Fa-06 or Fa-08 for newbie

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
realjazzsax

Fa-06 or Fa-08 for newbie

Post by realjazzsax »

Hello. I am new to this forum. I have been shopping around for a new board. I am not new to Roland. I used to own a D-5 (yes a D-5) years ago. I had to sell it for financial reasons. I have dabbled with the keys for years so I can get around on the board. I am not a pianist by training.

I have play tested other Roland boards and I still not found what I need. This board seems that it will grow with me as I get better. I do not want to reach a "ceiling" and regret not buying a more expensive keyboard. I like the expandability possibilities with the Axial downloads, expansion boards, and the DAW integration. This is a big plus for me. My application for now is live performance, eventually live performance with DAW, and then composition.

Now that we mostly know what the FA-06/08 brings I am still torn between both boards. It is not a question of 61 keys vs 88 keys (though I wish a 76 key was also available) or weighted keys vs non-weighted keys.

Demos state that the FA-06 is the same board minus the lower octaves and the two higher octaves. But can the FA-08 have more split points vs the FA-06 because of the physical differences? As a live performer would I really need all 88 keys? Budget is not a major concern but if I can save myself hundreds of dollars my wife would appreciate it lol.

Thanks for your time and helping a forum newbie with some headaches.
PauloF

Re: Fa-06 or Fa-08 for newbie

Post by PauloF »

realjazzsax wrote:Hello. I am new to this forum. I have been shopping around for a new board. I am not new to Roland. I used to own a D-5 (yes a D-5) years ago. I had to sell it for financial reasons. I have dabbled with the keys for years so I can get around on the board. I am not a pianist by training.

I have play tested other Roland boards and I still not found what I need. This board seems that it will grow with me as I get better. I do not want to reach a "ceiling" and regret not buying a more expensive keyboard. I like the expandability possibilities with the Axial downloads, expansion boards, and the DAW integration. This is a big plus for me. My application for now is live performance, eventually live performance with DAW, and then composition.
First of all, Welcome to the Clan!

Regarding the board you choose it is quite difficult to give an opinion, as that depends:
1- on what type music you're playing / Composing /performing.
2 -what features, what MUSTS, what integration with DAW are you looking after

- Although not being a full expanded workstation with all bits and pieces (old school type), the FA-06/08 seem to be a very comprehensive board containing a wide range of sounds, from Supernatural Acoustic and Synth (JP-50/80, Integra-7) to Classic PCM (XV, Fantoms), giving you a very wide pallette of sounds for composition and performing.
- It also gives a (seems) powerful and easy to use SEQUENCER and a standard SAMPLER for sampling internal or external sources and to be used as Backing tracks.

- It is 16 Par multi-timbral with a very complete MFX per Part, plus a IFX (insert Effects) and TFX (total effects) that have some very unusual effects on a synth like bit crusher, et al.
realjazzsax wrote: Now that we mostly know what the FA-06/08 brings I am still torn between both boards. It is not a question of 61 keys vs 88 keys (though I wish a 76 key was also available) or weighted keys vs non-weighted keys.

Demos state that the FA-06 is the same board minus the lower octaves and the two higher octaves. But can the FA-08 have more split points vs the FA-06 because of the physical differences? As a live performer would I really need all 88 keys? Budget is not a major concern but if I can save myself hundreds of dollars my wife would appreciate it lol.

Thanks for your time and helping a forum newbie with some headaches.
The FA-08 can have the exact same splits as the FA-08, only less space to have them in a practical way (less keys), but logically it has the exact same possible splits (1 per Part)

If you will have only this keyboard for live playing, maybe I would go for the 88 keys... but that depends on the number of splits / instruments that you need at the same time and if you play PIANOS and ORGANS, as the 88 is much more suitable for those.

But this is just my opinion
Cheers,
PauloF
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

If you don't want to play classical piano literature on the FA, 61 keys are enough for most situations; instead of having a much heavier 88-key model, it is very useful to have a second lightweight 25- or 37-key master keyboard, wich addresses one of the FA studio set parts. That way you can play three parts comfortably, a lower and upper part on the FA-06 itself and the third part on the small master keyboard. I simply put a 60cm long, narrow cardboard box onto the stand behind my 61-key synths and put the 25-key on top of it, so I don't even need a two-level keyboard stand.
cello

Post by cello »

I sometimes chuckle at how upset people seem to get about keybeds (not saying any of you are - I'm talking about over at GS for example).

For me it's real easy - I will almost always go for the 61 version of boards. I am a classically trained pianist and so I know exactly what piano should feel like - and I know that each one is different, so playing technique has to adjust accordingly.

When I play a synth I want it to feel like a synth, not a piano; they are two entirely different musical instruments and I want to feel the difference. So my Fantom G is a 61 and the Jupiter 80 is of course one size and I have ordered the FA-06.

The one exception to this was when I had an OASYS which was an 88 - and whilst it was a very good keybed, it was strange 'feeling' like a piano but with none of the mechanical connection a piano has - so I still prefer the synth keybeds.
rolandagent£££

Post by rolandagent£££ »

Dude I don't know why that Paulo guy didn't advise you to just get a midi keyboard to plug in to your 61/88 -- i.e I'm going to get the 61, but can have as many split points as I want because I'll be driving the 61 FA through an external 88 midi keyboard. See my question about this in the forums recently. save £££
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

rolandagent£££ wrote:Dude I don't know why that Paulo guy didn't advise you to just get a midi keyboard to plug in to your 61/88 -- i.e I'm going to get the 61, but can have as many split points as I want because I'll be driving the 61 FA through an external 88 midi keyboard. See my question about this in the forums recently. save £££
In fact that would be exactly what "that Paulo guy" would do if he had a FA. ;-)

But, I assumed the OP was asking our opinion having ONE keyboard only, and as I said:
Regarding the board you choose it is quite difficult to give an opinion, as that depends:
1- on what type music you're playing / Composing /performing.
2 -what features, what MUSTS, what integration with DAW are you looking after
realjazzsax

Post by realjazzsax »

PauloF wrote: First of all, Welcome to the Clan! Thank you!!

1- on what type music you're playing / Composing /performing. Rock, Pop, Church (contemporary)
2 -what features, what MUSTS, what integration with DAW are you looking after I like Ominsphere a lot but I would also need a host. Perhaps Logic or Ableton

The FA-08 can have the exact same splits as the FA-08, only less space to have them in a practical way (less keys), but logically it has the exact same possible splits (1 per Part) Less space in between for the 61 key board will probably not be an issue initially but perhaps later as I progress

If you will have only this keyboard for live playing, maybe I would go for the 88 keys... but that depends on the number of splits / instruments that you need at the same time and if you play PIANOS and ORGANS, as the 88 is much more suitable for those. I am thinking maybe get the 61 now and then later get a nice 88 key midi controller or piano. Time will tell. Thank you very much for your feedback.

But this is just my opinion
Cheers,
PauloF
realjazzsax

Post by realjazzsax »

specialplant wrote:If you don't want to play classical piano literature on the FA, 61 keys are enough for most situations; instead of having a much heavier 88-key model, it is very useful to have a second lightweight 25- or 37-key master keyboard, wich addresses one of the FA studio set parts. That way you can play three parts comfortably, a lower and upper part on the FA-06 itself and the third part on the small master keyboard. I simply put a 60cm long, narrow cardboard box onto the stand behind my 61-key synths and put the 25-key on top of it, so I don't even need a two-level keyboard stand.
That is a great idea. I would eventually play some loops or play along with some sequenced parts. The trick is to get everybody on the same tempo. That is another conversation. Thank you very much for your feedback.
realjazzsax

Post by realjazzsax »

cello wrote:
When I play a synth I want it to feel like a synth, not a piano; they are two entirely different musical instruments and I want to feel the difference.

You what you are right. This makes total sense. Thanks for your feedback.
realjazzsax

Post by realjazzsax »

rolandagent£££ wrote:Dude I don't know why that Paulo guy didn't advise you to just get a midi keyboard to plug in to your 61/88 -- i.e I'm going to get the 61, but can have as many split points as I want because I'll be driving the 61 FA through an external 88 midi keyboard. See my question about this in the forums recently. save £££
I will thank you for your feedback!!