Sequencer question

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
digiplay

Sequencer question

Post by digiplay »

Every YouTube Video I have viewed about Sequencing on the FA shows only recording a loop over and over (I guess that's the definition of a loop :)).

Can one:
1) Record/Sequence a linear (3) minute Eight Track Song?
2) Record/Sequence in a Pattern Mode the various sections of a song (Intro/Verse/Chorus/Bridge/etc) and then chain them together to build a Song?

Thanks
Candy

Re: Sequencer question

Post by Candy »

1 - yes, also 16 tracks or 15 MIDI-Tracks and a Sample-Track, if you want
2 - no, but you can copy all tracks from measure X to measure Y, to simulate this Pattern Mode.

Candy
digiplay

Post by digiplay »

Hi Candy!

On a Yamaha MOXF one can turn a Performance (Four Voices, one of them a Drum Pattern) into a Sequence.

Can I take a Split Roland Performance that is also using a Rhythm Pattern and turn that Performance into a Sequence (including the Rhythm Pattern)?

Thanks!

Jerry
digiplay

Post by digiplay »

Anyone?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

digiplay wrote:Hi Candy!

On a Yamaha MOXF one can turn a Performance (Four Voices, one of them a Drum Pattern) into a Sequence.

Can I take a Split Roland Performance that is also using a Rhythm Pattern and turn that Performance into a Sequence (including the Rhythm Pattern)?

Thanks!

Jerry
Good question!

Let's see the owners answers :-)
Candy

Post by Candy »

digiplay wrote:Hi Candy!

Thanks!

Jerry

You can record the Rhythm-Patterns into the sequencer, yes!
I don´t know, what you mean with " take a Split Roland Performance and turn that Performance into a Sequence".

Candy
digiplay

Post by digiplay »

An exact example of what I mean is that on the Yamaha MOXF/MOTIF XF there is a Performance that is composed of a Drum Kit that is playing a Pattern (ARP in Yamaha terms) as Voice One, a Bass Guitar (as Voice Two) that plays below Middle C and a Piano Voice (as Voice 3) that plays above Middle C.

So in essence, it is exactly like a Split Roland Performance that can have a Drum Rhythm playing along with (2) Voices.

On the Yamaha you can record the Performance as either a Pattern or a Song Sequence.

Once you decide which type Sequence Mode you want to record by (Pattern or Song) you press the Record Button, start playing the Performance and when you are through playing you press Stop.

Once you press Stop, the Sequence is now converted to a Song, which has (3) Tracks:
1) Drums, playing the ARP/Pattern.
2) Bass.
3) Piano.

You can now record up to 13 more Tracks (for a total of 16) on the Song.
Candy

Post by Candy »

I think, problem is the different meaning of the word performance. At Yamaha a performance is in the normal Terminologie a pattern, different instruments in a defined number of tacts. Formally Roland ment with Performance a configuration of different instruments (sounds), today Roland calls it Studio-Set, only a combination of sounds regardless of the sequencer.

I mean, no, you can't create Patterns (Yamaha: Performances) with different instruments (sounds) in the FA and transfer them in the sequencer. But yes, you can record the rhythm-patterns into the sequencer and later record the other instruments on the other tracks. Also you can use several tracks for the drums, not only one.

I hope, I could give you the right answer.

Candy
Candy

Post by Candy »

I started sequencing with the Atari Notator. There indeed you could create different patterns, defined them as chorus, Bridge, refrain etc., sort them and create therewith a Song (f.e. Intro, chorus, chorus, refrain, Bridge chorus, refrain, refrain), called "sequence".

With the Roland-Sequencer this is not possible, there you can simulate the patterns with copying different measures at a defined place in your arrangement. F.e. measure 1-4=Intro, 5-12=Chorus, 13-20=Refrain. Then copy all tracks measure 5-12 to measure 21 to create the next chorus (or copy 5-20 to have once again chorus and refrain).
When you use the integrated drum-patterns of the FA, you copy all tracks except the drum-track (normally track 10), because this is ready for the whole song.

It is complicated, to explain this.

Candy
HK77

Post by HK77 »

Is it just me or are people confusing a linear sequencer with a loop pattern sequencer?
digiplay

Post by digiplay »

Candy wrote:I think, problem is the different meaning of the word performance. At Yamaha a performance is in the normal Terminologie a pattern, different instruments in a defined number of tacts. Formally Roland ment with Performance a configuration of different instruments (sounds), today Roland calls it Studio-Set, only a combination of sounds regardless of the sequencer.

I mean, no, you can't create Patterns (Yamaha: Performances) with different instruments (sounds) in the FA and transfer them in the sequencer. But yes, you can record the rhythm-patterns into the sequencer and later record the other instruments on the other tracks. Also you can use several tracks for the drums, not only one.

I hope, I could give you the right answer.

Candy
Thanks for the way you're helping me :)

When you say I can later record the other instruments on the other tracks, do you mean one instrument at a time or can I record the split (Bass and Piano) both at the same time on two separate tracks?
digiplay

Post by digiplay »

HK77 wrote:Is it just me or are people confusing a linear sequencer with a loop pattern sequencer?
Is the FA Sequencer a linear or a loop pattern Sequencer?
Candy

Post by Candy »

HK77 had the right idea (thank you!) : The FA-Sequencer is a
linear sequencer!
geeman

Post by geeman »

Candy wrote:HK77 had the right idea (thank you!) : The FA-Sequencer is a
linear sequencer!
Hello Candy and thanks for helpful hints of late.

To me, the FA is an exciting song and ideas scratchpad, probably the best keyboard I have owned (to-date). But I doubt I would regard it as my stand-alone song composition machine.

I like strong visuals to begin with. In my mind's eye, I imagine something like giant Lego Bricks for me to arrange from left to right. Different colours for intro, verse, chorus, bridge. And on a big wide screen to contain them all without horizontal scrolling.

I would like that, if you please, for under a fiver, with no bloated bells and whistles or no need for a degree in audio engineering. :-)

The closest composition aid that worked for me in the past, was the very early version of Band-In-a-Box. But INMO, the current version is just too dazzling with its crammed screen of options. All subjective, of course, and congratulations to anyone using it.
digiplay

Post by digiplay »

Candy wrote:HK77 had the right idea (thank you!) : The FA-Sequencer is a
linear sequencer!
Hi Candy!

Please excuse my question if it seems stupid, but if the FA-06/08 is a Linear Sequencer, why does EVERY YouTube Video showcase the Sequencer by Looping Sequences?

Thanks!

Jerry