Mute studio session parts with a midi control change?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
phildirt01

Mute studio session parts with a midi control change?

Post by phildirt01 »

I'm looking for a way to mute parts in a studio session using midi cc's (or some type of externally input message) - the same way pads can be configured to do so. I don't see a reserved controller number to do this in the FA midi or parameter guides.

If its possible, I could transfer the muting action to a midi foot controller and free up pads for sample triggering during live performance. Any suggestions??
Rupertt

Re: Mute studio session parts with a midi control change?

Post by Rupertt »

I would like to do that too.
I have a Behringer BCR2000, so i could use some sysx for that.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Only way is tu use sysex or as an alternative the use of midi expression CC to zero the volume of a part..
stevel

Post by stevel »

phildirt01 wrote:I'm looking for a way to mute parts in a studio session using midi cc's (or some type of externally input message) - the same way pads can be configured to do so. I don't see a reserved controller number to do this in the FA midi or parameter guides.

If its possible, I could transfer the muting action to a midi foot controller and free up pads for sample triggering during live performance. Any suggestions??
https://www.rolandus.com/support/knowle ... /210292383

I was just trying to work with some sysex messages and found this. I copied and pasted the message into my Controller and it worked!

Here's the message:

Part 1 On: F0 41 10 00 00 77 12 18 00 20 01 01 46 F7

Part 1 Off: F0 41 10 00 00 77 12 18 00 20 01 00 47F7

The italicized part of each message is the same for every message in the thing. So all messages have to have this, as is (at least these basic messages).

The bold part is the important stuff:

18 00 00 00 = Temporary Studio Set - the one you're working on. This is on p 13 of the MI PDF - the very first block.

That leads to the 4th block down, "+ Studio Set"

There it says:

(18) 00 20 00 = Studio Set Part 1.

18 00 20 00 so far. That box takes you over to page 18 in the RH column where it says "Studio Set Part"

The 2nd item down is "Part Switch" which is 00 01, which means your message now looks like this:

18 00 20 01 - so basically you're telling it "we're going to be changing the Part Switch (01) for Part 1 (20) in the active Studio Set (18)

It can have a value of 00 or 01 (off, or on) which is the last Bold Italic value in the original message.

The 46 and 47 are the Check Sum values. Luckily my A Pro software has a way to calculate them automatically.

Now note that since you're assigning the message by part, you'll have to use two buttons for each part, unless your controller allows you to put one value for when you press it, and a different value for when you press it again (latch mode, etc.)

You'll also have to use a button (or pair) for each of the 16 parts.

Another possibility would be to assign Part Volume (CC 7) to a Button that puts the volume at 0 on one press, and returns it to 100 or 127, or whatever on the 2nd press. You could put it on a pair of buttons and do CC7 0 on one button, and CC 7 127 on another. But it would be easier just to use a slider or knob then...

There's also a SysEx message for a Mute Switch (which works the same as above - the last 01 before the bold italic 00 or 01 is replaced by 25. I would guess that turns Mute on and Off like the button on screen in "Part View"