Patch Remain

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
theshinenz

Patch Remain

Post by theshinenz »

Can someone please confirm whether or not the FA has patch remain. I watched one video on youtube said it did, but have been reading rumours it does not. Could someone who owns one please select a patch, hold the sound with sustain and switch to next sound and see if theres a cutoff between sounds.

I've ordered the fa-08 on the basis I thought it had this feature considering previous workstations like the G did so need to know if it can do this or not, as it may be a deal breaker.

Cheers
Scott
geeman

Re: Patch Remain

Post by geeman »

theshinenz wrote:Can someone please confirm whether or not the FA has patch remain. I watched one video on youtube said it did, but have been reading rumours it does not. Could someone who owns one please select a patch, hold the sound with sustain and switch to next sound and see if theres a cutoff between sounds.

I've ordered the fa-08 on the basis I thought it had this feature considering previous workstations like the G did so need to know if it can do this or not, as it may be a deal breaker.

Cheers
Scott
Hi Scott,

Can't find any patches (newbie here), but tried this just now with 2 synth pads. With sustain pedal held down, the sound of the first one I selected sustains / merges with the second tone I selected. Or put it another way, there is no sudden break between the two.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

It is called Tone Remain since the FA's have Tones, not Patches.

See p.100 of the Reference Manual for more info.
Abeck

Post by Abeck »

Yes it does have patch remain. Although, I did notice if I hold down something with some sustain (pad), and scroll the wheel through some other patches really fast, there are some artifacts in the sound. Nothing major, but it's not entirely clean.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Yupe its tone remain, However roland have cut corners on this
and say that there is no guarantee this will work with all patches especially if you switch from a regular to a supernatural tone.
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

Quinnx. wrote:Yupe its tone remain, However roland have cut corners on this
and say that there is no guarantee this will work with all patches especially if you switch from a regular to a supernatural tone.
The only supernatural tone exception I saw in the manual is organ.
Halunlimited

Post by Halunlimited »

Scott. I found the patch/tone remain worked best when I took the patches I wanted and put them into a Studio Set. Then the patch would hold its sustain while I moved onto the next patch in the lineup and I did not experience any artifacts (vs, when I had the Fantom X8, they would cut off between patch changes). I tried lining up the patches I wanted (e.g. for a song) as Favorites on the FA-08 but experienced some problems, including not being able to see what patches were in the various banks after I stored them and wanted to use them in order. I was probably missing something in the correct procedure. I only had a few hours with it and spent most of my time reviewing the various acoustic and synth patches and comparing SN vs PCM etc. Hal
theshinenz

Post by theshinenz »

Thanks guys,...doesnt sound too bad, should suffice for live playing.

One more question. If you use a studio set and use the pads to mute/unmute the tones in the studio set, do the muted tones use up polyphony?

Cheers
Scott
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

theshinenz wrote:Thanks guys,...doesnt sound too bad, should suffice for live playing.

One more question. If you use a studio set and use the pads to mute/unmute the tones in the studio set, do the muted tones use up polyphony?

Cheers
Scott
Yes they do, as the Part MUTE only sets the Part Volume to ZERO.
In order to not use up polyphony, you need to set the Part SW=OFF
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

From Keyboard Mag Review:

"The instrument does support “patch remain” (being able to change to another program while sustaining the previous sound without notes cutting off), but only under certain circumstances. You can change from program to program without having the previous program cut off in Single mode, but if the effects change from one program to another, you hear an audible burp—and more often than not, the effects do change. This, however, can be avoided in Sequencer or Studio Set mode. In either case, you can scroll up or back to a different part seamlessly. Even the sustain pedal can be used, sustaining the held sound and not affecting the new sound at all until the previous sound is released. “Patch remain” is not supported when switching Studio Sets, though—the previous sound is cut off entirely."

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/rola ... wed/154372

This is not as powerful a patch remain that was in the Fantom G, but hopefully it will suffice for me.
Kingy75

Post by Kingy75 »

So if you need to move quickly between studio sets the sound will always cut off? This is very unhelpful and disapointing.

I'm currently working on a show where I have several splits and layers sometimes within one song and I can't just switch between parts in the one studio set - or can I? Does that make sense?
nathbeadle

Post by nathbeadle »

A few of us replied to this question in another post in this forum, but the quick answer is KEYBOARD GROUPS that were added in v2.0 to the firmware.... an answer to prayer to be able to create complex combinations of tones and switch between them effortlessly and seamlessly!