Quiet sound when playing

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
ABGgd

Quiet sound when playing

Post by ABGgd »

So, I ordered a FA-08 today. I had a couple of hours of quality time with a FA-06, Motif XF-7 and Krome 61. The XF7 was a stand in for the MOXF. In the end I went with the FA because to me it appears to be the best overall value and of all of them, I liked and understood the FA user interface the best.

Anyway my question is about the loudness of the sounds when playing on the keyboard. When I played a few notes, the sound seem rather quiet and muted. If pressed the demo button for the sound I'd get a full volume rich sound. I tried different key velocities but I could never achieve the same volume as the demo sound. Am I doing something wrong?
Liquid

Re: Quiet sound when playing

Post by Liquid »

No, the preview function does play things loudly, as do the demo sequences. It was the same with the previous Fantoms too.

You can increase the overall output by up to 12dB which is useful.

Alan
ABGgd

Re: Quiet sound when playing

Post by ABGgd »

So I've had my FA-08 for a few days now and I thought I'd follow up this question since I now understand why it's happening.

All the preview sounds are set to play with a volume of 127. So that's why they're so loud.

The keyboard defaults to the medium velocity curve. The medium requires quite a bit of force to be used on the keys to achieve the loudest sounds (fortissimo). If you use the light curve then the volume of play goes up quite a bit. But it's at the expense of being less expressive where the velocity is concerned.

I found that by leaving the keyboard velocity curve set to medium but adjusting the keyboard velocity offset to between -3 and -5 that I was able to boost the volume while still having more or less full velocity expression.