thru ON
All MIDI Transmit and Receive are ON

Any help will be appreciated!
GP
tchelomgf

Re: Studio Set program change from external device

Post by tchelomgf »

Using the FA Editor, you can see in the MIDI monitor how to select Studio Sets via MIDI

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail ... S3RG9TVQT
9blackoranges

Post by 9blackoranges »

Hi,

I change all my 300plus studio sets from Ableton using USB midi. I don't know wether your mode of control will work and don't currently have access to my kit to play/try.

I do know that I need to use MSB 86 NOT 85. Apparently there is a difference in the midi numbering used by different companies starts with 0 or 1? Similarly the LSB needs to be plus 1, so for a 0 use 1 etc.

This may be the issue? Good luck.
Tiguspca

Post by Tiguspca »

Thanks, I’ll try this. Hopefully it works. Gp
tchelomgf

Post by tchelomgf »

Hi, here i am using M-VAVE Chocolate to switch songs in Setlist Maker app, wich is connected to FA via USB and performs automatic Studio Set selections and general configurations.
VID-20221023-WA0034.mp4
Using M-VAVE Chocolate to switch Studio Sets in Setlist Maker app via USB
(10.54 MiB) Downloaded 94 times