Forum for Roland FA-06/08
jimmyfontana

Re: Sequencer question

Post by jimmyfontana »

digiplay wrote:
Candy wrote:HK77 had the right idea (thank you!) : The FA-Sequencer is a
linear sequencer!
Hi Candy!

Please excuse my question if it seems stupid, but if the FA-06/08 is a Linear Sequencer, why does EVERY YouTube Video showcase the Sequencer by Looping Sequences?

Thanks!

Jerry
I'm not Candy, but they show loop recording as in looping certain measures while you record, but it's not a loop/pattern sequencer, only when you record (if you want). It looks like you can't have different loops/sections marked and jump between those, just one.
digiplay

Post by digiplay »

So how do record a (3) minute Song?
Candy

Post by Candy »

There are different ways:

First plan your song. Write down how you want to build it:
Intro - (4 Measures) - Chorus (8 Measures) - Bridge (2 Measures) - Chorus (8 Measures) - Refrain (8 Measures) - Chorus (8 Measures) - Refrain (8 Measures) - Refrain (8 Measures) - End (2 Measures) for example.

In the FA is the possibility, to Programm the drum-patterns in the way of this plan. You then can record the whole drum-part on the drum-track (10) for the complete song.

Other way is you record any instrument, you want. You can record f.e. the bass-line for the whole song (from measure 2-57, I reserve measure 1 always for System-Messages, Programm-changes and so on) or you record first only for Intro and Chorus (2-13). Later you can copy the measures 6-13 to the measure 16 and 32, to have it for the two other choruses. But first play the other instruments for the basic-tracks and then copy all together. Same with the other measures, which are the Refrain.
For this procedure you also can use the Loop-Sequencing: first program the loop from Measures 2-6, record all instruments for the intro, then change the loop from 6-14 and do the same for the chorus...

You see, you have all ppossibilities, everyone can choose the method he likes. But certain basic knowledge of sequencing should already exist!

Candy
Solitary man

Post by Solitary man »

I recently watched the Sonicstate youtube video with Nick Batt and the guy from Roland UK. He was loop recording say a 4 bar loop and then sampling it. I take it there are 4x16 samples so is it possible to make all the patterns you want and then some how chain them together?

He did say the quality is exactly the same as if it were straight from the sequencer itself and it's instant playback from the SD card.

Hope this is a possibility!
Candy

Post by Candy »

Another possibility and a very good idea!
Solitary man

Post by Solitary man »

Yeah and I would be definitely considering the FA08 even though I just got my Yamaha MoxF8 ;-)
digiplay

Post by digiplay »

Solitary man wrote:Yeah and I would be definitely considering the FA08 even though I just got my Yamaha MoxF8 ;-)
Hi Solitary man :)

Is it just me or does what Candy described as an example of how to record a Song seem complicated?

Do you find Sequencing on the MOXF that hard?

Thanks (thanks to you also Candy)!
jimmyfontana

Post by jimmyfontana »

Solitary man wrote:I recently watched the Sonicstate youtube video with Nick Batt and the guy from Roland UK. He was loop recording say a 4 bar loop and then sampling it. I take it there are 4x16 samples so is it possible to make all the patterns you want and then some how chain them together?

He did say the quality is exactly the same as if it were straight from the sequencer itself and it's instant playback from the SD card.

Hope this is a possibility!
I don't know if you can manually trigger/chain the pads in sync with the tempo like queueing patterns in a groovebox, and it would be necessary to avoid potential timing problems triggering pads too soon or too late.
Candy

Post by Candy »

Within the sample you can't change the tempo of course. But triggering in the sequencer you can sync exactly, because you can move the triggering-time like moving a note in the sequencer!

Candy

Update:... but you have to keep the tempo, which you choose at the recording of the Samples, you may not change the tempo. When you do it, it could be difficult, to find the exactly startpoint of the next sample
Solitary man

Post by Solitary man »

digiplay wrote:
Solitary man wrote:Yeah and I would be definitely considering the FA08 even though I just got my Yamaha MoxF8 ;-)
Hi Solitary man :)

Is it just me or does what Candy described as an example of how to record a Song seem complicated?

Do you find Sequencing on the MOXF that hard?

Thanks (thanks to you also Candy)!
It does but I can see where he's coming from and basically there isn't much else you could do from reading the manual. Only just got my MoxF8 so I will let you know ;-). I did have a RM1x a few years ago and I got on very well with it's sequencer so should be ok.

I sold my Fantom X6 because I wanted to get back into playing the piano. I was going to buy the Roland Fa-08 until I found out it had a linear sequencer! The Fantom X has a fabulous sequencer, just so easy to get songs down etc but alas I needed to move forward as it's 11 years old now, though still a great workstation.
jimmyfontana

Post by jimmyfontana »

Solitary man wrote:I was going to buy the Roland Fa-08 until I found out it had a linear sequencer! The Fantom X has a fabulous sequencer, just so easy to get songs down etc but alas I needed to move forward as it's 11 years old now, though still a great workstation.
Solitary man, does the moxf have pattern sequencer?
Solitary man

Post by Solitary man »

jimmyfontana wrote:
Solitary man wrote:I was going to buy the Roland Fa-08 until I found out it had a linear sequencer! The Fantom X has a fabulous sequencer, just so easy to get songs down etc but alas I needed to move forward as it's 11 years old now, though still a great workstation.
Yes it does and you can chain the patterns together to make a song. I think you can have up to 64 songs in the moxF at any one time.

Also the interesting thing I have just realized is it has 16 MFX effects but these are routed over the 8 parts in a performance, 2 per part. The Roland FA has 16 MFX but only 1 per part.

I have used Yamaha workstations before, borrowed from friends etc, and always found them easy to get used to. The reason I bought my Fantom X in 2007 was because of the sampling, sequencer and the overall vibe I got from it. I resented the fact that the Motif ES, which was the competition at the time, had to be upgraded to get the sampling.
digiplay

Post by digiplay »

jimmyfontana wrote:
The MOXF Sequencer is a:
1) Pattern Sequencer.
2) Song Sequencer.
3) Step Recorder Sequencer.
jimmyfontana

Post by jimmyfontana »

Thanks for the answers.

It seems the mofx has the same sequencer of the rm1x, which was one of the best hardware sequencers I've used.

I still have to check the quality of the internal synth compared to the fa's to see which one to buy.
Solitary man

Post by Solitary man »

jimmyfontana wrote:Thanks for the answers.

It seems the mofx has the same sequencer of the rm1x, which was one of the best hardware sequencers I've used.

I still have to check the quality of the internal synth compared to the fa's to see which one to buy.
It's all down to personal taste. I demoed the Moxf 8 over a couple of visits and was really impressed with the overall sound, added to that the free downloads from Yamaha, need the flash board though, and I was sold. I will be trying out the FA though as I really do think it's a great sounding board coupled with the SRX boards. It's a no brainer soundwise. Just for me not as a main synth.

If you want to check out the versatility of the MoxF synth engine check out this site; http://easysounds.eshop.t-online.de/epa ... ategories/
some pretty awesome patches on here.