Korg Krome vs Roland FA

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Blueturtle

Korg Krome vs Roland FA

Post by Blueturtle »

PauloF

Re: Korg Krome vs Roland FA

Post by PauloF »

Well... The Patches chosen are not very similar but to be honest I prefer the FA!!! (except the Trance part...as was not the best choice to match the Krome one IMO).
The Sound Of Music

Post by The Sound Of Music »

Hello ,

The Fa is a real synthesizer,
you can do the same trance sounds, sounds are captivating
Vitus

Post by Vitus »

I have Krome 88, not FA yet, but thinking about it... both at the price they are very good machines. Can the FA as Krome perform by one potentiometer the crossfade? (volume of a sound increases, the other decreases)

Studio set - Krome=FA
Grand piano - Krome=FA
Jazz organ - Krome +1
Steel acoustic - Krome=FA
String, woodwind - Krome +1
Distortion guitar - Krome=FA
Synth lead - Krome +1 for classic synth, FA +1 for modern electronica
dan88z

Post by dan88z »

The problem with the Krome in the 88 key version keybed is horrible. Probably the worst I've ever touched- I didn't even power it on to listen to it because there's no way I could use the board.

I think the sound compares are all subjective anyway. With so many different patches to choose from, how can you say strings from synth A are better than B? I'm sure there is a sound in there somewhere that would match up with what they pick from the other board, or vice versa. It seems like they dial up the 1st patch and go with that.

That Axel thing is another example. Surely, with all of the sounds in the FA, there is something that is closer to what the original song used.
rolandagent£££

Post by rolandagent£££ »

Vitus wrote:
I have Krome 88, not FA yet, but thinking about it... both at the price they are very good machines. Can the FA as Krome perform by one potentiometer the crossfade? (volume of a sound increases, the other decreases)

Studio set - Krome=FA
Grand piano - Krome=FA
Jazz organ - Krome +1
Steel acoustic - Krome=FA
String, woodwind - Krome +1
Distortion guitar - Krome=FA
Synth lead - Krome +1 for classic synth, FA +1 for modern electronica
Put the Krome's sounds into the FA's useability and you have a winner... the FA wins on useability, simple. Do love the Krome grand, I sold my Krome.
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

Vitus wrote: String, woodwind - Krome +1
Do you really rate the Krome STRINGS better than the SN-A strings of the FA? Or is it more regarding solo strings? I found the Krome string sections very weak. I still have a detailed Krome strings demo on Youtube, in which I went through nearly all strings programs. I somewhat liked the quartets and solo strings, also the tremolo, but the sections - not at all. To me, the Roland SN-A strings are the most realistic preset strings of any hardware instrument I know.

http://youtu.be/HeBxV6HuOzo
https://soundcloud.com/rolandcom/sna020 ... 01208-snat
synthguy99

Post by synthguy99 »

I'm with specialplant. The Krome is a nice budget keyboard, but it's basically another rompler, so everything that makes the Kronos awesome has been stripped away.

The FA is cut back too. Most of the SN acoustic sounds are gone. But other than that, it's an amazing full blown synth workstation with the whole Jupiter SN VA synth and organ model inside. And getting the essentials of the SRX expansions beef up the FA nicely. Among the budget synth workstations, the only ones that really stick out are Yamaha's MoXF and the FAs. And I'd go for the FA.
Vitus

Post by Vitus »

specialplant wrote:
Vitus wrote: String, woodwind - Krome +1
Do you really rate the Krome STRINGS better than the SN-A strings of the FA? Or is it more regarding solo strings? I found the Krome string sections very weak. I still have a detailed Krome strings demo on Youtube, in which I went through nearly all strings programs. I somewhat liked the quartets and solo strings, also the tremolo, but the sections - not at all. To me, the Roland SN-A strings are the most realistic preset strings of any hardware instrument I know.
I evaluated only what was in reference to You Tube. I haven't FA, so I can not compare more, but that's here wrote dan88z, it is mostly subjective. Again, the Krome is the sound very solid tool (less sounds, but all applicable) FA is obviously also a great machine.