FA 06 User Scales

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
RamiK

FA 06 User Scales

Post by RamiK »

Gents

I'm considering to buy the FA06 and I've been trying to find how create/apply user scale to the tracks in the different operation modes, also, how many user scales can I store and recall, for example, KROME has 16 user scales which you previously create and later apply them to whatever track/timber you need.

I read the manuals but couldn't notice any details regarding this subject, having user scale is a MUST for me, so I appreciate you help regarding this issue.

Thanks in advance and best regards
Rami
mixalis

Re: FA 06 User Scales

Post by mixalis »

Hi Ramik.... Fa can do that as well....They have pleanty of scales inside and you can create your own as well..

I am very interested to know how you use that if you dont mind... ( the only thing i am not sure is if you can create 16 user scales or just one... I can tell you that the day after tommorow for sure if nobody else answers)
RamiK

Post by RamiK »

Thanks mixalis

I use the user scales when I perform live and when doing some sequencing, I play music from different genres: occidental and oriental( Arabic, Armenian, some Turkish). The Arabic and Turkish do use different scales, each of which may have more than tens of scales, Im not saying I do play all of them but still use some.

Also some time it is required to change the scale during live performance, currently Im using Korg Pa600qt, it is an arranger, if you see it you'll find the scale buttons on board(the perfect solution ).

The reason why I choosed fa06 is because I saw that neither KROME nor MOXF meet my essential needs; however, both are very good workstations, in short:

1-The krone was my first choice because I like Korg software structure and im very familiar with it, but it doesn't have User PCM.

2- MOXF does not have user scale; however, it has the best arpeggiator among the three.

3-the fa06 has user PCM memory, but from what I can see is that I can run the drum truck and ONLY one arpeggiator (is this correct????). Nevertheless, if it has a good user scale utility then I'll go with it.

Regards
mixalis

Post by mixalis »

I see...... I agree with you about the fa... And there is only one arp thats correct... (at least for now)
BuddhaPhi

Post by BuddhaPhi »

mixalis wrote:Hi Ramik.... Fa can do that as well....They have pleanty of scales inside and you can create your own as well..

I am very interested to know how you use that if you dont mind... ( the only thing i am not sure is if you can create 16 user scales or just one... I can tell you that the day after tommorow for sure if nobody else answers)
The FA does have a custom scale tuning mode accessible in the "Part View" settings (along with 8 preset tunings). Any of the 16 parts in a Studio Set can have different microtunings per scale note. There's no way to save a particular tuning apart from saving the whole Studio Set. You can't save "User Tuning 1" and load it up but you can tune a part and save the entire Set with it. You also can't save a tone separately with the tuning along with it. Tunings are tied to the Set.
BuddhaPhi

Post by BuddhaPhi »

mixalis wrote:Hi Ramik.... Fa can do that as well....They have pleanty of scales inside and you can create your own as well..

The FA does have a custom scale tuning mode accessible in the "Part View" settings (along with 8 preset tunings). Any of the 16 parts in a Studio Set can have different microtunings per scale note. There's no way to save a particular tuning apart from saving the whole Studio Set. You can't save "User Tuning 1" and load it up but you can tune a part and save the entire Set with it. You also can't save a tone separately with the tuning along with it. Tunings are tied to the Set.
RamiK

Post by RamiK »

Gents

thanks a lot for your help with this , it is appreciated, based on the information you've provided I can say that the FA User Scale utility will work for me; however, it seems that I didn't understand the FA user PCM expansion utility well; my understanding was that it is possible to load user samples(i.e. samples created by third party or by my self other than packs provided by Roland) just like my korg pa600qt and other roland workstations like Fantom X and Fantom G, but now from what I can see it is only the expansions provided by Roland are the ones which can be loaded to the user memory. if my understanding is correct then this will negatively affect my decision to buy the FA, that is because from my experience with oriental music, it is always the third parties who provide the best resources. manufacturers can try but it is only the very musician who play the music are proficiently capable of meeting their own needs regarding sounds.

so again respectfully, I will need your help regarding this issue. can I load third party samples to the USER PCM Memory or not??

thank you in advance, regards
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

RamiK wrote:…can I load third party samples to the USER PCM Memory or not??
Not.
RamiK

Post by RamiK »

too bad, less flexibility with samples, ONE arpeggiator, limited sampler functionality and limited user drum patterns. I'm thinking this workstation does not meet my requirement. I'll probably start to consider either the Fantom X or Triton and probably triton since it is more popular among oriental musicians, however one drawback that the user samples are to be loaded manually each time the device is started up, whereas fantom x can load them automatically on startup from the flash......no solution is perfect..... LOL

anyhow, thank you all again for sharing your knowledge and helping me to get better idea about the FA.
best regards for all
RamiK