New Roland Synthesizer Workstation Coming at Namm 2014

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Quinnx.

Re: New Roland Synthesizer Workstation Coming at Namm 2014

Post by Quinnx. »

No real information on this yet...
there does not appear to be any audio DAW track.
However there is a suggestion that it renders all midi to multi track audio rather than
having to play every track one at a time as we do on the G.

If this is true.. it be interesting to know if the following is also true.

Being only 128 poly we will most likely run into note dropouts because of the complexity of the patches..
However..
If all midi tracks are later being rendered to audio, will this compensate for the lack of poly and integrate the extra poly sound to the rendered track/s???

(just though i would drop that one in)
;-)
kday

Post by kday »

I went to the Roland booth and played this new FA keyboard, but I was interested in the TR replacement the ARIA? That will debut in February the rep said. I don't need an extra Roland keyboard to add to my setup though, I need a Fantom X replacement. All in all, the sounds were the typical great Roland quality sounds, no better than my Fantom X sounds to me personally.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

There is no audio track in the sequencer. I'm curious if it can sample external audio while the seq is running. The seq will export audio "stems" - all at once. Obviously if you export tracks to the DAW the FA's synth section is freed up for other things.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

I'm curious if it can sample external audio while the seq is running.
Yes it can ;)
The option selected is INPUT+SEQUENCER (OR SOMETHING SIMILAR) cant remember.
Unless you just want to sample the input alone then its just INPUT.
but again..
will rendering stems integrate all poly in excess of 128 just like regular VST/Daws
that is the yet unanswered question.
cgreene

Post by cgreene »

I would like to be able to use wav drum loops and have them play in sync with the sequencer, as I can with the Fantom X. It looks as if the FA doesn't have the capability - yet. Also, are the pads velocity-sensitive? One demonstrator said yes, another said no. I hope Roland posts the manual online soon.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

cgreene wrote:I would like to be able to use wav drum loops and have them play in sync with the sequencer, as I can with the Fantom X. It looks as if the FA doesn't have the capability - yet. Also, are the pads velocity-sensitive? One demonstrator said yes, another said no. I hope Roland posts the manual online soon.
No, the Pads are Not velocity sensitive.

Who was the demonstrator that said yes? I could not identify anyone saying that in any of the demos but of course I could have missed it...
bluehonour

Post by bluehonour »

Seperate question: In the videos, Ed keeps emphasizing that FA-06 can export midi tracks as individual .wav files so we can use them in a DAW... I don't understand why this would be preferred over exporting midi tracks... Can one of you explain me please? If we transfer .wav files to a computer, we can not change anything on that recording since that file is audio. Isn't it better to transfer midi files to computer so we can do much more editing on it? I am missing something but what...
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

He didn't say you cannot export midi..
so most likely you can save as standard midi file
if not
no big deal you can just record the whole thing across midi to daw.
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

bluehonour wrote:FA-06 can export midi tracks as individual .wav files so we can use them in a DAW... I don't understand why this would be preferred over exporting midi tracks...
Polyphony. MIDI eats up your 128 notes. WAV doesn't. With individual WAVs you can still mix and trigger them as separate tracks. And you are not limited to 16 parts/tracks, nor to one TFX.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Confirmed: Midi export is available.
And you are not limited to 16 parts/tracks, nor to one TFX.
Not quite true for the FA
according to specs triggering samples is limited to 8 samples poly
specs don't say if this is stereo so we should assume for now it may translate to 4 poly stereo
either way we wont get close to or exceed the 16 track unless each sample contains a fully mixed 16 channel sample.
cminor

Post by cminor »

bluehonour wrote:Seperate question: In the videos, Ed keeps emphasizing that FA-06 can export midi tracks as individual .wav files so we can use them in a DAW... I don't understand why this would be preferred over exporting midi tracks... Can one of you explain me please? If we transfer .wav files to a computer, we can not change anything on that recording since that file is audio. Isn't it better to transfer midi files to computer so we can do much more editing on it? I am missing something but what...
I guess that the time for exporting every track is much shorter then if you record them in realtime.
plus, you may need a very good computer to be able to record 16 tracks (even track to track).
And some people may not want to install the audio card of the FA (USB) because they have other audio (sound) cards, with better options, and because FA doesn't have digital output, this way, exporting inside the FA, there will be no noise, or other interferences.

I really think it's about the exporting time...
mhilly

Post by mhilly »

Hi, on one of the vids the demonstrator uses the stem export function for a 4 track loop. It appears to play each track in turn real time to resample. I still like the idea but it may not save much time overall.
I think it's already been subject to a post, I'm interested in if the sub out is assignable so that I could send the drums on a separate track to our sound engineer. I think it is, it's a stereo jack and on some screen shots you can see 2 lines representing the sub bus. Anyone confirm? Need the manual!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

mhilly wrote:Hi, on one of the vids the demonstrator uses the stem export function for a 4 track loop. It appears to play each track in turn real time to resample. I still like the idea but it may not save much time overall.
I think it's already been subject to a post, I'm interested in if the sub out is assignable so that I could send the drums on a separate track to our sound engineer. I think it is, it's a stereo jack and on some screen shots you can see 2 lines representing the sub bus. Anyone confirm? Need the manual!
Correct, the SUB OUT is assignable and allows for Click, Drums, Bass, etc to be out independent of the Main OUTs, like on the integra-7, but with only one Sub-OUT, instead of 6 MONO or 3 Stereo Sub-Outs in the later.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

It appears to play each track in turn real time to resample.
Thats a real let down in 2014 :(
Okay so the fact that it automates the process instead of the user having to sit down and do it manually will probably allow one to go make a cup of coffee while it does the business.
but a 3 min song that uses 16 tracks is going to take over 40 mins??
even if we go to 8 tracks that still 24 mins
Not quite as exciting as rendering.
I don't know??
Is it really worth it??
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Quinnx. wrote:
It appears to play each track in turn real time to resample.
Thats a real let down in 2014 :(
Okay so the fact that it automates the process instead of the user having to sit down and do it manually will probably allow one to go make a cup of coffee while it does the business.
but a 3 min song that uses 16 tracks is going to take over 40 mins??
even if we go to 8 tracks that still 24 mins
Not quite as exciting as rendering.
I don't know??
Is it really worth it??
Don't think the resample time takes the same time as each track real length...that would be incredibly XX century... not from the guys that invented Vari-Phrase... let's see