midi control of external devices

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
dan88z

midi control of external devices

Post by dan88z »

I'm looking to send patch changes to my Hammond SK1 and Moog Phatty. I can't find anywhere in the studio set setup where you specify the send channel and bank/patch change info. For example, when I call up my studioset that has acoustic piano as the primary tone, I want it to send a patch change to the Hammond to call up a certain organ sound.

I read about this being possible somewhere but can't find the article and it's not in the manual (that I saw)

Thanks!
Dan
dan88z

Re: midi control of external devices

Post by dan88z »

semi resolved- the FA does send midi data to an attached device, but you can't tell it what program/bank to select. If you call up studio set 1, it sends patch 1 to the attached device. You can play those sounds from the FA keyboard but you can't set note limits or anything like that.

With my Hammond, it's workable because I don't use a lot of sounds out of it outside of organ. If I were connecting another board that needed to have a lot of programs called up, it'd be more problematic. If you save your studio sets to the number of the patch you want on the remote board, or vice versa, that works, but it's not real convenient.