no pattern sequencer WTF?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Solitary man

Re: no pattern sequencer WTF?

Post by Solitary man »

Quinnx. wrote: I would give it the 30 day try out at least for the price..
Yeap I'll go with that.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Solitary man wrote:
PauloF wrote:
Solitary man wrote:...
So why have Roland made the sequencer linear?! I was really getting into the FA-08 and was ready to go with it but as the sequencing of songs is very important to me I may have to go with the Yammy MOXF8.
Can anyone shed a little bit of light on whether there are any workarounds?

Thanks.
No one is never happy... ;-)

There are two workarounds that I can remember of.

- To have a Fantom G too together with the FA, exactly like Quinnx suggested
- To have a proper DAW, and forget about Workstation Sequencers or use them just as scratchpads. Much more powerful than ANY workstation in the market (including the mighty Oasys, Kronos, XS, XF, FX, FG...)
Paulo Don't you mean, No one is EVER happy? ;-)

I have sold my Fantom X in the hope the FA will replace it. I know I should have waited to read the user guide first but, well, oh dear I just go so excited and thought Roland would never drop such an integral part of their workstation ethos.

I think the only workaround for me if I finally feel I want this synth over the MOXF8 is to buy a cheap hardware sequencer like the Yamaha RMX-1. I had one of these years ago, naff sounds but awesome sequencer.
Yes I did, but you have to excuse my bad English, as it is not my primary language...

I also had a X, but unfortunately I had to sell it too due to economics...
If you are relying on Multi-samples, RPS and the likes, the FA will not be a replacement for the X at all, although the way the Sampler and Sequencer are implemented gives us a lot of possibilities IMO.
Gambler

Post by Gambler »

Oh well... I guess my Juno Gi stays where it is. Pattern sequencer is what I miss in it the most. I bought KaossPad 3 to work around the lack of looping and sampling.
cminor

Post by cminor »

Quinnx. wrote:Integra sound engine with to come.. SRX library and more...
And more what?
1. What integra sound engine?
I study the manual. They are only TONES. Not PATCHES/PROGRAMS.
As I read, you can't use the waveforms to make other "patches", only modify the cutoff/resonance/ADSR/ controllers and save as...
I don't want to be bad, but the GW-8 "workstation" / arranger has the same "commercial"...
"Tones from Fantom".
Yeah, but only the Sounds, not the Patches, you can't modify the patch inside, you can't change the patch structure. You can only makeup a little the sound.

SRX...
Hmm..
The Fantom-G was a beautiful promise for the fans.
Something new? Not important updates.

I like FA, for what it does. But this kind of commercial is a lie.
I don't like liers.
For now, I prefer to keep holding to my money, until I have enough for a Fantom-G or Integra-7.
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

Sound like what we all really want is a fantom g with the integra sound engine! Shave off a kilos too. My D-70 is 76 keys and weighs barely 10kgs and has a sweet keybed! Surely Roland can bring that form factor back. LOL.
robertkoa

Post by robertkoa »

Yes. No RPS = BAD

As a former Power User on an XP 60 years ago this was an extremely powerful feature with the

possibility to nest patterns and re record then into other Patterns and the Current Song and Import

Patterns from OTHER SONGS into CURRENT SONG etc etc etc.

I imagine its a real PIA to do this with a Computer Sequencer ....

Did this save money for Roland to OMIT RPS ?

It is nearly impossible to offer an UPDATE which would include even as Paid Sequencer Update ?
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

I study the manual. They are only TONES. Not PATCHES/PROGRAMS.
As I read, you can't use the waveforms to make other "patches", only modify the cutoff/resonance/ADSR/ controllers and save as..
From what im reading
Supernatural and the FA is broken in to 4 category`s

Synth SN have 3 partials which can be swapped out and apply AMP FILTER FX

PCM
Consisting of upto 4 partials again AMP FILTER FX

Acoustic is a single block which you can edit character parameters relating to the dynamic of that SN Instrument.

Drums
This is basically a kit containing upto 62 SN partials, each one with its own independent settings
again to effect overall tone. Everything else is taken care of automatically with SN.

So in general, SN Acoustic are real world instruments that you use and they play just like the real thing with all the work done for you.

PCM and Synth SN give you more partials with the SN synth giving you the authentic character of that synth/Osc type but giving your full control over AMP FILTER FX

and if you want to mix one with the other you simply do this inside a studio set.
specialplant

Patches vs Tones in new Roland terminology

Post by specialplant »

Roland just changed their terminology without changing the sophisticated architecture in the PCM area.
I was first shocked when I read about the Integra that it uses "Tones", because I knew the term "Tones" from the poor sound architecture of arranger keyboards where you can't see and switch waveforms. But in the Integra and FA, Roland uses the term "tones" in the same sense it used "patch" before. Like a patch consisted of four tones in the Fantoms, now a tone consists of four partials - (only in the PCM area!)
So: patch (Fantom) = tone (FA/Integra); tone (Fantom) = partial (FA/Integra).

The PCM area (inclusing SRX expansions) provides the most editing options, more than SN-Synth. It has 4 instead of 3 partials, and you can use key-off samples (important for harpsichord for example), which you can't in the SN-Synth section.
PauloF

Re: Patches vs Tones in new Roland terminology

Post by PauloF »

specialplant wrote:Roland just changed their terminology without changing the sophisticated architecture in the PCM area.
I was first shocked when I read about the Integra that it uses "Tones", because I knew the term "Tones" from the poor sound architecture of arranger keyboards where you can't see and switch waveforms. But in the Integra and FA, Roland uses the term "tones" in the same sense it used "patch" before. Like a patch consisted of four tones in the Fantoms, now a tone consists of four partials - (only in the PCM area!)
So: patch (Fantom) = tone (FA/Integra); tone (Fantom) = partial (FA/Integra).

The PCM area (inclusing SRX expansions) provides the most editing options, more than SN-Synth. It has 4 instead of 3 partials, and you can use key-off samples (important for harpsichord for example), which you can't in the SN-Synth section.
I believe the Wavetables used in the SN-S Synth contain those type of samples as we can see several Plucked instruments in the table, but agree that there are no identifiable key-off samples that we can add to the sound generator's partials.
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

It's not the question whether there are adequate samples for key-off sounds: the editing architecture in the SN-Synth section does not allow triggering a sample at all when the key is released.
Saxifraga

Post by Saxifraga »

I think what everyone wants are at least six virtual SRX board slots for twelve downloadable SRX that cost nothing. ;)
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

specialplant wrote:It's not the question whether there are adequate samples for key-off sounds: the editing architecture in the SN-Synth section does not allow triggering a sample at all when the key is released.
That's exactly what I said using other words specialplant
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

PauloF wrote:
specialplant wrote:It's not the question whether there are adequate samples for key-off sounds: the editing architecture in the SN-Synth section does not allow triggering a sample at all when the key is released.
Ok, sorry, I wasn't entirely sure if you meant it that way, sorry for repeating!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

specialplant wrote:
PauloF wrote:
Ok, sorry, I wasn't entirely sure if you meant it that way, sorry for repeating!
;-)