A pitty there is no audio track recording!

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
cbeekhuyzen

A pitty there is no audio track recording!

Post by cbeekhuyzen »

I bought the roland fantom Fa-06,but now i see there is no audio track recording?

I need that,i wish i didnt sold my fantom G....

I need to record the guitar on the fantom in my songs..
Saxifraga

Re: A pitty there is no audio track recording!

Post by Saxifraga »

Just buy a used Fantom G8. The prices are really low at the moment esp. for those heavy nice beasts!
(1500,- € .. 1800,- €)
jimmyfontana

Post by jimmyfontana »

I think you can record incoming audio as a sample and then trigger that sample through the sequencer. It basically works as an audio recorder/launcher. I think polyphony is 8 mono tracks/4 stereo, length depends on size of your sd card.

What you cannot do is listen to other audio tracks/samples while you record an audio track.
geeman

Post by geeman »

jimmyfontana wrote:I think you can record incoming audio as a sample and then trigger that sample through the sequencer. It basically works as an audio recorder/launcher. I think polyphony is 8 mono tracks/4 stereo, length depends on size of your sd card.

What you cannot do is listen to other audio tracks/samples while you record an audio track.
Here's some guys recording guitar into the mix, using the sample pads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxWE4yuX9II
cbeekhuyzen

Post by cbeekhuyzen »

Thx guys,

I hope roland will do an update just like the old fantom x to include the audio track recording!

By the way how do i trigger the sample to play in sync with the song?
Candy

Post by Candy »

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=48141

Look here about Triggering the Samples
cbeekhuyzen

Post by cbeekhuyzen »

Candy wrote:viewtopic.php?f=55&t=48141

Thx for the tip,

But what a work for only recording audio,i hope roland will fix this otherwise my roland is going back to the store where i bought the fantom Fa-06.
jimmyfontana

Post by jimmyfontana »

cbeekhuyzen wrote:
Candy wrote:viewtopic.php?f=55&t=48141

Thx for the tip,

But what a work for only recording audio,i hope roland will fix this otherwise my roland is going back to the store where i bought the fantom Fa-06.
Check the vid geeman posted. It's basically recording audio, you just have to trigger it from the sequencer at the beginning of the track or whenever you need it.
Candy

Post by Candy »

I got me last night with this busy: this only works if you have MIDI recording into the sequencer, a pad, which previously has been recorded, is not playing.
So by the way, when you have a song in the sampler, play something (like a guide-track) in the sequencer synchron to the sample. Then start the sequencer with your previos played guide-track and record a new sample. The first sample in this way will not play! It is a little bit complicated, but it works
cbeekhuyzen

Post by cbeekhuyzen »

Candy wrote:I got me last night with this busy: this only works if you have MIDI recording into the sequencer, a pad, which previously has been recorded, is not playing.
So by the way, when you have a song in the sampler, play something (like a guide-track) in the sequencer synchron to the sample. Then start the sequencer with your previos played guide-track and record a new sample. The first sample in this way will not play! It is a little bit complicated, but it works

Thx for the tip,

I hope roland updates the sequencer,because this is a time consuming workflow...
cbeekhuyzen

Post by cbeekhuyzen »

I think i send it back,its a big miss i think...
cbeekhuyzen

Post by cbeekhuyzen »

Am i the only one who is realy missing this future?
Ricoche

Post by Ricoche »

If anyone is even hinting at needing an audio track recorder or sampler, I wouldn't even go near the FA-06. I said this when it first came out and now I'm starting to read people asking these questions and thinking of returning their FA-06. For the money, I'd reach a bit more for a Fantom X or G model synth for the audio/sampling functionality. It's all there!! For Audio/Sampling, Roland missed the mark with the FA-06 and I don't think it was their intention to have it in there to begin with. Fortunately there is some good info coming out from first time users about the severe Audio/Sampling limitations. I still believe the Integra 7 is the way to go coupled with another synth for the SuperNATURAL sounds. Unless there is an update, my feeling is that the FA-06 feedback is only going to get worse. I definitely recommend reading these forums before you buy.
Striple

Post by Striple »

Ricoche, I am looking at buying the FA06 and need audio recording, so thanks for the tip off.
Once again Roland has let me down it seems. I have the JunoG and now onto my 3rd screen, and wanting to have the luxury of working on a workstation without the screen crapping out half way through a job.

The Juno D/Di came out and I thought, great, a proper screen, but no audio recording :( Now I am looking at the FA06 for the same reasons.

From what I have read, even if you use a sample bank as an audio track recorder, when you want to record the next audio track onto another sample pad, you can't monitor the first pad recording - rendering it useless as a multitrack device.

I am now looking at the Fantom X despite its' age. The other thing I liked about the FA06 was midi loop recording without having to stop the song. I can't find if the Fantom X does this or not. Can someone tell me if it does? Everything else about the Fantom seems spot on for what I need, I just wish Roland would get it right and have a new machine that does the basics.