fmw

FA 06 + FA08

Post by fmw »

You can see the first videos on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... +fa08&sm=3
Synthtron

Re: FA 06 + FA08

Post by Synthtron »

The Naysayers were WRONG again about workstations being dead!
drpopper

Post by drpopper »

Synthtron wrote:The Naysayers were WRONG again about workstations being dead!
But maybe not about flagship workstations ...
This isn't a Fantom G replacement but rather a cheaper lower end board targeting the korg Krome and Yamaha MoxF market.
spottingjonah

Post by spottingjonah »

Synthtron wrote:The Naysayers were WRONG again about workstations being dead!
Yeah, well, the Yaysayers (like me) were wrong too. I really hope pro-workstations aren't a thing of the past for Roland.
techie

Post by techie »

I really like new FA-06, finally a replacement for my Juno-G, which has everything i need in one box - sequencer, sampler, SN, XV sounds, Audio&Midi over/ USB, with color LCD and weighting 5.7 Kg ! It's cool and damn powerful if used properly !

Ok, maybe not so cool for Fantom-G or Integra owners, but :
a) Integra is more studio oriented device so why to compare ?
b) For Fantom-G users group it's a good sign - Roland keeps producing on workstation market and who knows what will be next at MusikMesse ?

I don't regret that i sold mox, didn't buy moxf or krome (which are good boards, no offence) and kept waiting - because now i'll have Roland workstation again and yes i admit i'm objective - i prefer Roland workflow and sounding.
Macska

Post by Macska »

Good points techie. The FA is one heck of an upgrade for people who have been using the junos.
If I didn't have the G and Integra I would be all over it. One thing I see it as is a merging of all of Roland's keyboard technology in the past few years. You get te highlights of the G, Integra, Jupiter, and I'm holding out to learn more about its sampling because how cool would it be if it had some V-synth capabilities?

If I was rich I would probably get one just for performing, it looks like with the looping it would be a great EDM performance synth. Right now for fun gigs playing electronic dance I've got my V-synth and a novation launchpad set up, but the FA would be a convenient alternative, and so much more.
hoodedclaw

Post by hoodedclaw »

Sampler section sucks, it's based on the SP404SX, no multisampling capabilities on these.
jabberwocky

Post by jabberwocky »

No mfx chaining... Lets wait some orchestrated os updates.
keysme

Post by keysme »

No after-touch either. The FA will likely compete with the Korg Krome which isn't saying much if you ask me. The video demonstration was also disappointing and it must be made of plastic since the 61 key version weighs a measly 12 lbs. 10 oz. The first impression I got was a Juno-G with a few extra goodies thrown in. If there are supernatural patches they sure didn't showcase any of them. ;)

The FA is by no means a Fantom G successor. I suspect the price will be around $1,500 which would make it a mid-range keyboard. Mediocre product(s) are not a winning business strategy and Roland's bottom line has taken a hit as a result. For whatever reason they've decided to "cut corners" in order to contain costs. Which seems appropriate if you're losing money hand over fist. ;) I think Roland could turn things around if they focused instead on cutting edge products that are worth writing home about. Lately that hasn't been the case if you ask me.

On the other hand the Fantom G still rocks after five years on the market. Sound on Sound magazine called the Fantom G the only real competitor to the Korg Kronos. The FA should be a decent, entry-level keyboard. It won't cost an arm and a leg and there's got to be some decent patches in there somewhere. ;) Let's hope so anyway!
synthgirl910

Post by synthgirl910 »

I am new to this board, and excited to see a new workstation on the market. I am long overdue for new equipment, my last purchase was a Korg Triton about 13 years ago. This FA08 sounds like it will be fine for my projects. I enjoyed my Roland XP-50 for years before the Triton came along.
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Welcome Synthgirl!

Glad you could join us! If the FA-08 sounds anything like the Integra 7, which it does, this board will be
amazing, especially for those who want a lighter 88 keyboard workstation.

Fantom G - 74 lbs.
FA-08 - 36 lbs.

Cheers!
cello

Post by cello »

Welcome to RC synthgirl910 :)

I really like the FA-0x! My local Roland shop gets a demo unit next week sometime, so I'll be round there trying her out. I don't have the Integra so those 2,000 Integra sounds are appealing. As is the quick scratch idea-pad capability. Then there's a looper in there too. Fantastic price for what's in there.

Yep, I can see me signing up for an FA-06.

(I can also see the Repository of Sound being extended too... lol!)
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

keysme wrote:The FA is by no means a Fantom G successor. I suspect the price will be around $1,500 which would make it a mid-range keyboard.
Price is $1199.00 at SweetWater - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FA06
Glad I held off on getting the Juno Gi now, this seems like a perfect "low-budget" way of getting a multitimbral SuperNatural synth. I was really impressed with the Integra-7 sounds but they start at $1500 used, and I'd have to get a MIDI controller to use it, where as this might actually be affordable for me (just) :)

Interesting how this also boasts a 16 part sequencer, which means it must have a more powerful CPU than the Integra-7 since with all 16 parts going there can be rhythm issues, so this might even push used integra's down into the sub-$1000 range, so if you're thinking of selling I'd do it now...

Agreed that the price of this is great for what you get, addresses a lot of the things missing in previous roland products while keeping a low price.
cello

Post by cello »

It also boots up in 7secs - which includes sample data! That's pretty amazing. Kronos takes 2 minutes. Fantom G something less but still a while.

I thought my JP-80 loaded quickly at around 15 seconds - and that doesn't have any sample data (other than onboard PCMs)!

UK street pricing as follows:

FA-06 - £825
FA-08 - £1,299

I also like the simplicity approach (taking the 'work' out of the workstation) - I am proud to have been able to have owned an OASYS, but talk about complex! You really had to plan your sound creation so carefully. The Kronos is the same basically - except you have the added negative of a smaller screen. The FA-0x keeps sound creation simple as, it does with capturing ideas.
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Hopefully a tone/voice list will be available soon so we can see what patches from the Integra are on there. According to this site it will be available 31st March so we've still got a bit of a wait.
All of the INTEGRA-7’s SuperNATURAL synth and XV-5080 PCM tones are onboard, plus an essential collection of ultra-expressive SuperNATURAL acoustic tones that includes pianos, organs, drums, bass, strings, and more.
(from http://www.rolandconnect.com/product.php?p=fa-08)
I love the Synth tones I've heard from the INTEGRA-7 so that is truely awesome they are all included on there.