FA-08 Keyboard Action...

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
rdhornst

FA-08 Keyboard Action...

Post by rdhornst »

Hello,

I've had my FA-08 for about a week now and am contemplating whether or not to return it. I found that the keys don't bounce back as a normal piano or other keyboards. If you try to play one note with two fingers in a busier rhythmic pattern (such as sixteenth notes or sixteenth note triplets), it seems too stiff and you don't hear most of the notes. I've played with the system settings for velocity and haven't found a happy medium. Has anybody else noticed this issue?
The Un-dr.

Re: FA-08 Keyboard Action...

Post by The Un-dr. »

I just tried what I think you mean, and I think I noticed it. But you really have to be hitting them in succession pretty dang fast for it to miss a little, so it's not relevant for me because I don't see myself needing that sound etc.

(I already gave my Fantom X8 to my brother, so I'm not sure it could do this.)

But if you need super responsiveness, I can see why you're frustrated.
geeman

Post by geeman »

rdhornst wrote:Hello,

I've had my FA-08 for about a week now and am contemplating whether or not to return it. I found that the keys don't bounce back as a normal piano or other keyboards. If you try to play one note with two fingers in a busier rhythmic pattern (such as sixteenth notes or sixteenth note triplets), it seems too stiff and you don't hear most of the notes. I've played with the system settings for velocity and haven't found a happy medium. Has anybody else noticed this issue?
Hi there, rdhornst.

Could you please post an example of what you mean?

Just recorded some staccato notes (using two finger ends) directly into a voice recorder. Seems okay to my untrained ears, although I'm not a keyboard player per se. Just to be clear: not *just* two finger ends - my FA-06 was involved, too.

good regards

https://www.mediafire.com/?t33zzd515vjsh9z
regards
rdhornst

Post by rdhornst »

Hi Geeman,

Thanks for sharing your file! Please clarify which model you did your recording with (FA-06 or FA-08)? The FA-06 wouldn't have this issue as the FA-08 has the weighted keys. Here is a link to a quick recording on the FA-08:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/54cni ... no_key.aif
dBob

Post by dBob »

I’m interested in key-action and hope to test the FA-08 soon. I’ve already tried out the MOXF8 and must say that although I didn’t dislike its key-action I could sense the bounciness of the keys whenever I released them as a little slow. I’m just hoping the FA-08 feels better, because I really like this workstation, a lot.

I´m not a trained pianist but it seems I’m not alone noticing the key-bounciness of the MOXF-08. Here is an example:
“I tried out the moxf8 and loved the sounds but not so much the weighted keys it seemed like forever before they would spring back up” (http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/h ... f8-470637/)

I’m not trying to criticize the MOXF8, it is a wonderful machine and I love it. For me is either the FA-08 or the MOXF8. Right now, the FA-08 is winning for what I need.

I would not consider returning the FA-08 (or any other weighted keyboard) for the reason you gave about fast notes on a single key. But that’s me, and subjective. If I’d need sometimes to be that fast I’d connect a second 37-49-keys midi keyboard.

Enjoy your FA-08.
geeman

Post by geeman »

rdhornst wrote:Hi Geeman,

Thanks for sharing your file! Please clarify which model you did your recording with (FA-06 or FA-08)? The FA-06 wouldn't have this issue as the FA-08 has the weighted keys. Here is a link to a quick recording on the FA-08:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/54cni ... no_key.aif
Hi rdhornst,

My bad: - mine is the FA_06, not the FA-08. But I'll leave the sound file up as a reminder for me to pay closer attention. :-)

cheeers
rdhornst

Post by rdhornst »

geeman wrote:
rdhornst wrote:Hi Geeman,

Hi rdhornst,

My bad: - mine is the FA_06, not the FA-08. But I'll leave the sound file up as a reminder for me to pay closer attention. :-)

cheeers
LOL, no worries Geeman, I still appreciate your participation on this topic and enjoyed listening to your sound sample..
dBob wrote:
I would not consider returning the FA-08 (or any other weighted keyboard) for the reason you gave about fast notes on a single key. But that’s me, and subjective. If I’d need sometimes to be that fast I’d connect a second 37-49-keys midi keyboard.
I"m not sure if that is enough reason for me to return it either. I do like it and realize that there will never be a perfect solution. I also wish that they included a modulation and pitch bend wheel above the joystick (that can also be assigned different functions). I'm not crazy about using the knobs for orchestral samples.
HK77

Post by HK77 »

As an RD-300GX owner this sounds strangely familiar. :)
Call me crazy, but this actually just makes me even more interested in the FA-08.
anansab

Post by anansab »

Spent half-an-hour in my local dealers showroom today.

My first impulse was to dig in to the FA-08s action, and my impression is that it has a good feel for my style of piano-playing as well as being light enough to allow for good synth-runs. I also spent some time A/B-ing it against the FA-06 standing next to it, and IMHO the 06 is not worth it in terms of less money, smaller footprint and weight: The keybed felt less expressive even than that of the Juno-Di. To me it isn't playable at all and the only way I see myself getting any use for it is by controlling it from my PC3X.

So I'm basically down to three options: 1. Going for the Integra-7 controlled from my PC3X. 2. Swapping my PC3X for a brand new FA-08. 3.Adding a FA-08 to the second tier of my QuikLok-stand ;)
Flavorkeys

Post by Flavorkeys »

I have been trying to decide on the FA08 or the MOXF8 (like many people) and the action of the FA is what is going to win it for me. Although I love the soundset of the MOXF8, I really can't stand the action. It's almost bordering on semi-weighted (and bouncy). Since I am using this board as my bottom board and will be playing a lot of piano on it, it has to have a good, expressive piano feel and the FA08 has got that IMO.

Maybe I'll add an XS rack later on (I don't think the XF has a rack but it's essentially the same soundset as XS I believe)
panasony

Post by panasony »

I love the feel of the 08 and it is much more weightier than other keyboards in its class , I has a kronos 88 before and the weighted keys and feel are nowhere near that of the 08 but you cant expect it to feel like a proper piano as you have to use it for organs and synths to so there has to be a happy medium which I feel roland has got right with this keyboard even with the cream/ yellow tint tint of the keys to give that ivory look
Halunlimited

Post by Halunlimited »

The feel of the key bed, of course, is important and you should be happy with it. IMO the key bed of the FA is very good for the feature level and price level it's at. Sure, there are better key beds out there, but I don't think with the overall combination of capability, usability and price level. Before you return the unit, I recommend you check to make sure any other keyboard you consider fulfills all your other needs too ... so that you don't end up with a better key bed but lose other things that you really liked on the FA. There may not be another keyboard that has everything optimal for you at this price point. The lower the price point, the more trade offs we usually encounter. Make sure you are not trading off something that may be even more important.
electrow

Post by electrow »

Does it have the same action & feel of the A-88 controller?

Thanks
Mork

Post by Mork »

I realize i seem to be unique on this forum as the fa 08 is my only digital synth. I am quite happy with my fa-08 keyboard. I have long regretted selling my fantom x8 and have found that i never liked my yamaha mo8 keybed as much. The fa 08 reminds me of the x8 and i like the real feel. Im no pianist but i like big weighted keys and 88 notes to trigger analog synths.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Mork wrote:I realize i seem to be unique on this forum as the fa 08 is my only digital synth. I am quite happy with my fa-08 keyboard. I have long regretted selling my fantom x8 and have found that i never liked my yamaha mo8 keybed as much. The fa 08 reminds me of the x8 and i like the real feel. Im no pianist but i like big weighted keys and 88 notes to trigger analog synths.
...and lots of possible splits to drive several Internal parts (Single or Layered) and External Parts (external gear)