Using the FA as Midi master

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
bennyseven

Using the FA as Midi master

Post by bennyseven »

Hello there,
I am new in this group, but since nearly 8 years I am monitoring and learning from you guys how to use and tweak my Fantom X6. Great job from you all.
So anyway, now I am turning over to my new FA06 and it must be clear, that it is a different class of keyboard by half the price of a motif, kronos, fantom.
But what me really scares is how Roland makes their products sometimes not complete of functions from a pure user/logical side. Not from an overall feature point of view.
We know this from the Fantoms (RPS state not saved within Song, PgmChange to external only send to Parts with KBD state ON, you may name sth more).

Why
- FA will NOT send the selected program of a Part to ext. Midi as PGM CHG in a Part Setup, and either when switched to EXT in the Sequencer Track Settings setup? This would be far limit because there is no Bank Select, but no use of FA as master in a double/multi midi device setup on stage.

- FA is unable to register a Song as part of the favorites as the Fantoms did ?

- Sampling section has no option for one shot samples (once triggered, playing up to the end of the sample) ?

what do you think. Should we make a request for OS 2.x,, knowing they will ignore us since a decade ?

But beside this, a lovely sounding machine.
analogaddict

Re: Using the FA as Midi master

Post by analogaddict »

bennyseven wrote: - Sampling section has no option for one shot samples (once triggered, playing up to the end of the sample) ?
You can do that in the sample edit window. I use this for backtracks. :-)
geeman

Post by geeman »

analogaddict wrote:
bennyseven wrote: - Sampling section has no option for one shot samples (once triggered, playing up to the end of the sample) ?
Thanks, analogaddict! I wondered what that 'gate' function was for. Looks like the 'One Shot' cited by the original question is the equivalent of the FA's 'Gate Off'.
Attachments
GateOff.JPG
GateOff.JPG (103.41 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
progferbrains

Post by progferbrains »

I am successfully using my FA-06 as a midi master however I can't really help with your program change problem as I NEVER use program changes for anything and haven't for 15 years. This is a bit unusual, but I HATE the slowness and glitchiness of patch changes, the way notes are cut off, effects tails are cut etc. Of course some devices are far better at it than others, but on the whole I prefer to use Instruments set to different MIDI channels, all ready and waiting... of course this means that you need to have a device where all sixteen midi channels are available on the press of a single button (thankfully this is possible on the FA and FG series though not, apparently the FX). Fewer and Fewer manufacturers are making controllers where all sixteen midi channels can be represented by a specific button which is making it hard to keep my system updated.

What I would give for an FA which had the pads in a more central position... like where the SCREEN is - the screen would be great on the right, and the pads in the middle would be so much more useful for me.. I have to do a ridiculous cross handed motion to change channel with my left hand!

Andy
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

You can do that in the sample edit window. I use this for backtracks. :-)[/quote]

Ah, that's great. Thank you. Reading manuals could be helpful..
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Hi analogaddict,

I tried this today with a backing sample, but it did not work.
Releasing the pad, the sample stops. Even from the sequencer I was not able to get it work.
I know it is very easy to set gate to "ON".

Anything else to do ?

THX,
bennyseven