MOXF vs Roland FA06/08

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
PauloF

Re: MOXF vs Roland FA06/08

Post by PauloF »

unixmill wrote:just found a motif xf6 (1yr old) for $1100. debating if I should go for moxf6 or motif xf6 or roland fa06.

Boot time and firewire are working against motif xf6. Cheap build works against moxf6. I have not played a FA06 yet :)

decisions decisions. but I feel that if I play FA06, I may just end up falling in love with it :)
Having two Roland boards myself, an Integra-7 and a V-Synth XT, and knowing what a XF6 can do, having that build quality and for that price, I would go for the XF6, even considering it an "old" synth.
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

unixmill wrote:just found a motif xf6 (1yr old) for $1100. debating if I should go for moxf6 or motif xf6 or roland fa06.

Boot time and firewire are working against motif xf6. Cheap build works against moxf6. I have not played a FA06 yet :)

decisions decisions. but I feel that if I play FA06, I may just end up falling in love with it :)
If the weight doesn't bother you and the Motif XF is in perfect condition, I would opt for the Motif XF, too. Don't forget you can have 2 GB of flash instead of 1 GB for the MoXF (it can fill up quickly).
unixmill

Post by unixmill »

I own a kronos x88, need a Yamaha or roland lighter one to carry
I like motif xf6 synth action. So tempted but want to wait until I try Fa06
realjazzsax

Post by realjazzsax »

I was going to start a new thread and then I saw this one. I hope the OP does not mind if I can ask a question about these two keyboards.

I have been playing them side by side for the past few days. Aside from the obvious (menu size, pads or no pads, weighted keys, menu usability, etc) which of the two are best fit for Techo, Chill, Trance, Electronica, Dance sounds?

I see that the Moxf has tons of cool arps, sets, and patches for the styles mentioned above. I spent alot of time on the FA08 looking while I did find some I felt that the Moxf8 had more. Also noticed that alot of the synth pads on the FA08 had slower attacks and not a whole lot of fat beefy faster attacking patches.

Do the Axial downloads supplement the lack of arps and patches? Am I missing something on the FA?

Thanks!
jimmyfontana

Post by jimmyfontana »

Realjazz, you can create your own arp patterns in the fa by importing smf files or from a song created in the fa. Don't know about the sounds.
realjazzsax

Post by realjazzsax »

jimmyfontana wrote:Realjazz, you can create your own arp patterns in the fa by importing smf files or from a song created in the fa. Don't know about the sounds.
I had feeling you could. Just was not sure. Are there user groups dedicated to sharing files or loops for Roland products?
jimmyfontana

Post by jimmyfontana »

realjazzsax wrote:
jimmyfontana wrote:Realjazz, you can create your own arp patterns in the fa by importing smf files or from a song created in the fa. Don't know about the sounds.
I had feeling you could. Just was not sure. Are there user groups dedicated to sharing files or loops for Roland products?
Sorry, if there are I don't know, I just go by the manual.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

realjazzsax wrote:

Yes there are, watch the space at this site created by our fellow Clan member Cello.
Most probably we will be seeing FA Tones/StudioSets over there as the new owners begin to create their own
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

realjazzsax wrote:I was going to start a new thread and then I saw this one. I hope the OP does not mind if I can ask a question about these two keyboards.

I have been playing them side by side for the past few days. Aside from the obvious (menu size, pads or no pads, weighted keys, menu usability, etc) which of the two are best fit for Techo, Chill, Trance, Electronica, Dance sounds?

I see that the Moxf has tons of cool arps, sets, and patches for the styles mentioned above. I spent alot of time on the FA08 looking while I did find some I felt that the Moxf8 had more. Also noticed that alot of the synth pads on the FA08 had slower attacks and not a whole lot of fat beefy faster attacking patches.

Do the Axial downloads supplement the lack of arps and patches? Am I missing something on the FA?

Thanks!
If you are talking about the sounds, all the Roland Axial based SuperNatural Synth sounds for the Integra-7 can be loaded on to the FA (up to 512 new SN-Synth Tones)

The FA has:

TONE TYPE___PRESET___USER

SN-A Tones____100_______256
SN-S Tones___1115_______512
SN-D Tones______5_________8
PCM-S Tones___897_______256
PCM-D Tones____56________32
GM2 Tones_____256
GM2 Kits________9
FAxx____________??? Two Slots for PCM-S/D Expansion

ARPS___________??? - Can play only ONE ARP at a time, but together with the Chord Memory Function, the ability to import SMF and the Sampler it becomes also very powerful.

The MOXF has:

TONE TYPE_______PRESET___USER

Normal VOICES____1152_____384 (note1)
GM______________128
GM Drum___________1
6x ARPS__________7981______256 - Can play 4 ARPS at the same time (grouped in 16 Categories)
FLASH(optional)________________ - 1x 512Mb or 1xGb FLASH to expand even further the Voices
Note1: Includes ES and XS Megavoices and XA (expanded Articulation) voices

This is just a quick voice comparison between the two
realjazzsax

Post by realjazzsax »

PauloF wrote:
realjazzsax wrote:I was going to start a new thread and then I saw this one. I hope the OP does not mind if I can ask a question about these two keyboards.

Thanks!
If you are talking about the sounds, all the Roland Axial based SuperNatural Synth sounds for the Integra-7 can be loaded on to the FA (up to 512 new SN-Synth Tones)

The FA has:

TONE TYPE___PRESET___USER

SN-A Tones____100_______256
SN-S Tones___1115_______512
SN-D Tones______5_________8
PCM-S Tones___897_______256
PCM-D Tones____56________32
GM2 Tones_____256
GM2 Kits________9
FAxx____________??? Two Slots for PCM-S/D Expansion

ARPS___________??? - Can play only ONE ARP at a time, but together with the Chord Memory Function, the ability to import SMF and the Sampler it becomes also very powerful.

The MOXF has:

TONE TYPE_______PRESET___USER

Normal VOICES____1152_____384 (note1)
GM______________128
GM Drum___________1
6x ARPS__________7981______256 - Can play 4 ARPS at the same time (grouped in 16 Categories)
FLASH(optional)________________ - 1x 512Mb or 1xGb FLASH to expand even further the Voices
Note1: Includes ES and XS Megavoices and XA (expanded Articulation) voices

This is just a quick voice comparison between the two

Thanks PauloF! Thanks Cello!
unixmill

Post by unixmill »

So folks now that you have had some quality time with your FA,
What's the verdict? Moxf or fa? :)
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

If the SRX 06 will be available as a FA expansion, my comparison of symphonic sounds SRX06 versus expanded MoXF may be interesting:
http://youtu.be/B0QwnbkV6fI
unixmill

Post by unixmill »

wow...usually yamaha sounds are shallow. but in comparison MOXF sound really deep. may be recorded that way? cannot believe Roland SRX sounds are this shallow. something went wrong during recording then.
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

No, the recording is completely ok in both cases, exactly same setting by line-in cable from headphone socket to Yamaha Pocketrak W24. If you think Roland sounds more shallow here, please consider that the MoXF recording doesn't only use Yamaha factory sounds, but Garritan samples from the MoXF flash expansion. The Garritan library is 400 MB in total, the SRX 06 only 64 MB. There are still the better SRX 04 strings which I haven't used in the recording.

P.S.: In this Integra demo, I used the SRX 04 and 10. If they are released for the FA, it should be possible to achieve nearly the same result as with the Integra, except the woodwinds (Flute, Clarinet, Oboe, Bassoon), which are SN-A tones and not part of the FA:
http://youtu.be/WtZ4QpN5cIM
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

In order to defend the SRX06 against being called "shallow", this is my comparison of the SRX06 Big Strings (first part) with the Motif XF Large Strings (last part - that's what I call shallow). So it is definitely the Garritan strings which give the other Beethoven recording this depth, not the Yamaha factory strings.

https://soundcloud.com/rorosetree/rolan ... ig-strings