FA 06 + FA08

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
PauloF

Re: FA 06 + FA08

Post by PauloF »

anotherscott wrote:
Jan_nl wrote:This would not be such a big deal if it were possible to install additional SN instruments in the future, and that is why I am curious about what sort of instrument packs aside from the SRX Roland has in mind for the FA.
From what they have said so far, nothing but SRX. We don't know whether or not it's a technical limitation. Maybe they will come out with SN packs a year from now, or never, no one knows. But I wouldn't buy an FA expecting it to do anything more than they say it will when you buy it.
I don't think it will be just SRX no, but also SN-Synth tones, as they are announcing the following http://Www.roland.com

SuperNATURAL synth engine is fully compatible with the expansive collection of free INTEGRA-7 synth tones available from Roland’s Axial sound library site
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

PauloF wrote:I don't think it will be just SRX no, but also SN-Synth tones, as they are announcing the following here

SuperNATURAL synth engine is fully compatible with the expansive collection of free INTEGRA-7 synth tones available from Roland’s Axial sound library site
I was under the impression that the SN-Synth tones don't take expansion slots; they are merely settings for the existing synth engine that comes in the FA (unlike the SRX tones which require the presence of new samples, and therefore take up the memory allocated to the expansion slots)
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

PauloF wrote:I don't think it will be just SRX no, but also SN-Synth tones, as they are announcing the following here

I was under the impression that the SN-Synth tones don't take expansion slots; they are merely settings for the existing synth engine that comes in the FA (unlike the SRX tones which require the presence of new samples, and therefore take up the memory allocated to the expansion slots)
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

Two things are mixed up here. The SN-Synth sounds can be expanded only on the basis of the old waveforms already inside the FA. All the collections on Axial are only reprogrammed sounds of the samples already inside the Integra/Jupiter/FA. Probably, you won't need the slots for this purpose at all. It's just like editing a preset sound yourself by changing filter parameters etc. and storing it on a user location; now the editing has already been done by Axial, that's it.
The SLOTS are for additional WAVEFORMS! You don't get them by the Axial collections mentioned in your quotation, but only by the new special Axial collections for the FA that will include waveforms.
synthguy99

Post by synthguy99 »

Yes, the SN synth is different from the SN acoustic stuff, that seems like it has added sample layers that are manipulated with the SN engine to articulate the basic instrument samples. So as Another Scott says, it's best to assume that the FA won't get new SN acoustic instruments, because if those new SN instruments never get released, you'll be disappointed. If they do, then it's a happy bonus.
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

synthguy99 wrote:Yes, the SN synth is different from the SN acoustic stuff, that seems like it has added sample layers that are manipulated with the SN engine to articulate the basic instrument samples. So as Another Scott says, it's best to assume that the FA won't get new SN acoustic instruments, because if those new SN instruments never get released, you'll be disappointed. If they do, then it's a happy bonus.
I thought some of the Virtual SRX cards in the Integra have SN-A sounds though? Unless I'm getting that wrong.
Tino64

Post by Tino64 »

jimmy wrote:
synthguy99 wrote:Yes, the SN synth is different from the SN acoustic stuff, that seems like it has added sample layers that are manipulated with the SN engine to articulate the basic instrument samples. So as Another Scott says, it's best to assume that the FA won't get new SN acoustic instruments, because if those new SN instruments never get released, you'll be disappointed. If they do, then it's a happy bonus.
I thought some of the Virtual SRX cards in the Integra have SN-A sounds though? Unless I'm getting that wrong.
INTEGRA7 Expansions SuperNATURAL Sounds

ExSN1 Ethnic
ExSN2 Wood Winds
ExSN3 Session
ExSN4 A.Guitar
ExSN5 Brass
ExSN6 SFX
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

jimmy wrote:I thought some of the Virtual SRX cards in the Integra have SN-A sounds though? Unless I'm getting that wrong.
By definition, the SRX cards have SRX sounds. There are also SN-A sounds that can be installed into the Integra's virtual slots, which at least as of now, are not expected to be available to be loaded into the FA.

SRX refers specifically to the sound sets you can see here:

http://www.rolandus.com/flash/demos/srx/
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Ah ok, so ExSN != SRX. The big question is whether the FA will have ExSN capability then I suppose.
synthguy99

Post by synthguy99 »

jimmy wrote:I thought some of the Virtual SRX cards in the Integra have SN-A sounds though? Unless I'm getting that wrong.
As far as I know, the virtual SRX cards in the Integra are completely unchanged from the original data, including the patches programmed into the cards originally. While it's possible that some of the SN acoustic sounds use SRX samples, I'm betting that the technology in the SN engine necessitates using all new samples, which work with the articulation elements properly. Roland is being rather quiet about that SN acoustic stuff, and it does sound great, so it must be some pretty clever technology. I have heard some very nice KONTAKT stuff, but no one ever explains how it's articulated or anything, so for all I know, they play some stuff into a DAW and edit the heck out of it. Meanwhile, on the Jupiters, Integra and FA, you just play, and it sounds good.
crooner

Post by crooner »

The Fantom G8 still rocks at the top.
I agree they should offer either a new workstation or keep quiet and give updates to the fantom g.

Are they still selling the G8?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

crooner wrote:The Fantom G8 still rocks at the top.
I agree they should offer either a new workstation or keep quiet and give updates to the fantom g.

Are they still selling the G8?
Yes they are still selling it. At least, lots of dealers still have it listed
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

jimmy wrote: I thought some of the Virtual SRX cards in the Integra have SN-A sounds though? Unless I'm getting that wrong.
No, the SRX Cards on the Integra are the All PCM based and reproductions of the 12x Original SRX cards offered to several Roland Synths like the Xvxxxx series, the Fantoms, the SonicCell, Juno Stage, etc.

Regarding Sound Expansion, the FAs support the following two methods/types of Patches/Tones:

1- All INTEGRA SN-S /SN-D Sounds from the AXIAL website (Integra) scan be uploaded to the FA, to its 512x SN-S and 64x SN-D USER Banks

EDITED (Thanks for the correction Specialplant):
2- Up to 2x FA's EXPXX Collections, taken from the PCM SRXs, can be Loaded to the FA's EXP Slots.
At the Moment there is only one EXP, the EXP01 (Dance Trax Collection), which is a subset of the SRX-08 (Platinum Trax).
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

PauloF wrote: At the Moment there is only one EXP, the EXP01 (Supreme Dance), which is a subset of the SRX-05 (Supreme Dance).
no, a subset of the SRX-08. (BTW, SRX-08 is a re-release of the old dance boards with waveforms from the 1990s, while SRX-05 contains newly developed stuff from the 2000s.)
Grammar Wombat

Post by Grammar Wombat »

You should forgive Paulo. People of his advanced age often have momentary "brain farts."

But, that begs the question:

Why does Paulo have so much more hair than I?