FA 06/08. Good News Everyone! (For us integra users)

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
specialplant

Re: FA 06/08. Good News Everyone! (For us integra users)

Post by specialplant »

marczellm wrote:I mean that the Fantom was a top-quality rompler. Now we have a keyboard with top-quality rompled sounds PLUS SuperNatural Synth (a virtual analog engine) PLUS SuperNatural Acoustic (including clonewheel organ, piano, EP simulation etc.) PLUS user sampling...
The FA certainly also has some MINUSes compared to Fantom: It does NOT have all the top-quality rompled sounds of the Fantom G, but instead it has the PCM waveROM from the XV 5080. That's a huge difference: The Fantom G had a combination of Fantom X waveROM plus a selection of high-quality SRX sounds plus some new sounds (waveROM size 256 MB). The XV 5080 waveROM dates from the year 2000, it's a step back from Fantom X (waveROM 64 MB). The other sections, SN-A and SN-S, compensate a lot, but you will miss some good sounds from the Fantom G, especially those from SRX boards. Consider the SN-A area doesn't cover any section sounds besides strings, only solo sounds. For me an important question is: what waveform packages will be offered for the 2 expansion slots?
cminor

Post by cminor »

marczellm wrote: Price range around the JUNOs, features above Fantom!
The only feature that Fantom doesn't have is that multitrack wave export.
As sounds, yes, FA has those SuperNatural...
But also X have the SRX cards , and the G has ARX.
Hmm.. what does sound better?
It's a question of taste, I think...

Still I am willing to buy a FA-06 for that multitrack export. I was hopping for a digital interface (SPDIF or OPTIC), but... that is a good option.

marczellm wrote: PLUS user sampling...
You mean Sample Trigger. It is not a full sampler. You can't use in patches as user waveform not even a sampled note.
The FA Sampler is a Trigger Sampler. Still, it's usefull. But I think, that this FA is going to rise the price for second hand Fantoms.
I goes the Trigger Sampler, SP404 si connected like a module to the FA sequencer, like a virtual midi device, or something like that.
I think Roland have made the FA this way to resolve the loading time problem of the Fantom X/G.
marczellm

Post by marczellm »

cminor wrote: You mean Sample Trigger. It is not a full sampler. You can't use in patches as user waveform not even a sampled note.
That's weird. The JUNO-G had the ability to create patches based on user samples, even though there was no multisampling. Are you sure FA doesn't do that?
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

Just read the specifications on roland.com. The sampler has no connection to the sound engine, "samples cannot be used as wave data for the sound engine". The sampler is just a SP-404SX unit thrown in, only usable for the pads.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

marczellm wrote:
cminor wrote: You mean Sample Trigger. It is not a full sampler. You can't use in patches as user waveform not even a sampled note.
That's weird. The JUNO-G had the ability to create patches based on user samples, even though there was no multisampling. Are you sure FA doesn't do that?
No it doesn't support multisampling.

But given the huge palette of sounds ranging from the SN-Acoustic, SN-Synth, SN-Drums, PCM-Synth and Drums from the integra-7 + all the available libraries of SN-Synth sounds from Axial website + the future SRX Library sounds that will be available soon from the Axial website + all the tweaking possibilities + Sampler for creating Backing tracks + the linear sequencer, I think that this machine is very well equipped sound and feature wise anyway.