New Roland Synthesizer Workstation Coming at Namm 2014

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Quinnx.

Re: New Roland Synthesizer Workstation Coming at Namm 2014

Post by Quinnx. »

why the h*** they came up with a Stereo OUT instead of the normal MONO L/R
Well its stereo out from a single output but that may still translate as 2 channel Mono L/R when you use a Stereo Y splitter cable.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Quinnx. wrote:
Well its stereo out from a single output but that may still translate as 2 channel Mono L/R when you use a Stereo Y splitter cable.
I know Quinnx, of course it's still stereo...just wondering why they have used a TRS Stereo type OUT instead of a "normal" L/R Out...
synthguy99

Post by synthguy99 »

PauloF wrote:I know Quinnx, of course it's still stereo...just wondering why they have used a TRS Stereo type OUT instead of a "normal" L/R Out...
It might be one of those cost cutting things to make it squeeze under the $1200 US price points for the FA-06, one less output jack.

One thing which matters quite a bit to me is how many SN acoustic sounds will be included in the FA. One source from the Keyboard Corner in the musicplayer forums went through the FA sound library and indicated that indeed the FAs are going to have a selection of SN acoustic instruments, not the whole shebang. At least for now.
These are the SN instruments I could find on the instrument:
APs, EPs, clavs, B3, FM EPs, one 60s organ and one theater organ.
Acoustic and electric basses
Acoustic guitars (no electrics, distorted, plucked, ethnic)
A small selection of bells and a few mallets
Ensemble strings
Drums
A wide selection of synth tones (basses, leads, pads, box, etc.)

Missing SN sounds include:
Solo strings, brass, woodwinds. Ensemble brass and woodwinds. Electric guitars (all varieties)
Accordions, harps, harmonicas, choirs, saxes, flutes
Ethnic sounds
Percussion, e.g. tympani
I would like very much an all-in-wonderstation that offered an easy to use sequencer, had nice effects, and sounded great. That would definitely be the FA. But at the same time, I'm really wanting to play with those missing SN acoustic instruments, and learn how to add them properly into my music.

Hmm... Integra first? Or FA? Decisions, decisions...
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

PauloF wrote:
Quinnx. wrote:
I know Quinnx, of course it's still stereo...just wondering why they have used a TRS Stereo type OUT instead of a "normal" L/R Out...
It would make sense if it was essentially another headphone out in that case. For a click track for drummers they would just need headphones and an extension cable.

Alan.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Liquid wrote: It would make sense if it was essentially another headphone out in that case. For a click track for drummers they would just need headphones and an extension cable.

Alan.
Yes, that would be true if the Sub-Out had an impedance and signal adapted to headphones and not a (most probable) line level and impedance output. But of course I can be wrong...
Let's see the electrical characteristics as soon as they come out. ;-)
Solitary man

Post by Solitary man »

These are the SN instruments I could find on the instrument:
APs, EPs, clavs, B3, FM EPs, one 60s organ and one theater organ.
Acoustic and electric basses
Acoustic guitars (no electrics, distorted, plucked, ethnic)
A small selection of bells and a few mallets
Ensemble strings
Drums
A wide selection of synth tones (basses, leads, pads, box, etc.)

Missing SN sounds include:
Solo strings, brass, woodwinds. Ensemble brass and woodwinds. Electric guitars (all varieties)
Accordions, harps, harmonicas, choirs, saxes, flutes
Ethnic sounds
Percussion, e.g. tympani
I would like very much an all-in-wonderstation that offered an easy to use sequencer, had nice effects, and sounded great. That would definitely be the FA. But at the same time, I'm really wanting to play with those missing SN acoustic instruments, and learn how to add them properly into my music.

Hmm... Integra first? Or FA? Decisions, decisions...[/quote]

Are the SN sounds that much better than the SRX board patches?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Solitary man wrote: Are the SN sounds that much better than the SRX board patches?
In my opinion, yes, a lot better as more REAL and they'll give you the expressiveness that you won't find with the old SRXs.
But the good thing is to have BOTH SN and PCM !!! and the FA (and the integra-7) have, and that is the best of the two Worlds
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

I definitely like the SRX expansions best in the Integra. The SN-A sounds are mostly solo sounds (except the string sections), and for solo sounds they are mostly great. But often you also need good sections, e.g. brass and strings. The SRX 04 Symphonique Strings and SRX 10 Brass are very high level sounds. I like the SRX 04 strings better than the SN sections, and of course they are much more versatile (big string sections, small violin, viola and cello sections etc.). The SRX 10 has fantastic, realistic sections especially for classical music. I also own a Yamaha MoXF and just downloaded 3rd party orchestra libraries (Garritan Lite), but I really have to say, the SRX 04 and 10 are at least at the same level, even if they only have 64MB of waveROM per board.
Solitary man

Post by Solitary man »

I used to own SRX-06 and 07 and have to say they were exceptional quality especially 06. Only sold them recently to fund the MOXF I was going to purchase..that was before I saw the FA-08!

What's your take on the MOXF is it a sold piece of kit?
naksh31

Post by naksh31 »

Excellent thread..!!!