FA Editor

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
bennyseven

Re: FA Editor

Post by bennyseven »

It is a configuration file for the program "Mididesigner" which could be downloaded with an Apple mobile device like Ipad. You have to buy the Mididesigner program from the App store before opening and using the config file. Seems to be a very good solution to use an editor construction kit.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Browsing around I found a Windows program similar to mididesigner. It is called CTRLR, look here: http://ctrlr.org. it is free/open source.
They have some pretty good editors for some synths, listet in a separate, called "panels" page.
I think it should be possible to create a FA editor, but must be a lot of effort due to the professional and powerfull construction suite.
Has anybody skills and too much time...?
Candy

Post by Candy »

For my Android Tablet I found an App named MIDI Commander. With this App you can program several Wheels, Buttons and Drawbars (!) for every Midi Device, I think, also for the FA. It is important, that you use the generic driver in the FA, not the Vendor!
andyr1960

Post by andyr1960 »

Candy wrote:For my Android Tablet I found an App named MIDI Commander. With this App you can program several Wheels, Buttons and Drawbars (!) for every Midi Device, I think, also for the FA. It is important, that you use the generic driver in the FA, not the Vendor!
Thanks for the info Candy.

I'm responsible for the FA06/08 SN-S template for Midi Designer mentioned a few posts back, I'll have a go at Midi Commander and see what I come up with.

I did start making a template for Ctrlr, but It's too intensive to learn and I didn't want to end up pushing a mouse pointer around the screen. Personally, I think a touch device is far more intuitive for synth editing.
Candy

Post by Candy »

In the moment I have no time, to programm the MIDI Commander, but if someone programs a template for the FA (in MIDI Commander called Setups), I would be enjoyed, when he can send it to me .

Candy
Fleer

Post by Fleer »

andy, congrats and thanks for your MidiDesigner editor.
Are you updating?
Mark Offski

Post by Mark Offski »

I'm not quite sure what it is you would want to edit, that you cant already do on the keyboard with the comprehensive editing facilities? I can understand fully the Integra users needing one, as I've followed the debate about one on the integra forum, but I cant think what you would need one for on the FA series, perhaps you could enlighten me? The only thing I'm short of is a .ins file for the FA for my Sonar, I saw a thread started but it didn't seem to go anywhere.

Incidentally if I was Roland, I'd send K_Take an FA-06 with the understanding he did a conversion of his excellent app for the series, it would be a shrewd business move, if they just want to support the Apple products that's fine, but for the cost to them of 1 single unit, they would satisfy a lot of users, and show that they encourage those with the ability to create not just music, but also programmers to get the best out of their product, which they could also publicise and make revenue out of, a no brainer really I would have thought...
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

Lovely Idea!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Mark Offski wrote:I'm not quite sure what it is you would want to edit, that you cant already do on the keyboard with the comprehensive editing facilities? I can understand fully the Integra users needing one, as I've followed the debate about one on the integra forum, but I cant think what you would need one for on the FA series, perhaps you could enlighten me? The only thing I'm short of is a .ins file for the FA for my Sonar, I saw a thread started but it didn't seem to go anywhere.

Incidentally if I was Roland, I'd send K_Take an FA-06 with the understanding he did a conversion of his excellent app for the series, it would be a shrewd business move, if they just want to support the Apple products that's fine, but for the cost to them of 1 single unit, they would satisfy a lot of users, and show that they encourage those with the ability to create not just music, but also programmers to get the best out of their product, which they could also publicise and make revenue out of, a no brainer really I would have thought...
+1 to that!

I'll just add: the I integra is a breeze to configure even from the front panel!
BigBANGtheory

Post by BigBANGtheory »

Is the value of a software editor to simply extend the functions of the built-in editor to a more user friendly device i.e. a large screen (ideally touch sensitive) so that the programmer is presented with many or all the options in one place?

I would love to see a PC or Android editor for the FA along the lines of what is available for the MOXF.

Correct me please if I am wrong here... my understanding is a DAW such as Sonar is not capable of this type of editing but rather new external sounds/tones courtesy of VST plug-ins using the FA as a midi controller i.e. it cannot program the FA tones per se.
Johan_B

Post by Johan_B »

Candy wrote:For my Android Tablet I found an App named MIDI Commander. With this App you can program several Wheels, Buttons and Drawbars (!) for every Midi Device, I think, also for the FA. It is important, that you use the generic driver in the FA, not the Vendor!
Hi

Thx Candy, great app. I was able to use it with my Boss RC300 Loop station using CC and PCs.
But no clue how to do it on the FA06. As English is not my native tongue I don't grab the English Manual.
Could you or someone else walk me thru an example. For example I send a CC21. How can I influcence something in the FA06, e.g. switch on/off an TFX or changing the volume?
skyy19851

Post by skyy19851 »

CC's that are useful are usually 01 (modulation) 07 (volume) 64 (hold) 91 (reverb) 93 (chorus). I also use 94 (celeste) & 02 (breath) as alternate controllers for misc. stuff. When controlling from a "master" board these function are used to control these parameters. If you get into sysex you can basically control just about anything (parameter) in your board (Roland FA). Start with CC's first to get a hang of these and then move on to sysex, hope this helps!!
BigBANGtheory

Post by BigBANGtheory »

ah I see what you are getting at now...

Use the Roland Midi Implementation manual to work out the Sysex commands, then program a panel in Ctrlr based around the presentation of the FA-08 screens. Yes that makes sense... seems to be a lot of work I wonder if there is any way we can divide conquer / collaborate in the community to get something going?
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

I don't think it is nessessary to reprogram all menus of the FA.
What about a set of minimum requirements to start with?
What is minimum for the Ctrl in standalone mode (PC program) and what for VST (plug-in)?

I would prefer something like SN-S and PCMS synth edit screens for easier sound editing (all params on one screen).
BigBANGtheory

Post by BigBANGtheory »

Yes the 2 principle sound engines would make the most sense.