Questions about the FA-08

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
technobob13

Re: Questions about the FA-08

Post by technobob13 »

The song does load the corresponding studio set. But, if you make changes to that studio set, they can only be saved by saving the studio set, not the song, so once a studio set is "linked" to a song, you cannot then go back and change the studio set for a new song - you MUST use a new studio set. Hence the limitation of studio sets (internal, limited), not songs (external, unlimited), but songs need studio sets, so it is a "Catch 22"!!

As for MOXF, very interesting but I have never used a Motif and have heard many people over the years complain about workflow over-complexity, especially if moving from Korg/Roland background as I am. My dream machine would literally be a Korg M3 in a lighweight body... not asking for much, am I ;]
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

technobob13 wrote:The song does load the corresponding studio set. But, if you make changes to that studio set, they can only be saved by saving the studio set, not the song, so once a studio set is "linked" to a song, you cannot then go back and change the studio set for a new song - you MUST use a new studio set. Hence the limitation of studio sets (internal, limited), not songs (external, unlimited), but songs need studio sets, so it is a "Catch 22"!!

As for MOXF, very interesting but I have never used a Motif and have heard many people over the years complain about workflow over-complexity, especially if moving from Korg/Roland background as I am. My dream machine would literally be a Korg M3 in a lighweight body... not asking for much, am I ;]
Yes, in fact I've been hearing that too myself about the MOXF complicated workflow, but coming from a ROLAND only background I'm willing to accept the challenge of a MOXF, as it has the features I'm looking for and don't have on my two Rolands (V-Synth XT and Integra-7), like the Drum Tracks and 6x Polyphonic Arpeggiators and the vast library of ARPs, the Sequencer, the intense Expanded Articulation Sounds, another 4 Zone MIDI Controller, and a 4 channel Audio/Midi interface, all in the same compact package with low footprint in my studio.

Some of these functions can be done on the FA (except the ARPs), but it needs more in depth investigation and to play with it myself before I decide which one to buy...
Tough decision, as I would prefer the FA for the "Roland" like workflow, but having an integra, the sounds are redundant and the extra features I'm looking for can easily be found on he Krome, Kross or MOXF, with the added bunus of different set of sounds to complement the Roland ones and the intelligent Poly Arps that those 3 have.

let's give the FA a chance, and after trying one out I will see...
HK77

Post by HK77 »

To make a long question short: playing live, is it possible to make layers and splits (performances) as easily AND to be able to actually divide the keyboard to 16 different parts if need be as it is possible on the Fantom X6?

I'm really intrigued by the FA-08 but these kind of capabilities are rarely mentioned.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

HK77 wrote:To make a long question short: playing live, is it possible to make layers and splits (performances) as easily AND to be able to actually divide the keyboard to 16 different parts if need be as it is possible on the Fantom X6?

I'm really intrigued by the FA-08 but these kind of capabilities are rarely mentioned.
This beast seems to be like the Integra in this respect, so in order to do that, at the StudioSet Level, just Edit the Parts and set each individual part keyboard range. Fully flexible!!!
HK77

Post by HK77 »

Thanks for your answer, PauloF, but I'm wondering about how the FA-08 keyboard and UI handles the split/layering of that wonderful synth engine in practice. :)

Does it work at all like on the Fantom X or is it completely different? Is it possible to use the full multitimbrality to make live performances and split & layer the keyboard with all those parts?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

HK77 wrote:Thanks for your answer, PauloF, but I'm wondering about how the FA-08 keyboard and UI handles the split/layering of that wonderful synth engine in practice. :)
Regarding the UI, I did not have the chance to see one myself, so I'm based on what I read in the Manuals, and maybe an owner can tell you better than me.
HK77 wrote: Does it work at all like on the Fantom X or is it completely different? Is it possible to use the full multitimbrality to make live performances and split & layer the keyboard with all those parts?
It is not exactly like the X but similar.
Yes it is possible to use the full multitimbrality to make live performances and split and layer the 16 Parts at will in Multi Part Play Mode.

Check Pages 26 and 27 of the FA's Reference Manual for details
Spo Elman

Post by Spo Elman »

Hi,

All splitting/layering etc is possible with 16 parts. Only limitation is plyphony :-)
digiplay

Post by digiplay »

cminor wrote:one option to get "new drum patterns", can be searching on internet for free styles Roland Styles, and get the Roland Converter, that can export/import midi files from/to styles.
That way, you can export from a style to midi file, and then import only the midi channel you want (10 for drums, 2 for bass, for example), and make them pattern.

Or even search for midi files only (songs), and listen to them in the FA, and then import as pattern what you want.
For example, in a midi file, you like the bass line from measure 4 to 9.
As I guess, FA can import to pattern from a midi file...
So set from what measure you want to import, which channel, and...
... enjoy it.

;)

Hi cminor!

I have more experience with Yamaha Keyboards, so please forgive my questions if I'm not asking them in Rolandesque Language :)

Are you saying I can go to various sites and download various style (Funk, Rap, Jazz, Pop, Rock) Drum Patterns/Beats that I can then easily load in the built in FA-08 Drum/Rhythm Machine and play them using the built in Factory Drum KIts?

Will those Beats/Patterns have Fills, Intros and Endings available?

Will they be of varying lengths (2 to 4 bars long)?

Will the sites (or Roland) have different Drum Kits (Oak, Maple, Jazz, Electronic, etc) that I can load into the FA-08 Drum/Rhythm Machine to play those Patterns/Beats?

Thanks!

Jerry
digiplay

Post by digiplay »

Anyone?
digiplay

Post by digiplay »

Anyone?
The Un-dr.

Post by The Un-dr. »

Hey, man, I'm really not the person to try to help you (I can barely make my was around a Casio from Walmart), but nobody else is, so....

I've attached a page from the FA "Reference Manual" about "Importing SMF into a Rhythm Pattern." Not sure that's helpful, but what the heck.

(I'm still struggling to figure out my FA-08, so I'd like to know this stuff, too, so thanks for asking!)
Attachments
Page 38 from FA-06-08 Reference Manual.png
Page 38 from FA-06-08 Reference Manual.png (133.71 KiB) Viewed 2128 times
digiplay

Post by digiplay »

Hi The Un-dr!

Thanks for the info and I'll see if it will help.

Regardless, I'll do what I can to try to help you while you try to help me :)

Jerry
miden

Post by miden »

I am resurrecting this thread as I have just got my FA08 and I am shocked I only have 20 User Rhythm Groups...

That would barely cover one genre of music...Surely there must be a way to allow more than 20? This is 2014, not 1984!!!!
fuxoft

Post by fuxoft »

miden wrote:I am resurrecting this thread as I have just got my FA08 and I am shocked I only have 20 User Rhythm Groups...

That would barely cover one genre of music...Surely there must be a way to allow more than 20? This is 2014, not 1984!!!!
FA does have 59 rhythm styles, each comprised of 6 variants (intro, phrase, fill-in etc). That's 354 rhythms in total. Also, just by changing the drumkit, the rhythm can be made to sound very different.

The User Presets are meant to be used as a basis for the song you create, i.e. 1 preset for 1 song. After you create the drum track for the song, you no longer need the Rhythm Preset (because your drums are already recorded in the song's drum track(s)) and you can safely delete it or overwrite it.

FA is a workstation, not an auto-accompanimet keyboard (that's why I have both FA and BK5). If you want to create a complex rhythm for the song, you can record it as a drum track, or several drum tracks, and edit them however you like. They can contain absolutely anything you like, with any complexity, and you can also export them to User Presets if you like. The Rhythm presets are just for the quick "sketching" and creating the initial "feel" for your next song.
miden

Post by miden »

Well actually no...I disagree...what if the Roland ideas of these rhythm sets are not suitable? (in my case I think most of them are naff!)

I am not looking for an arranger, but I play left hand basslines and right hand keys in a combo style, so I need rhythm patterns to accompany these, but NOT in a strict song format where one is forced to a particular arrangement everytime it is played.

I mean we are talking ONLY midi data here, so surely Roland must have really cocked this up to think a user would only ever want 20 groups? Jeez I could get to 20 groups for Funk alone!