Vocoder?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
PauloF

Re: Vocoder?

Post by PauloF »

misuspita wrote:Hello fellow rollanders. I have a Fantom G but the prospect of having fast load times, new memory type (SD card, hallelujah) and low weight makes me want a brand new FA 06. Oh and better organs. As I recently started a new band, I am in need of a vocoder effect, and was wondering if the FA can have live some approximation of, or the real deal of vocoding. Thanks in advance.
Hi misuspita
The FA do have Vocoder capabilities yes, although in order to give you a straight answer on how it behaves, features, settings, possibilities, it would be better for a FA owner to give his/her opinion.

cheers,
dan88z

Post by dan88z »

I have several vocoder sounds programmed in my FA. A robot type, and 2 different ones I use for choir effects. Very easy to use and modify parameters.
mixalis

Post by mixalis »

.........I had almost forgotten that Fa suppors Vocoder...I will test it and reply to you tommorow!
mixalis

Post by mixalis »

As far as i can see there is nothing special or complicated on the vocoder...You can only control how loud or not your voice will be and how much vocoder effect will be aplied to the sound..

I have a ultranova and the Vocoder is so much better...In terms of what you can do with it.. But still the FA sounds good for some reason..
mixalis

Post by mixalis »

In other words if you need a strong Vocoder dont buy the Fa
Cyrano

Post by Cyrano »

dan88z wrote:I have several vocoder sounds programmed in my FA. A robot type, and 2 different ones I use for choir effects. Very easy to use and modify parameters.
Could you please elaborate on the choir topic? What is really doable? Does it work like an harmonizer?
DNGmaestro

Post by DNGmaestro »

misuspita wrote:Thanks for the reply Paulo, I am looking for a , let's say 2pac - California Love type of effect. Is that doable? Thanks
Just to let you know, On California Love it's not a vocoder being used. It's a talkbox.
JFP

Post by JFP »

Uhm.. been playing around with the vocoder a bit more , but...is there an 'auto' mode ? Meaning I can use both hands to play another instrument , but still have the vocoder sounding in some way ? Now you must (!) play the keyboard before you get any sound out of it. I know the VP7 and VP770 have an auto-mode. Wonder if it made it into the FA. If not : feature request !!
andyr1960

Post by andyr1960 »

JFP wrote:Uhm.. been playing around with the vocoder a bit more , but...is there an 'auto' mode ? Meaning I can use both hands to play another instrument , but still have the vocoder sounding in some way ? Now you must (!) play the keyboard before you get any sound out of it. I know the VP7 and VP770 have an auto-mode. Wonder if it made it into the FA. If not : feature request !!
The Vocoder uses the internal FA06's sound engine as the carrier signal (don't forget you can change the carrier preset to something with more harmonics). Obviously the mic is using the external audio in so there's no way to use another keyboard as the carrier, so, yes you *have* to use the FA06's keyboard.

FWIW... To my ears the Vocoder sounds better than the one in the Boss SE70 I've been using for the past umpteen years, despite the lack of control - very easy to record quick clips into the sampler too.
xenobii2k

Post by xenobii2k »

misuspita wrote: 22:08, 27 May 2014 Thanks for the reply Paulo, I am looking for a , let's say 2pac - California Love type of effect. Is that doable? Thanks
I just saw someone let you know it is a talkbox sound that you are looking for. You need a synth that can output a saw wave and you HAVE to play the keyboard for it to work. Your voice modulates the synth sound with your characteristics, but if you dont press a key, there is no initial sound.

The same is true for vocoders. You can go to ebay and buy a talkbox for about $99, and connect it to the FA. The sound of a talkbox comes out of the tube you put in your mouth. You shape the sound just by moving your mouth. No pressure necessary like with a vocoder.

I hope this has helped you, and I know this came very late in the future, but better late than never.