DAW integration

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
unixmill

DAW integration

Post by unixmill »

One thing I am very curious is about Logic pro integration. Integra is best with Sonar. Logic Pro works ok with it but not the best. MOXF and Cubase pair same way. should we expect better integration with Logic pro and FA?
I have nothing against Sonar but I only use Logic Pro. may be I should learn Sonar :)
cello

Re: DAW integration

Post by cello »

It's natural to expect Roland hardware to work best with Roland(ish) DAWs.

I don't have my FA-06 yet, but as I understand it the FA series comes with preloaded templates for the popular DAWs - SONAR is one and I believe that Logic is too, so that should make integration straightforward.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

cello wrote:It's natural to expect Roland hardware to work best with Roland(ish) DAWs.

I don't have my FA-06 yet, but as I understand it the FA series comes with preloaded templates for the popular DAWs - SONAR is one and I believe that Logic is too, so that should make integration straightforward.

The Integra is a breeze with Studio One 2.6 and Reaper!
jhughson

Post by jhughson »

I mainly use Ableton Live and I don't really expect too much out of Roland on scripting it. Instead Live has midi mapping mode and you can put custom scripts into it. So either Ableton or someone in the live forums will likely come up with a script for it.

That being said if Roland did do an official script/mode for live that would be great too.

JR
ABGgd

Post by ABGgd »

From the manuals it appears that the FA's DAW integration is really only one way: the FA sending commands to the DAW. To get the DAW to control the synth, you'll have enable it to receive MIDI on the channels you want the DAW to control. A very manual and primitive way to do it, IMHO.

I really do hope they make something like the Integra editor available. Including VST/AU support. Otherwise I won't be happy with it. Roland needs to do it least as well as Yamaha with the MOXF/Motif.
synthguy99

Post by synthguy99 »

There is no VST/AU support for the Minimoog, the CS-80 or the Prophet 5. ;-)

I've never really understood why everything has to integrate with everything else, though if music electronics continue to grow in complexity, at some point it will be nice. Things are insanely convenient for us in the 21st Century as it is, but somehow it's never convenient enough. You guys should try recording to tape!
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

To get the DAW to control the synth, you'll have enable it to receive MIDI on the channels you want the DAW to control. A very manual and primitive way to do it, IMHO.
This is how a DAW works, it has nothing to do with the FA.

Like the Jupiter 80, Roland put a great screen on the FA plus real time controls. On the Jupiter, editing is really a breeze. I don't see a need for software editor when Roland is already giving you the tools.
cello

Post by cello »

I agree - I have only used the iPad editor for the JP-80 twice; and both times just for the fun of it! Everything you need to edit/create sounds is right there onboard.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

cello wrote:I agree - I have only used the iPad editor for the JP-80 twice; and both times just for the fun of it! Everything you need to edit/create sounds is right there onboard.
+1
There is nothing like real knobs and sliders to control a synth. Is very immediate and ergonomic, compared to the clumsy Mouse and Keyboard computer interface (IMHO).
Grammar Wombat

Post by Grammar Wombat »

PauloF wrote:…the clumsy Mouse…
My friends, not all mice are clumsy!

Harry is quite adept at navigating the interface of my Fantom-G6.
Thinking of Harry.jpg
Thinking of Harry.jpg (31.5 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
ABGgd

Post by ABGgd »

While having a good user interface on the keyboard is nice. A 5" screen doesn't compare to a 27" screen. Not even close. But if that's what you're happy with great. I'd like to see the same level of integration as the MOXF offers.
Devnor wrote:
To get the DAW to control the synth, you'll have enable it to receive MIDI on the channels you want the DAW to control. A very manual and primitive way to do it, IMHO.
This is how a DAW works, it has nothing to do with the FA.
That's not my understanding. On the MOXF, you can use their plugin, inside your DAW to select instruments and it takes care of setting up the channels the keyboard will listen on. It's seamless. Also any parameter settings from the DAW are automatically sent to the keyboard. I don't see the FA being capable of that level of integration without software running on the PC.

Plus, doesn't Roland already have the software? I assume it wouldn't take a huge effort to make the Integra-7 Editor work with FA given that they have the same architecture under the hood.
Saxifraga

Post by Saxifraga »

synthguy99 wrote:There is no VST/AU support for the Minimoog, the CS-80 or the Prophet 5. ;-)
That´s why they are called "legacy".

But we all know that yesterday everything was better, people got older (Abraham and Noah come to mind) and the young expect to much and do not want to work hard and feel entitled to live on benefits doing nothing and take drugs .... :P
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Grammar Wombat wrote:
PauloF wrote:…the clumsy Mouse…
My friends, not all mice are clumsy!

Harry is quite adept at navigating the interface of my Fantom-G6.
Thinking of Harry.jpg
Jiiiii....my bad!! I forgot about Harry. Clumsy he is not

BTW give my regards to Berenice ;-p