FA 06/08. Good News Everyone! (For us integra users)

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
PauloF

Re: FA 06/08. Good News Everyone! (For us integra users)

Post by PauloF »

cminor wrote: ...

Still, I hope that at list , the FA/06/08 have balanced outputs.

"MAIN Output Jacks (L/MONO, R): 1/4-inch TRS phone type"
Doesn't say balanced, but a TRS must mean that...
No cminor, TRS means Tip Ring Sleeve, not necessarily Balanced

In this case, and until otherwise info, unfortunately they are not balanced

I agree that FA's should include not only the SPDIF OUT but also balanced outs and aux outs like in the integra.
But that won't stop me to have one.

Regarding your posts and what Piaknow said... Well is not what you said but the way you said it... At least IMHO

Regards
PauloF
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Hi PauloF.

There is a 'Sub Output' on the FA's. I'm not sure as to the type of output. TRRP - Balanced Stereo?
One video suggesting sending a click track through it. Hmmm.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

piaknowguy wrote:Hi PauloF.

There is a 'Sub Output' on the FA's. I'm not sure as to the type of output. TRRP - Balanced Stereo?
One video suggesting sending a click track through it. Hmmm.
hi Piaknow,
You're right, In fact I forgot that one yes, but from Gareth's explanation on SonicState's demo, that is a MONO OUT and is exclusive for Click Track... At least I understood it that way...very useful in some situations but odd if it is not assignable. Need More info on this and on other items too like how to edit the PCM synth parameters, for example...
alphaC

Post by alphaC »

it sounds very flat, even worse then I7. Second Hand FantomG is better choice.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

alphaC wrote:it sounds very flat, even worse then I7. Second Hand FantomG is better choice.
Provided that you can get a used G (in good condition) for less that a new FA, maybe I would think twice... don't know
cello

Post by cello »

Don't know for sure about the Sub Out but I think it's assignable. Gareth has done several promo videos (Sweetwater, GAK, etc) and I'm sure in one of them he mentions that the sub out can be used 'for things like' a click track.
scipio

Post by scipio »

Roland FA08 vs Roland INTEGRA 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQHukzEsmZI
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

cello wrote:Don't know for sure about the Sub Out but I think it's assignable. Gareth has done several promo videos (Sweetwater, GAK, etc) and I'm sure in one of them he mentions that the sub out can be used 'for things like' a click track.
Humm...just heard again what Gareth says at the Nevada demo, and about the SUB-OUT @18:36 Gareth says "for the Click, Bass, etc".

The other good news are that the Main OUTs are BALANCED, as we can see from the close-up

So It clarifies these doubts

This is just getting better ;-)
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

I think this keyboard will remain in synth history as the one who killed the software synths.
It's a master stroke from Roland.
Also from a marketing point of view. It's not a Juno, so it's not an entry-level keyboard. It's not a Jupiter or a V-synth or a full-fledged Fantom, so it's not a top-level battleship either.
So what it is?
It's an intermediate level.
It masterfully creates a new niche on the market: people who would buy a non-expensive board yet did not want to be branded as "cheapskates". This board is the perfect opportunity to buy the best bang for the buck and still not be ashamed in front of all other keyboard players. They may be driving their Porsches, Buicks and Chevys but your new Prius keyboard is as smart as it can get.
Make no mistake: the Krome is no Prius. It's a fake Lambo.
alphaC wrote:it sounds very flat, even worse then I7. Second Hand FantomG is better choice.
If you're looking for build quality, definitely. However, used usually comes with hidden "perks" - you never know if and when the previous owner spilled the coffee inside it. Maybe it's a far-fetched thought, but nevertheless possible.
If you want the most portable version, you won't get the Fantom G, which is quite heavy. Even the smallest FG-6 variant is quite heavy at 15 kg.
I won't discuss the FA-08 variant which I see as a "mixed bag" approach. I personally don't see much of its utility as a workstation, but it's just me.

As regarding the poor quality of some demos, I think it's the video, not the keyboard's fault.
Judging from the Nevada demo, it's definitely friendlier towards the user than a Fantom-G. I'm not sure yet but I think that's the sequencer I'm going to like - and I don't think I'll be the only one.
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

cminor wrote: No innovation.
NOTHING!
The innovation is in what they give you for the money. What $1199 Roland has ever had a wide selection of SN sounds? A large color screen? 16 sounds with 16 effects simultaneously? All the pad functionality? etc. I also like what looks like a welcome emphasis on ease of use, which is a valuable feature.

This board is in probably the biggest selling and most profitable price range. But it is not where you should expect the new revolutionary changes you might look for in a $3500 board. Instead, compare it to what Roland has previously offered in this price range, and to what other companies are offering in this price range. I think it looks very competitive.
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

Wow, not even sure which thread to post in!

I'm going to add that I agree with the general sentiment that these boards looks exciting and I'm so glad the Integra engine is now the basis of Roland keyboards sound engine. The FA-06/08 strike me as having the right combination of sonic power, workstation features, affordability and price. I had the feeling when I watched the sonic state video and the keyboardmag one that if these boards had been out in 2010 when I was first looking to get a new keyboard for live and studio, these would have been a no brainer (with my taste for Roland sounds above all the others). Of course we have to wait for the finer details and potential gotchas to be revealed but the signs look good. I'm wondering if RPS and seamless switching survived, what the DAW control and MIDI control is like and if all that was in the G made it to the FAx with improvements, if the catch mode is still there, how much the pads can do, what the "wave expansion via SD card" really means (hopefully SRX series can get loaded that way), and how much patch/tone and studio set memory is there.

Questions already answered are the sampler is limited and not for instruments, SRX look not to be on-board, on the keyboardmag foruma guy from sweetwater said that the DA conversion/output quality is outstanding and that the screen is very good, that the organ is an update of the VR-09 one, the build quality is OK and the keyed is like a VR-09 on the 61 (which is what I was expecting). It won't have the Fantom G build quality, but it won't have the weight and price either! Hopefully they have kept the right features and only discarded the lesser used but nice to have stuff.

If it ticks all the boxes I may be making a big change to my setup. I'll be playing one as soon as I can to decide.
cminor

Post by cminor »

PauloF wrote:
I know what TRS means. Then why a TRS jack if not balanced?

PauloF wrote:
I agree that FA's should include not only the SPDIF OUT but also balanced outs and aux outs like in the integra.
If FA 06/07 had SPDIF Out/In , it was my next keyboard.
Without it... I am still thinking... who knows , maybe after seeing more...
PauloF wrote: Regarding your posts and what Piaknow said... Well is not what you said but the way you said it... At least IMHO
Maybe I was a little upset, him too, I am sorry, but I'm not angry on him, I am just a little sad. I wanted more from Roland, that's it.

I am wainting to see how are organized the audio loops in the sequencer. That could be in fact, the thing about the FA-06/08.
The way you can use/cut/ integrate audio loops in sequencer, and if could made scenes like Ableton Live, can make the FA-06/08 a revolution.
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

cminor wrote:
PauloF wrote:
I know what TRS means. Then why a TRS jack if not balanced?
TRS connection can be use for balanced mono or for unbalanced stereo.
marczellm

Post by marczellm »

This is amazing. Price range around the JUNOs, features above Fantom!

I mean that the Fantom was a top-quality rompler. Now we have a keyboard with top-quality rompled sounds PLUS SuperNatural Synth (a virtual analog engine) PLUS SuperNatural Acoustic (including clonewheel organ, piano, EP simulation etc.) PLUS user sampling...

So we have most of the Korg Kronos (excluding FM and more hardcore VA synthesis) for one third of the price!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

marczellm wrote:This is amazing. Price range around the JUNOs, features above Fantom!

I mean that the Fantom was a top-quality rompler. Now we have a keyboard with top-quality rompled sounds PLUS SuperNatural Synth (a virtual analog engine) PLUS SuperNatural Acoustic (including clonewheel organ, piano, EP simulation etc.) PLUS user sampling...

So we have most of the Korg Kronos (excluding FM and more hardcore VA synthesis) for one third of the price!
We can also say... We have much more than the Krome at a similar price range