RD-700NX or FA-08?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
MairMarco

RD-700NX or FA-08?

Post by MairMarco »

I already own a RD-700NX Stage Piano. My question is of I shoud keep my RD or sell it to buy the new FA-08.
I need it for live usage!!!

What are the advantages and disadvantages concering sound and versatility or possibility?
Especially vintage Instruments like E.Piano and Organs are very important just like the acoustic pianos.
What do you think about the Super Natural sounds in the FA-08.
The keyboard of my RD is great but less important.
Effects are also very important...
Any other indications about the two boards (expecially the FA) may be important for me...

I hope I can get here a lot of information that are important. I use my keyboard for live usage
Thx
unixmill

Re: RD-700NX or FA-08?

Post by unixmill »

700NX sounds set would be a subset of FA08. I think the driver is the keybed. FA08 keybed is based on 300NX, which may not be up to par with your 700NX feel.

I also think both are good products meant for different purposes.
howardS

Post by howardS »

I agree with unixmill that they are both good products but perhaps meant for different purposes. I definitely prefer the keybed on the RD700nx to that on the RD300nx which is what is in the FA 08. Also, remember, that each of the 4 layers on the RD700nx have 2 MFX per layer whereas the FA 06 and 08 have only 1. So for sound customizing you may want the second MFX. Then again, a lot of the preset sounds on the RD seem to only have one MFX turned on. Then again, you get the sample pads on the FA 06/08 so how vital is sampling to you?

Then there's the issue of weight as the FA 08 is almost 20 lbs lighter. That's pretty significant though I have a great case with wheels and just get someone to help me lift it and remove it from my stand....self preservation. :)

Also, I'm posting here, MairMarco, rather than in your other post on the RD forum. I know it relates to both forums but it is always better to pick one rather than to double post.
MairMarco

Post by MairMarco »

ok you're right =)
thanks for your comments. Just one effect per layer sound is not enough. I love organ playing and want to have several effects for the sample. The keybed is great for piani playing.
I will add a nord elctro above the RD and I think it is a great keyboard rig =)
howardS

Post by howardS »

Oh, I didn't know you were looking at adding a second board, MairMarco. You may want to wait to see the FA 06 before grabbing the Nord. Although I like the two effects per layer option I should point out that with some patches it isn't always about pure numbers of effects as some of the modelling built into the patches get you where you want to go. My point I guess is that I would wait to play the FA 06 at least before getting any of the Nord boards.

I run with VB3 from my laptop in order to add great organ sounds to my RD700nx . I either use my Korg NanoKontrol to control the sliders and other elements of VB3 or I bring my PCR-800 and use that as an upper manual along with the RD. Have you looked into using VST's?
MairMarco

Post by MairMarco »

No I really want the Nord, no chance to change my opinion =D
I would use the RD for the lower manual which is not as important as the semi weighted keys of the nord for the upper manual. So I would control the Nord via MIDI.
The piano sounds are way better of the RD and the keybed of my RD is perfect.
The E piano sounds are the samples of the Nord controled via MIDI by the RD.
All the other sounds like Pads, Strings or Synths are compared after I got the Nord.
II also want to add some vintage instruments (Chamberlin, Mellotron and the Clavinet) which arewell sampled by Nord. For vintage sounds I really do prefer Nord.
I also think this is a great and compact rig with all possibilities for a live situation. I also have two different kinds of great keybeds (Organ and Piano) and really fine effects.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Sounds like you have a plan that you think will serve you well, MairMarco. Let us know which Nord keyboard you end up getting and how it works out for you.

Howard