Sample (Pad) Memory Size?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
wd8dkyy

Sample (Pad) Memory Size?

Post by wd8dkyy »

Hi. Do we know how large the sample memory is that is used by the pads? I've scoured the manuals for this spec, and either I'm a complete dolt (likely), or it isn't listed.

Thank you.
Cenobite

Re: Sample (Pad) Memory Size?

Post by Cenobite »

I think sample memory is dependent on the size of the SD card that you use.
geeman

Post by geeman »

Cenobite wrote:I think sample memory is dependent on the size of the SD card that you use.
Yeah, that sounds right, as the samples are read directly from the SD card, (I believe), as opposed from being loaded in FA's memory.
Have been using the FA's pads as a voice recorder lately for some long recordings. Discovered by messing around, that the FA's Sound Mod Knobs #1 and #2 are great for quickly moving around large files. That is when using the Pad Utility / Sample Edit mode.

Also, pleased to find that using my FA as an audio interface via USB to record into Audacity worked well. However, I couldn't find how to reverse that process: I mean to download Audacity loops into the FA's sample pads via USB. Is that possible? Couldn't find the correct DAW Settings, maybe? Thanks if you can help on this.
wd8dkyy

Post by wd8dkyy »

Thank you!

I don't have my FA yet (shipping tomorrow), so I can't help with the DAW question yet. Hopefully someone else will chime in for you.

All the best,

Paul
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

geeman wrote:
Cenobite wrote:I think sample memory is dependent on the size of the SD card that you use.
Yeah, that sounds right, as the samples are read directly from the SD card, (I believe), as opposed from being loaded in FA's memory.
Have been using the FA's pads as a voice recorder lately for some long recordings. Discovered by messing around, that the FA's Sound Mod Knobs #1 and #2 are great for quickly moving around large files. That is when using the Pad Utility / Sample Edit mode.

Also, pleased to find that using my FA as an audio interface via USB to record into Audacity worked well. However, I couldn't find how to reverse that process: I mean to download Audacity loops into the FA's sample pads via USB. Is that possible? Couldn't find the correct DAW Settings, maybe? Thanks if you can help on this.
Correct, the sample memory is dependant on the SD card size (a 4Gb SD card is supplied as default)

Regarding the loading of Audio samples from Audacity to the Sampler (Pads as you call it) is only possible by copying them over the SD card on the on the computer, as as far as I know there is no way to do it via USB.

The USB interface is only for Audio and Midi, not for data transfer.
geeman

Post by geeman »

PauloF wrote:
geeman wrote:

Correct, the sample memory is dependant on the SD card size (a 4Gb SD card is supplied as default)

Regarding the loading of Audio samples from Audacity to the Sampler (Pads as you call it) is only possible by copying them over the SD card on the on the computer, as as far as I know there is no way to do it via USB.

The USB interface is only for Audio and Midi, not for data transfer.
Thanks for your clarifications.
atrin

Post by atrin »

hi:
as you know the samples have different tempo, chord,...
now when we set samples in pads can fa-06 change it or all of samples had same tempo,chord,...
if yes how?
thank you
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

atrin wrote:hi:
now when we set samples in pads can fa-06 change it or all of samples had same tempo,chord,...
if yes how?
thank you
Yes, the tempo can be changed

EDITED: Sorry about giving you a wrong information on this...it seems that the Sample tempo can't be changed at all...
Mailman11

Post by Mailman11 »

PauloF wrote:
if yes how?
thank you

The tempo of the samples cannot be changed in the fa
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

It is possible to 'resample' your Audacity loops. In Audacity in the device setting you choose the output device "OUT (FA-06 08)". Now go to sampling section on the FA, Sampling Mode "INPUT", Autotrigger ON. Press play on Audacity and FA will sample the Audacity output. Maybe you have to truncate a little bit afterwards.
Import over SD card might be the better option.

Playing around with this, I found out that the FA is constantly routing the USB audio input to the MAIN out.
atrin

Post by atrin »

Mailman11 wrote:
PauloF wrote:
if yes how?
thank you

The tempo of the samples cannot be changed in the fa

i confounded
geeman

Post by geeman »

bennyseven wrote:
It is possible to 'resample' your Audacity loops. In Audacity in the device setting you choose the output device "OUT (FA-06 08)". Now go to sampling section on the FA, Sampling Mode "INPUT", Autotrigger ON. Press play on Audacity and FA will sample the Audacity output. Maybe you have to truncate a little bit afterwards.
Import over SD card might be the better option.

Playing around with this, I found out that the FA is constantly routing the USB audio input to the MAIN out.
Thanks Bennyseven, for your help. I can now enjoy an alternative way of outputting Audacity loops directly into the FA's sampler via USB. This method suits me nicely, because no need to keep removing the SD card. Cheers.