FA-06 with Akai MPX8 pads (questions)

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
geeman

FA-06 with Akai MPX8 pads (questions)

Post by geeman »

Hi, have hooked up an Akai MPX8 to enjoy playing and recording some drums and percussive grand piano etc. Works great! Eternal novice here, so be patient. :-)

Connected MIDI out from Akai into MIDI in to FA-06, with SD card of the MPX8 removed.

Findings thus far: Only the MIDI notes are transmitted (changed) when using the Selector buttons of the Akai; the other buttons make no difference: Tune, Reverb, Trigger type, Volume level, & Pan.

When using the Akai pads to play piano, occasionally some of the pads of the Akai slip into Hold mode (sustained note) for some reason I can't yet fathom. ?Could this be related to the Akai's Polyphonic Aftertouch?

Was hoping to use the MPX8 to trigger the sample pads of Fa, too, but no joy so far; guess that's asking too much. :-)
geeman

Re: FA-06 with Akai MPX8 pads (questions)

Post by geeman »

Hi guys n gals,

Hope the forum won't mind my bumping this post.

Sometimes I use my Akai MPX8 to play the FA-06's drums and other tones. This gives me an alternative way of playing percussive tones, especially for folk who are not good keyboard players. :-)

My knowledge of MIDI is sparse, so I haven't yet found a way to use the MPX8 to play the FA-06 sample pads / PAD Track. It would be great if this were possible! Then maybe the FA's sample pads could then respond to velocity?

I realise that the FA's pad track can be played on the FA's keyboard; in which case it will be velocity sensitive.

thank-you
geeman

Re: FA-06 with Akai MPX8 pads (questions)

Post by geeman »

Yippee! - It works!

Velocity-sensitivity of FA-06 sample pads now available via the humble pads of the Akai MPX8.

Tried it on FA's 'Black Eyes' demo song in Sequencer mode, changed the MIDI track of Track 10 to 'PAD'.
Adjusted the MIDI note numbers of the AKAI eight pads to correspond with FA's demo song samples. {EDIT-Includes own samples}

Could be even better using a higher model MPC (with superior pads), but this still works good enough for right now and it's a cheaper-than-chips alternative to having no velocity on your FA's pads.

{EDIT: - to my knowledge, for small-footprint controller pads @ £100 UK or less, with no computer necessary, 1. Akai MPX8 or 2. the new Arturia Beatstep}

Here's a short before-and-after sound file, straight to my voice recorder. It shows the difference between FA's sample pads (non-velocity) and then played via Akai MPX8's pads. The first part of the file is me tapping on the FA's sample pads, then playing same through the MPX8.

(pardon the thumping and other sound quality issues; also used Audacity to boost some quiet bits)

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/vs91b0f ... HYpads.mp3