Real Time Control of Rotary Speaker with EV-5 pedal: How?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
The Un-dr.

Real Time Control of Rotary Speaker with EV-5 pedal: How?

Post by The Un-dr. »

So I just got an EV-5 pedal today. Yay! So far, so good. (Also got a DP-10 and a FS-5L. The DP-10 works just fine for a damper. Haven't tired anything with the FS-5L yet because...)

The main reason I got the EV-5 was to speed up and slow down the rotary speaker effect when playing an organ tone. I was under the impression we could do that, but maybe not because I've been working on this for an hour or so and I can't figure it out.

I've been in the Studio Set Effects Edit section and messing around the the MFX and MFX Control settings, but no luck. I can speed up the rotary speakers or slow them down, but not with the pedal.

Anybody tried this yet or have any ideas? Or, worst, know for sure we cannot do it and I should look for a workaround of some kind?

Thanks!
dBob

Re: Real Time Control of Rotary Speaker with EV-5 pedal: How

Post by dBob »

Gareth Bowen from ROLAND shows in this video that it is possible to control Leslie brake with a pedal connected to the FA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX2ZaaA41MY&t=6m44s
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

I don't have an FA, but I can give some general advice.

First, you need to tell your FA what MIDI message you want your EV-5 to transmit. Then, in MFX Control, set Source to that MIDI message and Destination to "Speed."

You may choose any MIDI message you like, but I'd recommend choosing one that isn't being used for anything else.

There is an additional complication for the FA: you have the choice of making settings at either the System or Studio Set level. I'd suggest you stick with System settings for now, just to keep things easy.

(System settings apply to the entire FA. Studio Set settings change with each Studio Set.)

You may want to check out pages 97-8 in the Reference Manual for System settings and pages 5-6 in the Parameter Guide for Studio Set settings.
Flavorkeys

Post by Flavorkeys »

I believe you'll want to assign Leslie speed to cc#01 (footwsitch 1)
The Un-dr.

Post by The Un-dr. »

Thanks, but I still can't get it. Rookie confusion, you know...

In either System or Studio Set settings, assigning the Pedal doesn't give me control of the Rotary effect. There are many different options and I haven't a clue which one is correct. I've tried many.

I would prefer to just have particular Studio Sets that include an organ sound on one of the parts to be set up for using the EV-5 for the Rotary (slow/fast).

From that video, it's clear it can be done, so I guess it's just a matter of time. I guess I can call Roland, but you sit on hold forever and they're only open Mon-Wed-Fri for a few hours.

If anyone has step-by-step instructions for both System and Studio Set set ups for this function, that would be great and much appreciated! Otherwise, once I get up to speed, I'll post back on what I've found.
Flavorkeys

Post by Flavorkeys »

Well, I just unboxed my new FA08 and it's keybed was defective so I've got to return it. Otherwise I'd try to assist you more. I got it done on my floor model while I had it so I know it's doable. Keep trying, you will probably get it done before I get back to you. Make sure your pedal is in working condition and plugged into the right input.
The Un-dr.

Post by The Un-dr. »

Well, I've got it working! I'll outline a solution, but a disclaimer: I'm not saying this is the best one or the only one.

First, note that, according to Roland, the EV-5 expression pedal isn't going to do anything beyond ON/OFF (or "Latch") for switching the Rotary Speaker effect from fast to slow on the FA series. So you can use any Latch type pedal.

Second, I decided to program this for a Studio Set, not System Wide. For live performance, you might want a System Wide setting so you don't have to remember which Studio Set(s) has/have the pedal programmed like this and which ones do not.

Make sure your organ tone Part is selected in your Studio Set.

Go to Menu then System Settings and change Pedal Assign Source to Studio. Then, if you're using the EV-5 or something similar (that has a range of motion and not just ON/OFF), for either Control Pedal Assign 1 or 2 depending on which one you want to use with the pedal, of course, change the Polarity so you're preferred change is set, i.e., if you want the Rotary Speaker to speed up when you press it down toward the toes or back to the heel. (I think I screwed this up and will have to revisit it because I set it to Reverse and now other Studio Sets that have that same Control Pedal on Volume go silent when pushed down!).

Then go to Menu-->Effects Edit and you should see your PART listed--the one from the current Studio Set that has the ORGAN tone assigned. Right under the "Part 1" (or 2 or 3 etc.), you should see your MFX/Rotary effect listed. Go down and hit the "MFX" button (button #2--same as Keyboard/Organ) and in the MFX tab, you should see your parameters. I have my SPEED set to FAST. I also tweaked the Woofer and Tweeter Trans UP and DOWN because I wanted a quick transition going UP (faster) and slow to medium going back to DOWN (a slower speed).

Then scroll back up to the MFX Control tab (one to the right). You have to change the Source 1 (or 2 or 3 or 4) to the same Source as.....as......see next step:

Back out of Effects Edit but stay in the MENU! Go to Studio Set Common. Move to the PEDAL tab. Scroll down to Pedal Assign Source and change it to STUDIO. Scroll down to Pedal 1 (or 2) Assign and make sure it's the same source as the previous step in Effects Edit. I have mine on a generic "CC80 (General-5)." SO, I had to make sure MFX Control from the previous step is CC80, too.

Well, that should work. I won't be surprised if some vets can correct some things or make it easier, but it is working for me so far.
The Un-dr.

Post by The Un-dr. »

Holy Crap!

After checking out the second of the two videos "geeman" posted from Roland in the thread: "New vid: How to create a basic sequence", I discovered none of this was necessary!

The S1 and S2 buttons above the modulation wheel can switch the Rotary effect quite nicely, thank you very much! And it seems to be programmed already!

Anyway, watch this video at about the 5:10 mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE9t4XCp ... vKf885Bubg

Well, at least I learned some things about the use of pedals, Studio Sets, Effect Edit, MFX, MFX Controller, etc.....