Sync tone for Cars "Let's Go"

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Benjaminimus

Sync tone for Cars "Let's Go"

Post by Benjaminimus »

Trying to recreate the synth lead sync tone from the Cars' "Let's Go" and it seems it will take some tweaking of a preset on the FA. Has anyone attempted to create this sound, or does someone with a good ear have any thoughts on how to do so on the FA?
ChessMess

Re: Sync tone for Cars "Let's Go"

Post by ChessMess »

Ahh would love to know this as well! So many great Cars songs!
cello

Post by cello »

You could use this vid as a starting point :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fobASpQO ... ture=share
blong5150

Post by blong5150 »

Ummm.. that video is for "Cars" by Gary Numan
cello

Post by cello »

Oops

I actually meant to post this in another forum in answer to a similar question.

The dangers of getting old... lol

Ah, well - I'll leave it here just in case someone finds it useful!
ChessMess

Post by ChessMess »

Just ran across this:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthread ... ost2593073

Note the reply by J Dan
I only mention because when I attacked the Cars Just what I needed, I always had it in my mind that it was a square. When I first set it up and started playing with it, it obviously wasnt right. I played with filter and pulsewidth, and ultimately ended up switching to a triangle and adjusting from there. This sounds similar to me. I used the MS-20 engine in the Kronos and nailed it.
Might be helpful as we try to figure this one out.
ChessMess

Post by ChessMess »

Well spent a bit of time trying to make this and failed. I know that there is no 'Hard Sync' in the FA but someone posted that waveshaping would work. Problem is I have no idea how to do 'waveshaping' (this is my first synth keyboard and my first attempt ever editing sounds, but I've been studying the basics via video on youtube).

While I couldn't create it directly I did manage to take preset 1045 Hover Drive 1 and drop the Pitch Envelope Attack Times down to 0 for all three OSC and it sounded like a Hard Sync effect. But I couldn't manage to do anything else to get the sound closer to the Lets Go synth lead.
ChessMess

Post by ChessMess »

from the Roland FA-06 & FA-08 group on Facebook:
Brian Long wrote:OK - I pulled this off and I'll post a video tomorrow but I need some quick advice on what I did wrong. Basically, for the sync lead, I created a tone using PCM Wave 47 on 2 oscillators and added some chorus. It sounds spot-on. However - I can't get the volume out of it to match the other parts. It needs to be about 25% louder. It looks like I have it maxed out everywhere I can find.

Here you go Ben Lichtman! I included all 3 parts to the song. I'm still not 100% happy with the sync lead but it's close:
http://youtu.be/q-kPJzi0gQY