SuperNatural Engine FA/0x versus Integra-7

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Keybdwizrd

Re: SuperNatural Engine FA/0x versus Integra-7

Post by Keybdwizrd »

Thanks for all of the detailed comparison work here.

It's hard to sort out all of these new Roland instruments, in terms of what has what.

Maybe it is easiest to consider it all in terms of what you want to do, or how you want to work.

- The Jupiters (I have a 50) are really for playing. They are mostly about Live Sets and Registrations - layering and splitting sounds on the keyboard. Yes, you can record them, but they are not really multi-timbral. Although the Lower/Upper/Solo parts can be assigned to different MIDI channels, the parts other than Live Sets are very limited re: effects, and are just single Tones. Bottom line - I have a Jupiter-50, and I love PLAYING it, both at home (for hours on end) and when jamming with other musicians. It is a beautiful instrument that can make some awesome sounds, from solo acoustic instruments to huge, fat, polysynth pads.

- The Integra-7 is mostly for people who want to do multi-part sequencing with their computers (I do a lot of this as well). Yes, you can layer parts on to the same MIDI channel, and of course you can play all of its sounds live, but you need a keyboard, and I still fundamentally think of the Integra as a sequencing box.

- The FAs want to be a hybrid of both, but Roland has limited them a bit as to retain appetites for their other products. If you want to sequence on your keyboard, the FA is your choice. And if you want a keyboard suited for live playing, but with sounds other than SN, and in a 61-key or 88-key format, the FA is for you. (The Jupiters are 76-key only.) They give you lots of SN sounds in the FA, but if you want them all, they still have you itching for an Integra.

Since I have the Jupiter, and since I do all of my sequencing on my computer, I have no practical reason to buy an FA. This is especially true since (as of now) I also have an XV-5050 module, which has all of those Roland PCM sounds from the 5080, many of which are included in the FA.

I wouldn't mind having an Integra, but the fact is that I already do have many of the FA sounds in the 50, and I just purchased a new computer and am leaning toward recording mostly with software instruments anyway.

Anyhow, I think those are the "buckets" Roland has basically built these instruments for, although people can always use them off-label. The Jupiters are for playing, the Integra is for sequencing, and the FA is a good, old-fashioned workstation that is good either live or in the studio.

Frankly, I wish they'd make an all-in-one version: I would love a 76-key unit, with all of the Integra-7 sounds, and 16-part multi capability, and also the availability of the Live Set/Registration architecture of the Jupiters. Call it the Super-Duper-Natural Keyboard - basically an Integra, with a keyboard, with the personality of the J-80 on board. Make it, and I'll buy one for $3,459. :)
jazzygb1

Re: SuperNatural Engine FA/0x versus Integra-7

Post by jazzygb1 »

This thread has been really helpful - thanks to all those who have contributed.
I am an Integra 7 owner, but thanks to this thread I've decided to sell it and get an FA-06 instead.
The only thing I don't like about the Integra 7 is navigating the sounds...there's simply too many.
Many I will never ever use like screams, cars, footsteps, fx, trumpets, saxophones, violins etc.
What I most definitely DO need, are the Supernatural Synth Sounds - they are fantastic.
From the information in this thread, it appears as though I'll be losing some of the SNA & SND sounds I don't care about, but keeping ALL of the SNS that I can't live without.
Having the patch list trimmed down is actually a plus for me...sometimes less is more! :)
So I'll be purchasing an FA-06 as soon as I can sell my mint FA-07.
Gumtree and preloved.co.uk here I come! :)