Sampler limitations

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
BuddhaPhi

Sampler limitations

Post by BuddhaPhi »

I purchased an FA-06 due to a combination of the Integra 7 sounds and the integrated sampler. I'm rather disappointed in the sampler features. It's not even remotely as good as the Roland SP-404SX in most ways. I still (mostly) like the workstation overall but the sampler leaves me wanting.

Here are some limitations of the FA sampler in case anyone is wondering:
  • No playing a single sample pitched across multiple keys
    No sample MFX
    No resampling of the sampler (aka no way to resample an existing sample with FX to a new pad)
    No sampling for xx beats/bars or xx seconds
    Limit of 4 samples played simultaneously
    No reverb/chorus/delay sends for samples (though can sample mic with permanent reverb or delay)
    TFX can be applied to samples but this is applied globally
    No sample envelopes
    No sample panning
    No sample filter
    No sample realtime controls
    Minimal sample editing (Only start, end, truncate, gate on/off, loop on/off and a few others)
    No sample normalize
    No sub-folders when importing user samples. Limited to the IMPORT folder.
    Limit of 300 files in the IMPORT folder
    No preview of samples before importing
    (Added) Unable to export a sequenced sample track "stem" or as part of the full mix. This means there's no way currently to get a sampled track file out of the FA without soloing it and recording it directly into a DAW.
If there are any corrections to this list, let me know. I'm definitely no expert. This is just what I know so far. There may be some tricks I missed.

The workaround for many of these issues is to sample, export to wav, edit on the computer and re-import the edited sample. That's unfortunate. I really hope that there's a major update to enhance the sampling capabilities but I won't hold my breath. I knew there were limitations when I bought it. I just didn't realize that some basic features were lacking. I figured I'd give it a few months before deciding whether to keep or sell.

*EDIT: Typos
**EDIT 2: Additional limitation added
jimmyfontana

Re: Sampler limitations

Post by jimmyfontana »

Can the sampler be routed to the sub outs and then use a cable to connect to inputs and resample with fx?
BuddhaPhi

Post by BuddhaPhi »

jimmyfontana wrote:Can the sampler be routed to the sub outs and then use a cable to connect to inputs and resample with fx?

The Sample Output can be routed to the Sub out. There are a couple of problems though:

1. You can't trigger a sample while you're sampling. I suppose I could try sequencing and sampling the sequence.
2. Even if you could sample it the only FX you can apply permanently are reverb or delay via the Mic input settings. That's a limitation of the sampler as a whole. No MFX or insert FX can be added to samples.
geeman

Post by geeman »

BuddhaPhi wrote:I purchased an FA-06 due to a combination of the Integra 7 sounds and the integrated sampler. I'm rather disappointed in the sampler features. It's not even remotely as good as the Roland SP-404SX in most ways. I still (mostly) like the workstation overall but the sampler leaves me wanting.

No sample MFX
    No resampling of the sampler (aka no way to resample an existing sample with FX to a new pad)
    No reverb/chorus/delay sends for samples (though can sample mic with permanent reverb or delay)
    No sample envelopes
    No sample panning
    No sample filter
    Minimal sample editing (Only start, end, truncate, gate on/off, loop on/off and a few others)
    No sample normalize
If there are any corrections to this list, let me know. I'm definitely no expert. This is just what I know so far. There may be some tricks I missed.

The workaround for many of these issues is to sample, export to wav, edit on the computer and re-import the edited sample. That's unfortunate. I really hope that there's a major update to enhance the sampling capabilities but I won't hold my breath. I knew there were limitations when I bought it. I just didn't realize that some basic features were lacking. I figured I'd give it a few months before deciding whether to keep or sell.

Hi, BuddhaPhi and all,

This is my personal opinion - not a criticism of the Roland FA:

The FA delivers a load of great sounds. Love the friendly sequencer and the many features and the price is very reasonable for a super lightweight instrument; and it is one good-looking synth. But, for my humble, home-based composition needs, I think the shortcomings of the sampler is a major distraction.

Tried linking to Audacity for resampling, short vocal harmonies, effects, etc, then reloading samples back in. But Phew!, there goes the original inspiration and speedy workflow!

As I wrote in an earlier thread, the absence of velocity sensitivity of FA's pads proved no problem, found a cheap workaround: just hooked up a tiny Aruturia controller.

So for me, the overriding disappointment (might I say, 'ambush'? :-), was the discovery of the FA's inability to make a new samples whilst the previous samples are playing. (Can't listen to previous samples whilst making a new one).

It is that lack of overdubbing of sampling (duplex / sound-on-sound, whatever the terminology), makes it a less-attractive option for a songwriter tool. Because (personal opinion again), it is the ability to 'resample' or mix rapidly mix down samples that can lead to something original and worthy of development.

Okay, I realise that, given the price of the FA, one might expect to pay a 'lot' more for a fully-functioning equivalent, incorporating a sampler with keyboard and pads, either synth or arranger keyboard.

Not too familiar with other models, but does the 'Tyros' or any other model, deliver what the FA does plus comprehensive sampling?

Left it too late for returning it, but, on the brighter side given the price paid, no great loss if I were to sell it and move on. So no rush, as I consider alternatives, maybe adding a S/H Akai MPC.

But the DAW way is not my way, thank-you.

cheers for reading.
atrin

Post by atrin »

geeman:
"Not too familiar with other models, but does the 'Tyros' or any other model, deliver what the FA does plus comprehensive sampling?"

tyros is an professional arranger and fa-06 is workstation we cannot compare them
atrin

Post by atrin »

BuddhaPhi wrote:I purchased an FA-06 due to a combination of the Integra 7 sounds and the integrated sampler. I'm rather disappointed in the sampler features. It's not even remotely as good as the Roland SP-404SX in most ways. I still (mostly) like the workstation overall but the sampler leaves me wanting.

No sample MFX
    No sample envelopes
    No sample panning
    No sample filter
    No sample normalize
    (Added) Unable to export a sequenced sample track "stem" or as part of the full mix. This means there's no way currently to get a sampled track file out of the FA without soloing it and recording it directly into a DAW.

**EDIT 2: Additional limitation added

thank you for information because sampler function was important for me
geeman

Post by geeman »

atrin wrote:geeman:
"Not too familiar with other models, but does the 'Tyros' or any other model, deliver what the FA does plus comprehensive sampling?"

tyros is an professional arranger and fa-06 is workstation we cannot compare them
Greetings atrin,

LOL: Who is this collective 'we' in your peremptory 'cannot'? :-)

... Ah, we now see the cause of our confusion: Yamaha also describes their Tyros as a "digital workstation".

best regards
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Hello there,
I think that WE could not compare. Tyros here in Germany is about 4000+ Euro.
Roland gives us a sampling unit, which is named as SP404 in the catalog as a kind of DJ EQUIPMENT.
It is for fire-ing samples. This is no meaning compared to 'sampling keyboards' like the Fantom.
BuddhaPhi

Post by BuddhaPhi »

bennyseven wrote:Hello there,
Roland gives us a sampling unit, which is named as SP404 in the catalog as a kind of DJ EQUIPMENT.
It is for fire-ing samples. This is no meaning compared to 'sampling keyboards' like the Fantom.
I don't think anyone expects to have the equivalent of a Tyros at less than one third the cost. My own personal criticism of the sampler in the FA series comes more from comparing it to other lower cost samplers like the SP-404SX itself or even the Korg MicroSAMPLER. While these also have their limitations also both of these offer A LOT more basic features if you don't mind triggering another device.
geeman

Post by geeman »

BuddhaPhi wrote:
bennyseven wrote:Hello there,
I don't think anyone expects to have the equivalent of a Tyros at less than one third the cost. My own personal criticism of the sampler in the FA series comes more from comparing it to other lower cost samplers like the SP-404SX itself or even the Korg MicroSAMPLER. While these also have their limitations also both of these offer A LOT more basic features if you don't mind triggering another device.
Greetings,

Good posts, thanks. This is useful information for anyone who is relatively new to incorporating samples with MDI sequences.

Using the FA's sample pads has certainly whetted one's appetite for the possibility of using integrated samples - regardless of how those samples might be achieved.

Cheers, everyone.
jimmyfontana

Post by jimmyfontana »

Can somebody confirm if you can record from the audio input during the playback of a whole song (while listening to the internal fa engine) and then trigger the sample along the song like if it was an audio track (with it's limitations, obviously)?
geeman

Post by geeman »

jimmyfontana wrote:Can somebody confirm if you can record from the audio input during the playback of a whole song (while listening to the internal fa engine) and then trigger the sample along the song like if it was an audio track (with it's limitations, obviously)?
Hi there,
In the FA's song play mode, when a recorded song is playing, pressing the red Record button does not work with incoming audio from external source. (Maybe you already know that, but I'll leave it in for anyone who doesn't know). :-)

Yes, whilst your song is already playing, you can still record a Sample pad from the incoming audio input from your external source. I used the pad record setting choosing INPUT rather than Keyboard AND Input.

Then I used that fresh sample pad (recorded from my external source), to punch-in bits into the song whilst in Record mode. Just tried this method. It worked okay, but a bit messy for my limited way of working. However, am still learning.
jimmyfontana

Post by jimmyfontana »

Thanks geeman.