MOXF vs Roland FA06/08

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
synthguy99

Re: MOXF vs Roland FA06/08

Post by synthguy99 »

I'll have to say that I've managed to wring a lot of life from Roland's orchestral sounds over the years, from the W-30 and its skimpy 512KB ram - unless I'm misremembering and it has 256KB user sampling - to numerous others. And I've had similar results from Roland's orchestral roms, but this is breathtakingly real.

This is why I have to have some Roland in my mix. They're simply untouchable without a gigalibrary.
unixmill

Post by unixmill »

Tx guys
I am still undecided on moxf6 vs fa06. If I get fa 06, should I sell integra?
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

I have the Integera 7 and MoXF6, to be honest I like the ARPS on the MoXF and it has some nice sounds as they are all the XF waveforms. For me I prefer the basses and strings on the Yamaha as you don't have to tweak too much, it also has better integration as a DAW controller and realtime controls which work well for me with the Arturia plugins I use.

The conveniance of ALL SRX cards in the Integera would put me off having the FA06 or FA08 although it has better editing capabilities on the board itself (the FA's don't have any computer software whatsoever) so if your wanting an outboard workstation for making on the fly ideas to transfer into a DAW at a later date the FA would be the better deal, if your just talking sounds and you already have the Integera the MoXF is probably the best, you then have flagship sounds from both Roland and Yamaha which I think compliment each other nicely.
synthguy99

Post by synthguy99 »

I'd agree with skinmechanic. The Yamaha has some nice sounds, even though Yammy is stuck in romplerville. But a Motif/MoXF would make a great complement to an Integra, giving you all those SN Acoustic sounds, as well as all those SN Synth tones and SRX sample expansions which I dearly love. And the MoXF has some wonderful effects on board too.
realjazzsax

Post by realjazzsax »

unixmill wrote:Tx guys
I am still undecided on moxf6 vs fa06. If I get fa 06, should I sell integra?
Unixmill I too was undecided between these two. I went with the 08 and do not regret it. If I could afford it I'd get both because the MoxF has some killer Arps. But the usability of the 06/08 is really awesome. I am not a pro by any means and I can navigate through the menus with ease. On the Moxf I could not do that.

Perhaps get the moxf and keep your Integra? The 06/08 has 2000 of the 6000 sounds of the Integra.

Bottom line I think I am going to get the MOTIF Sound module later on. Yes it is true you can create your own ARP's on the 06/08 but for me I'd rather have somebody else do it for me. I am not that good at creating stuff...yet. I hope that helps.
unixmill

Post by unixmill »

Agreed with both of you, thx guys
It would have been an easy choice if there was a nice motif rack.
Motif xs rack is too old. Otherwise I would go with fa and motif rack.
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

I basically treat my MoXF as a module, only time I may use it is for the realtime controls it has (8) which can all be programmed, apart from that, my JP80 is my main keys.
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

Yes, a MoXF rack would be great, just as the MoX rack presented in 2012:
http://www.sequencer.de/synthesizer/vie ... 56#p768435
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

specialplant wrote:Yes, a MoXF rack would be great, just as the MoX rack presented in 2012:
http://www.sequencer.de/synthesizer/vie ... 56#p768435
Yeap! That "rack" is a killer! Lol
unixmill

Post by unixmill »

that is funny !

google Motif XF rack :).
Benjaminimus

Post by Benjaminimus »

Like some I have been hesitating between the FA and the MOXF. I am fond of the MOXF's sounds (more varied, in my opinion stronger in acoustic and across a wider variety of sounds than the FA) and the stronger arpeggiator. But I'm leaning toward getting the FA for ease of use, and because I mainly perform live with a classic rock and 80s cover band. I anticipate recreating 1970s, 80s, and 90s synth sounds, and for live shows the ability to split/layer the keyboard 16 ways and also trigger sample pads is attractive. I figure I can save up for a Motif rack of some kind down the road and control it from the FA.

I'm also hesitating between the FA-08 and the -06, which may come down to my decision to keep or replace my Ensoniq ZR-76. The ZR has weighted keys with a slightly lighter action, making it a bit more versatile for synth/organ playing than the FA-08, which on first playing I find a little bit stiff. I'm considering either adding the FA-06 as a second-tier board, or replacing the ZR with the FA-08 and dropping about 14 lb. in weight from the ZR's hefty 50 lb.

Even though I'm not in love with the FA-08's action, I'm leaning toward getting it because 61 keys doesn't seem quite enough for some of the piano parts I play, and it also seems a shame not to have an 88-key keyboard when you can create such a large number of splits.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
unixmill

Post by unixmill »

FA 08 action is same as RD300. I personally don't like it.
700 is really nice. Therefore I would go with FA06, that is it. But in your case may be you need FA07 :)
It does not exist yet,who knows next release they may have 76 keys version.
Benjaminimus

Post by Benjaminimus »

I ended up getting the FA-08 today. Don't think I'll regret having the extra real estate for multi-part live performances.

Very happy with it so far. I expect I will be spending approximately 1/3 of my remaining time on this planet selecting patches for studio sets.
dan88z

Post by dan88z »

Benjaminimus wrote:I ended up getting the FA-08 today. Don't think I'll regret having the extra real estate for multi-part live performances.

Very happy with it so far. I expect I will be spending approximately 1/3 of my remaining time on this planet selecting patches for studio sets.
I've spent the better part of the last week doing the same thing. Actually creating the studio sets, with the splits and layers, is easy. Finding which one of the hundreds of polysynth or lead sounds gets you close to what you are looking for is what takes all the time! Once you find it, editing the sound to customize it to your needs is so simple!
thomjohn98

Post by thomjohn98 »

Went to Guitar Center today to check out some new keyboards.. All I can say is, "What are the manufactures thinking?", overpriced and not worth a damn if you play in a band. Action is stiff to non existent on the supposedly piano feel keyboards, now these are not cheap boards, range from $1k to $2k.. No Korg keys in the store period, which I didn't mind, but Yamaha and Roland both suck.. Sounds on Yamaha MOXF8 were terrible, tons of arpeggiators but sounds weren't up to my standard, Tried the MX88 cheap knock off at $899 on sale, but not good, sounds were thin again and no action.. :(

Roland DS88, good sounds, no control over the organ drawbars, big let down at $999, keys were also heavy feeling and response time was poor, piano sounds were ok but not top notch.. The FA88 was the best of the bunch at $1799, pianos were great, but the keybed was heavy and not responsive.. Organs were excellent and leslie was dead on, also could tweak the drawbar settings inside the patch so that was a definite plus.. All in all it was the best if performing ballads, jazz, blues, etc.. But the new band is southern rock and the keybed wasn't designed to get the speed of Billy Powell type licks.. Not a fast enough response on the keys returning, heavy feel to the instrument when trying to dig into it in any way.. The FA had the best sounds based on the Integra Super Natural sounds and that was a major plus..

So now I am lost on what to use for my main board, maybe pull out my old Fatar controller and midi up my Alesis for the piano till I can afford a Kawai controller with triple strike $2400 + for that controller or break down and spend $2499 for a new Roland RD2000..

I wish that the manufactures would get the workstations up to snuff and quit going in reverse with their pathetic offerings to us who perform live..Give us a balanced instrument that doesn't have a price tag that only the rich can afford and does more than make beats or allow musicians to play songs using one finger.. If that is what you want to do, then buy a casio, an arranger board or just take some lessons.. The manufacturers have got to start listening to the performing artists and what we need in a keyboard..