Studio vs Live Sets

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
joesax47

Studio vs Live Sets

Post by joesax47 »

I am new to Roland Terms.

What's the difference between a Studio Set (FA-0X) and a Live Set ( Jupiter )?

Also, I have a Motif XF and I use it's Performance Mode a lot. This allows me to have a Drum, Bass and Guitar/EP, Arpeggio accompaniment to a fourth voice lead (Piano, etc). Can you do this with Studio or Live Sets?
cello

Re: Studio vs Live Sets

Post by cello »

I guess they are similar in a way in that they combine sounds however...

An FA Studio set has up to 16 sounds sounding at the same time

A Jupiter 80 liveset has up to 4 sounds at the same time and is itself a component of a higher level, registrations, which can have 2 livesets plus two solo sounds making up to 10 sounds at the same time - each of which has 3 partials making a total of 30 sounds at the same time (max).

Hope that helps - welcome to the clan BTW :)

Edited to add - The Jupiter 80/50 has no accompaniment capability other than playing a backing mp3/wav file. Best way to think of the JP-80 is as a pure synth - it's absolutely not a workstation.

The FA-0x is a workstation so you can record songs/backing tracks in the sequencer. It has a 'rehearsal' mode which allows you then to play any sound live on top of the sequence/song. There is no drum machine as such in the FA-08 but again you can record your drums in the sequencer.
joesax47

Post by joesax47 »

Thanks. cello. An excellent explanation. I guess i am spoiled with my Motif Performance capability but would like to add a Roland sound to my studio. I will check out the FAs when they appear in the stores.
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

joesax47 wrote:Thanks. cello. An excellent explanation. I guess i am spoiled with my Motif Performance capability
Since you're coming from a Yamaha background, this may help...

In a way, a Live Set (Jupiter) is a lot like a Motif Performance; that is, a set of 4 underlying sounds that can be split or layered, and are associated with a single MIDI channel. (And the Rolands then let you combine that "Performance" with other sounds as well, in a Registration.)

A Studio Set (Integra/FA) is more like a Motif Song/Mix mode, where you can split or layer up to 16 sounds, each assignable to their own MIDI channel.