My quick review of FA-06 +

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
cello

My quick review of FA-06 +

Post by cello »

Well after a few hours of virtual twiddling, I can safely say that those waiting delivery of their FAs are in for a treat!

Very easy to edit - interface is uncluttered and very clear/sharp. I use zoom edit mostly and everything is displayed really well. Although it's always worth remembering that there are more parameters in the pro edit screens (Analogue feel being just one).

Structurally the synth parameters are very similar to the JP-80 so that feels nice and familiar for me.

It's very light but the switches, knobs etc all feel high quality.

No issues with the keybed and I haven't missed aftertouch at all (it does have aftertouch parameters but is triggered either by pedal or an aftertouch-equipped controller).

The sequencer is as easy to use as per the various demos. Read the sequencer section in the manual once and no need to read again

If I was picking hairs I would say that tone selection is not as I expected - you can't bring up all the SN-Acoustic sounds in one list and select (or indeed scroll through them). You must first press the bank buttons to select the sound family you want (say pads) and then you can scroll through them. But those may just be PCMS - you have to change that to SN-S to then get access to the SN Synth tones within the Pads family. Not a big deal but I would prefer if you could get to a list of all SN-Acoustic or SN SYnths or PCMS in one screen. But it could also be that I'm too stuck in the JP-80 displays/navigation!

But that's the only ???? kind of moment I've had! The FA has a wonderfully crisp and clean character that I like. Looking forward to piling 16 sounds up :)

Haven't used the sampler yet other than press a few pads.

There's a cool animated screen saver too!

To get this much editing and sequencing for this price is really quite amazing - no brainer really. Very impressive keyboard. She's a keeper!

Just FYI, I setup an FA Facebook page if you fancy joining in -
https://www.facebook.com/groups/288963067924385/
piaknowguy

Re: My quick review of FA-06 +

Post by piaknowguy »

Awesome, Cello!

I'm so glad you like it, as mine is on it's way! Congrats. again!

Cheers.
Abeck

Post by Abeck »

I'm loving mine right out of the box (FA-08). I absolutely dig the action of the 08. It has a great non slippery texture. It looks a lot better in person than in pics. It does not come across as cheap. Feels sturdy. It does look a bit like a Volvo though- unsexy and boxy. Some simple angles or rounded edges might have been a good idea. But really, that's petty.

The sounds are fantastic. I also had a JP80, so many of the SN and PCM tones are instantly recognizable. The piano is very Roland sounding, with a hyped low-end. There are some really expressive lead tones. Just mucking around with some of the sawtooth leads, I was pleased as punch. Lots of fun to play. I think I'm really gonna like this board.
Candy

Post by Candy »

Cello, would you please be so kindly and confirm my request on Facebook? Thank you!

Candy
cello

Post by cello »

Candy wrote:Cello, would you please be so kindly and confirm my request on Facebook? Thank you!

Candy
done :)
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

cello wrote:Well after a few hours of virtual twiddling, I can safely say that those waiting delivery of their FAs are in for a treat!

Very easy to edit - interface is uncluttered and very clear/sharp. I use zoom edit mostly and everything is displayed really well. Although it's always worth remembering that there are more parameters in the pro edit screens (Analogue feel being just one).

Structurally the synth parameters are very similar to the JP-80 so that feels nice and familiar for me.

It's very light but the switches, knobs etc all feel high quality.

No issues with the keybed and I haven't missed aftertouch at all (it does have aftertouch parameters but is triggered either by pedal or an aftertouch-equipped controller).

The sequencer is as easy to use as per the various demos. Read the sequencer section in the manual once and no need to read again

If I was picking hairs I would say that tone selection is not as I expected - you can't bring up all the SN-Acoustic sounds in one list and select (or indeed scroll through them). You must first press the bank buttons to select the sound family you want (say pads) and then you can scroll through them. But those may just be PCMS - you have to change that to SN-S to then get access to the SN Synth tones within the Pads family. Not a big deal but I would prefer if you could get to a list of all SN-Acoustic or SN SYnths or PCMS in one screen. But it could also be that I'm too stuck in the JP-80 displays/navigation!

But that's the only ???? kind of moment I've had! The FA has a wonderfully crisp and clean character that I like. Looking forward to piling 16 sounds up :)

Haven't used the sampler yet other than press a few pads.

There's a cool animated screen saver too!

To get this much editing and sequencing for this price is really quite amazing - no brainer really. Very impressive keyboard. She's a keeper!

Congrats Cello, glad you like it!!
Just joined your FA FB page... ;-)

P.S: Still deciding if I will get one FA or something else (MOXF, Krome, Kross...)
abyzz

Post by abyzz »

cello wrote:

Hi Cello

I know you can't just call up a list of the SN tones on it's own, but if you press the bank button to select the type of sound you want, then press Enter, the full list of sounds in that category will be listed. The SN tones will always be at the top of the list, ( Shift + UP to go directly to the top of the list if it's not already there )
You can then scroll through the list of tones and play each sound as you scroll.
While you are at the top of the list, pressing the Left or Right cursor key will move the list to the next sub category of the bank, and when there are no more sub categories in that bank, it will move to the next bank, and so on.

I know its not quite what you are after, but only involves a few extra key presses.

Loving the new FA06 !

Mark
Cenobite

Post by Cenobite »

I am not sure if this is what you are after.

On the main screen move the cursor to the lock and unlock it.
Move the cursor to the left and select type. SN-S for example
Then move cursor back up to name.
You can then scroll through all the instruments of the type you choose.
SN-A SN-S SN-D PCMS PCMD

If you have loaded EXP 01 you can choose PCMS or PCMD and EX01 as bank and listen to those too.
cello

Post by cello »

Thanks abyzz andCenobite - both useful posts.

abyzz - yes, that is more what I was looking for. I am familiar with pressing shift along with any key (in fact it's one of the first things I do now when I get a new Roland keyboard) but hadn't thought of Enter + button; will have to add that to my routine!

Thanks again
Saxifraga

Post by Saxifraga »

Now I am tempted to buy one myself.
But for now I have my hands full with G6 and V-Synth XT.
Did you buy it in addition to all your other gear cello?
cello

Post by cello »

Yes - definitely an addition. Fantom G is more powerful and the Jupiter 80 is just perfection ;)

The V-Synth does it's own thing entirely so noway she's going either.

The FA for me is two things - Integra engine ( + XV/SRX sounds) and quick capture of raw ideas. For those alone it is worth the money (for me anyway!).
geeman

Post by geeman »

cello wrote:Yes - definitely an addition. Fantom G is more powerful and the Jupiter 80 is just perfection ;)

The V-Synth does it's own thing entirely so noway she's going either.

The FA for me is two things - Integra engine ( + XV/SRX sounds) and quick capture of raw ideas. For those alone it is worth the money (for me anyway!).
Seconded here. Also, the FA is my first keyboard where I can plug in a mike or guitar and get a strong signal, without a pre-amp between.
Saxifraga

Post by Saxifraga »

Was able to try out the FA-08 for an hour today. It's really a great instrument for anyone who has no Roland workstation yet. But I was not convinced by the FA-06. The keybed is like the GW-8s and the sampler pads are not good at all, the Hold button tends to have double clicks wich deactivates all running tracks.
I would like to buy one because of the Integra engine, but I don't need another keybed or sample looper.
I will rather wait and buy an Integra 7.
It's although disturbing to see this cutting corners mentality with companies these days. There are Juno Stage for 799,-€ at my store and the keybed and manufacturing quality is way beyond that of an Fa-06. Features are going up and build quality is going down. I would be willing to pay 300,-€ more if they would put the FA-06 into an Juno Stage chassis. The JS was 1200,-€ originally in german stores. FA-0x is still a Krome killer!
geeman

Post by geeman »

Saxifraga wrote:Was able to try out the FA-08 for an hour today. It's really a great instrument for anyone who has no Roland workstation yet. But I was not convinced by the FA-06. The keybed is like the GW-8s and the I would like to buy one because of the Integra engine, but I don't need another keybed or sample looper.
I will rather wait and buy an Integra 7.
It's although disturbing to see this cutting corners mentality with companies these days. There are Juno Stage for 799,-€ at my store and the keybed and manufacturing quality is way beyond that of an Fa-06. sampler pads are not good at all, the Hold button tends to have double clicks wich deactivates all running tracks.
Features are going up and build quality is going down. I would be willing to pay 300,-€ more if they would put the FA-06 into an Juno Stage chassis. The JS was 1200,-€ originally in german stores. FA-0x is still a Krome killer!
Hi there, Saxifraga,

{quote} "...sampler pads are not good at all, the Hold button tends to have double clicks wich deactivates all running tracks..." {unquote}

Why do you say 'not good at all'? Care to elaborate?

And could you please say how I might duplicate those 'double click' anomalies on my FA-06?

{added with good humour intended}: - Might that 'double click' be caused by the tut-tutting of a tongue against the teeth of a shaking head, whose owner has unreasonable expectations, given the price point? ;-)
Saxifraga

Post by Saxifraga »

@geeman The point of my post was exactly what I wrote above.
Roland like Korg are cutting to many corners to achieve a certain price tag.
The pads are cheap. My Arturia Keylab controller has much better pads.
But this was no argument against Roland or in favor of Korg. Korgs Krome has neither pads, nor a decent keybed and no sampler. I just think they should have added 300€ of quality to it.