Purchase advice: Roland Fa-06 for play samples

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
wav

Purchase advice: Roland Fa-06 for play samples

Post by wav »

Hy all,
I'm just a beginner, sorry for my bad Keyboards knowledge.

I'm looking for a keyboard that works like a sampler, something similar to a roland sp 404. I basically need it for playing live kontakt instruments/samples (.wav), without go through the PC.
I just found out about the FA-06/08, I wonder if this workstation can do what i'm looking for. Do imported sounds work only with the pad or I can use the full keyboard as a sampler? Is it a hard process to map the samples to all the keyboard keys?
Can Juno-G/Gi/Di and Fantom-X do the same thing? Which one is better then?
fuxoft

Re: Purchase advice: Roland Fa-06 for play samples

Post by fuxoft »

One FA song can have up to 64 CD-quality stereo samples of any length (whatever fits on the SD card). These samples can be imported rather easily (as a batch) and then played from keyboard or from the sample pad. The samples are always mapped so that sample #1 is on the lowest C key (on FA 06) and the remaining 63 go up from there, each one by a single semitone. You cannot change this mapping. For example, the lowest E key always plays the sample from sample pad #5.

Playing samples from the keyboard is velocity sensitive (the sample pads are NOT velocity sensitive).

You can also apply global effect to samples played in such way. You can select which sample pads / keys are affected by the selected global effect and which aren't (but all the samples must have the same effect type).

Note that you can only use one such sampleset at a time. If you want to load different set of samples, you must load another song which takes several seconds.

It's also important to note that FA cannot change the pitch / speed of played samples. If you want different pitches of a single sample for different keys, you have to prepare these different samples in advance, on your PC.
wav

Post by wav »

Thanks fuxoft!

It's full polyphonic with samples, right?

The FA looks great to me, the 404sx implementation with the effects as well make this keyboard exactly like what I'm looking for. It's also cheaper then a Fantom-G, however it's new so it still in the 1000$ range.
I don't care much about the FA sounds. Do you think it's worth it just for play sample? Any cheaper alternatives? What's the deal over a Juno-Gi or a Fantom-X, Do they play samples in the same way?
fuxoft

Post by fuxoft »

wav wrote:It's full polyphonic with samples, right?
I forgot to mention this important point. It's NOT fully polyphonic with samples! FA can only play a maximum of 4 samples total at any given time. If you are looking for a machine primarily to play samples, I think FA is not the ideal thing. I use its great synth sounds (also making my own) and only little bit of samples here and there.
wav

Post by wav »

:(