Plans for higher end FA variant as G successor?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Luc

Plans for higher end FA variant as G successor?

Post by Luc »

It appears Fantom G is discontinued so I wonder if Roland is abandoning workstations with sound engine supporting user samples. I really like the FA but not being able to import new sounds (e.g. CP70, DX7 rhodes, Oberheim analog sounds...) is an issue for me.

Did Roland make any statements if they don't offer any more high-end workstations? It's weird they have now this hole in their lineup not having any synth offering sound engine user samples.

The FA is excellent value but I'd gladly pay more to replace my 10 year old Fantom X (if it offers fast load times).

Not as familiar with workstation competition but seems Yamaha has still the XF (albeit not brand new model either) and Korg has the Kronos. But I prefer the dynamic range characteristics of Roland. So I hope they will offer something in that space.
Quinnx.

Re: Plans for higher end FA variant as G successor?

Post by Quinnx. »

I think you will be waiting along time to get any kind of update to either the fantom or FA.
but dont discount your X just yet.
Load time can be improved if you use smaller CF cards 128mb should be enough
and treat each cf like projects.
at this point the FA is your man as an addon to the X
and with srx expansions on the way you will have more than enough to deal with.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Luc wrote:It appears Fantom G is discontinued so I wonder if Roland is abandoning workstations with sound engine supporting user samples. I really like the FA but not being able to import new sounds (e.g. CP70, DX7 rhodes, Oberheim analog sounds...) is an issue for me.

Did Roland make any statements if they don't offer any more high-end workstations? It's weird they have now this hole in their lineup not having any synth offering sound engine user samples.

The FA is excellent value but I'd gladly pay more to replace my 10 year old Fantom X (if it offers fast load times).

Not as familiar with workstation competition but seems Yamaha has still the XF (albeit not brand new model either) and Korg has the Kronos. But I prefer the dynamic range characteristics of Roland. So I hope they will offer something in that space.
Honestly, if you are looking for a X or a G successor (if those are not suitable!) that loads Multisamples into the sound engine in order to create new sounds, it might be better to look elsewhere. KORG and YAMAHA are still doing that. Korg on the Kronos and Yamaha on the XF and on the MOXF.

EDITED: Of course I would prefer to have that on a Roland too, but having the SuperNatural Analogue sounds that CAN be slightly tweaked + the SuperNatural Synth and Drum Sounds (almost infinite possibilities of VA) + a big number of the legacy XV/Fantom sounds + all the SRXs that would be available on a near future, at least for me, the FA with its SAMPLER and Linear SEQUENCER would be a MASSIVE addition to my rig for years to come.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

I really like the FA but not being able to import new sounds (e.g. CP70, DX7 rhodes, Oberheim analog sounds...) is an issue for me.
The FA is already capable of creating these sounds either thru SRX expansions or using the SN synth.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Devnor wrote:
I really like the FA but not being able to import new sounds (e.g. CP70, DX7 rhodes, Oberheim analog sounds...) is an issue for me.
The FA is already capable of creating these sounds either thru SRX expansions or using the SN synth.
And maybe the Sampler+Sequencer can give a help in what create new sounds is concerned... ;-)
Luc

Post by Luc »

Devnor wrote:
Roland never produced any competitor sounds obviously because of legal reasons. You may get something that sounds kind of like it but it's not the same. Roland doesn't have any good CP70 imitation imo. I do have one SRX that kind of gets close but it's just no real comparison so I just instead load it from CF.

Also I have software synths and it's nice to just multi-sample it and transfer it (e.g. multi-velocity sampled DX7 Rhodes).
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Quinnx. wrote:I think you will be waiting along time to get any kind of update to either the fantom or FA.
Several SD Cards...Very clever idea Quinnx ;-)

But we can use only one...
We can even use a trick that I used with my SonicCell, which was to have just one memory stick but with several DIRECTORIES and a small PC Librarian program that quickly swapped the Data from one of the MEMORY DIRECTORIES to the Operational directory.
I'll be glad to adapt my little prog to the FA, as soon as I know the file format and dir structures
Luc

Post by Luc »

PauloF wrote:
Quinnx. wrote:I think you will be waiting along time to get any kind of update to either the fantom or FA.
Several SD Cards...Very clever idea Quinnx ;-)

But we can use only one...
We can even use a trick that I used with my SonicCell, which was to have just one memory stick but with several DIRECTORIES and a small PC Librarian program that quickly swapped the Data from one of the MEMORY DIRECTORIES to the Operational directory.
I'll be glad to adapt my little prog to the FA, as soon as I know the file format and dir structures
Yes I use that. I created btw the Fantom X sample editor few years ago which helps to easily load or delete samples using PC. This all works fine but you'd think after 10 years there would be a newer synth with more capabilities like the FA with nice improved sound engine and fast loading times. I'd buy it if it had that 1 feature to import user samples for sound engine. Alas it doesn't have that. So I'm still hoping...

Playing live you can't reproduce certain sounds so sequencer won't help you there to play a nice Rhodes or authentic CP70 sound (or some unique identifiable orchestra hits you can't really reproduce with built-in samples).

The Yamaha XF (I used to own Motif) dynamic range is great and better for acoustic instruments like piano's but I miss the low end range of Roland which sounds less digital. I have a feeling loading samples still goes through that same engine and wouldn't yield the same sound (could be wrong though).
The Korg typically has generally speaking slightly compressed dynamic range for my taste despite great sounds it comes with. The crossfade loop functionality though is pretty cool. One feature I'd like to see in a Roland.
Jan_nl

Post by Jan_nl »

Actually, I'd love to have a flagship workstation featuring the V-synth V3 (including the vocal designer) and all the SN sounds of the Integra.
I think that is an area where Roland really shines and managed to create a niche of their own: their proprietary V-technology.

Unfortunately I have not heard or read of any plans to make that happen.
But who knows...
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Jan_nl wrote:Actually, I'd love to have a flagship workstation featuring the V-synth V3 (including the vocal designer) and all the SN sounds of the Integra.
I think that is an area where Roland really shines and managed to create a niche of their own: their proprietary V-technology.

Unfortunately I have not heard or read of any plans to make that happen.
But who knows...
Who knows if the new AIRA Synth does have Variphrase??? ;-)