Sequencer question

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
PauloF

Re: Sequencer question

Post by PauloF »

Solitary man wrote:
jimmyfontana wrote: Solitary man, does the moxf have pattern sequencer?
Yes it does and you can chain the patterns together to make a song. I think you can have up to 64 songs in the moxF at any one time.

Also the interesting thing I have just realized is it has 16 MFX effects but these are routed over the 8 parts in a performance, 2 per part. The Roland FA has 16 MFX but only 1 per part.
There are indeed 2 Pairs of 8 Insert Effects (A and B) that can be applied like this:

- VOICE MODE (One Part): One A/B Pair can be connected to each individual Element of a Voice (Part1)
The max being 8 different (A, B, A+B, A>B or B>A) Effects, one to each Element

- PERFORMANCE MODE (4 parts) : The usage depends on the number of different A/B Insertion Effects that is applied to the Elements (1-8) of each of the 4 voices/Parts composing the Performance.

For example:
- Part1 uses 7 Elements (6 different Insert Effects):
4 of them with insert effect A= VCM XXX, B= AAAA
2 of them with insert effect A= VCM YYY, B= BBBB
1 of them with insert effect A= VCM ZZZ, B= CCCC
- Part 2 uses 4 Elements with insert effect A= WWW, B= DDDD (two different Insert Effects)
- Part 3 uses 2 Elements with insert effect A=XXX, B=AAAA
- Part 4 uses 2 Elements with insert effect A=XXX, B=DDDD

The Parts 3 and 4 need to be using the same Effects that are already being used on the Parts 1 and 2, as all the 8 available Insert Effects were used

SONG/SEQUENCER MODE: The 8 Insert Effects can be applied to 8 Parts maximum
Solitary man

Post by Solitary man »

Yes it's not performance mode you get the 8 pairs of insert effects, it's song mode. You'll have to give me time to adjust to the Yamaha way of thinking! ;-)
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Solitary man wrote:Yes it's not performance mode you get the 8 pairs of insert effects, it's song mode. You'll have to give me time to adjust to the Yamaha way of thinking! ;-)
c'mon...more time??? ;-)

Not quite. In the MOXF you get the 8 pairs in all MODES: VOICE, Performance and Song/Pattern/Mix, but in SONG/Pattern/Mix the limitation is that only 8 of the 16 Parts can have Insert Effects.
jimmyfontana

Post by jimmyfontana »

Solitary Man, I checked those sound demos. Lots of sound design potential, specially with the flash card expansion and the 8 oscillators per voice. The moxf sounds very clean, maybe too much for me, and the drums seem a bit less punchy than the fa. Of course all this can be solved with fx.

Functionally and specs wise I very much prefer the moxf to the fa and I already know the yamaha way of sequencing and Cubase. Soundwise not sure yet - I think I favour a bit the fa, though I miss more variety in the supernatural acoustic tones included. Will have to compare side by side in the store.