MOXF vs Roland FA06/08

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
unixmill

MOXF vs Roland FA06/08

Post by unixmill »

For those looking into buying one of the above just like me, watch this video.
hard to tell which one would be the perfect fit. may be I should just get both...:)

http://www.muzykuj.com/testy/instrument ... e,474.html
theshinenz

Re: MOXF vs Roland FA06/08

Post by theshinenz »

Kurzweil stands out with the best sounds IMO, but its too heavy for my needs. Strings and Organ are definately best on the Kurz, piano and EP's are good on the roland.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

theshinenz wrote:Kurzweil stands out with the best sounds IMO, but its too heavy for my needs. Strings and Organ are definately best on the Kurz, piano and EP's are good on the roland.
I tend to agree with you, but even hearing them like this, the test is very subjective IMO, as it is very dependent on the settings chosen by the player for each Patch on each board and it just gives an indication.
theshinenz

Post by theshinenz »

Yeah, agree that it depends on patch, levels, programming etc. The thing that always stands out to me is the Kurzweil strings for example when used behind a piano dont overwhelm the piano sound after being held for a while or changing notes. The Yamaha and Roland seem to become too loud on string sounds and the cut off more when changning between chords, thats where Kurzweil shines its so expressive on string sounds. I'll be picking the the fa-08 though, best bang for buck and also light enough to transport easily.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

theshinenz wrote:Yeah, agree that it depends on patch, levels, programming etc. The thing that always stands out to me is the Kurzweil strings for example when used behind a piano dont overwhelm the piano sound after being held for a while or changing notes. The Yamaha and Roland seem to become too loud on string sounds and the cut off more when changning between chords, thats where Kurzweil shines its so expressive on string sounds. I'll be picking the the fa-08 though, best bang for buck and also light enough to transport easily.
Talking about bang for the buck, Kurzweil PC3 LE6 is a lot cheaper than MOXF and FA-06 (at least € 250,00 less). And the Kurz PC3 LE7 is about the same price of the Roland and Yamaha, but having a Weighted Keyboard with Aftertouch and 16 Poly Arps, and that is unbeatable by the competition...

Why not the Kurz?
theshinenz

Post by theshinenz »

Had a PC3-88 but it was too heavy, also had a pc3, but like a weighted action so didnt want to sacrifice that, the pc3 i think weighs about the same as the FA-08. I currently have a Casio PX5-S which I love the weight and action but for me the sounds arent quite up to what Im used to so selling it. Also had a Kronos but again too heavy as I need to transport it overseas for a gig.
mixalis

Post by mixalis »

I currently have a PC3x but i will sell it and buy the FA08... And the reason is simple!

Kurzweil is so annoying to program! And the artis is no different...
Its a very old machine compared to roland..It definately sounds good! But.............

The moxf synthesis engine is better to my opinion because you can import your own samples and do whatever you want to. BUT you need a pc to program it...So again the fa is more fresh..

I really hope that the fa will let us import our own samples and use them with the synthesis engine later on.
Who knows what OS updates can do..........

Kurzweil is also heavier that the rest if you do gigs its a problem...
unixmill

Post by unixmill »

To be honest with you, kurzweil was never in my radar but after this may be I will consider. but it does sound good little darker in most cases. but that is just matter of tweaking the factory sounds. but if it is too complicated to tweak sounds, it may not attract me. although I am technically very savvy but when it comes to music workstations, I don't want to go through manuals nor you tubes to do basic things. FA stands out for this reason for me. may be I am becoming a roland guy...nothing wrong with it I guess.
Again everything about personal preferences. nothing against any of the products. when those engineers sat down and designed them, they had an ideal candidate in their mind. It will definitely suit others.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

mixalis wrote:I currently have a PC3x but i will sell it and buy the FA08... And the reason is simple!

Kurzweil is so annoying to program! And the artis is no different...
Its a very old machine compared to roland..It definately sounds good! But.............

The moxf synthesis engine is better to my opinion because you can import your own samples and do whatever you want to. BUT you need a pc to program it...So again the fa is more fresh..

I really hope that the fa will let us import our own samples and use them with the synthesis engine later on.
Who knows what OS updates can do..........

Kurzweil is also heavier that the rest if you do gigs its a problem...
Yes, the FA is Simple, clear and fresh, but forget about loading Samples and using them on the Synth Engine...
alphaC

Post by alphaC »

But, you can load drum samples and assign them to the pads (16x4=64 samples !). Then record you own rythm pattern with the samples !
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

alphaC wrote:But, you can load drum samples and assign them to the pads (16x4=64 samples !). Then record you own rythm pattern with the samples !
Ah ah... yes you can, but that's the beauty of the Sampler. Multitrack AUDIO!!

However it is not possible to load those samples as multi-samples on the Synth Engine itself, like we could on the Fantoms or the V-Synths (for example).

For me that is not a problem at all due to the extensive Sound palette already on board (+ the SRX expansions being deployed), but some were complaining about that as a deal breaker... just different opinions ;-)
mixalis

Post by mixalis »

Nevermind! It has already a nice sound palette..I agree..!
Ricoche

Post by Ricoche »

+1 MOXF
Halunlimited

Post by Halunlimited »

+1 FA (and I already had an MOXF)
howardS

Post by howardS »

Unixmill, do you have any need for multiple arpeggiators? While I prefer the supernatural sounds on Roland gear I recently picked up a MOX6 just to have better arpeggiator options. I didn't care about the flash memory option and the MOX6 was crazy cheap.