FA06/08 for blind users

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
arfy

FA06/08 for blind users

Post by arfy »

Hi,

Just wondering how the FA06/08 would be for a blind user, in terms of navigating the menus, and the pannel layout?

I have a juno-g at the moment, and find it pretty easy to use, though when I feel like making patches, I use a pc editor that's been designed with the blind in mind. Really surprised there's no pc editor at all for the FA, not even some sort of iPad app, given the integra-7.

Would someone here be able to give me an idea of how the FA's layed out on the front pannel in particular? Something like this.

Above the mod-wheel and to the right is the d-beam controler, below this are a set of three buttons 2 in arow, and one below this. the top row is solo synth... etc. just moving across the keyboard.

thanks!
geeman

Re: FA06/08 for blind users

Post by geeman »

arfy wrote:Hi,

Just wondering how the FA06/08 would be for a blind user, in terms of navigating the menus, and the pannel layout?

I have a juno-g at the moment, and find it pretty easy to use, though when I feel like making patches, I use a pc editor that's been designed with the blind in mind. Really surprised there's no pc editor at all for the FA, not even some sort of iPad app, given the integra-7.

Would someone here be able to give me an idea of how the FA's layed out on the front pannel in particular? Something like this.

Above the mod-wheel and to the right is the d-beam controler, below this are a set of three buttons 2 in arow, and one below this. the top row is solo synth... etc. just moving across the keyboard.

thanks!
Howdy Arfy,

I wonder if this might help, using my FA-06 as a guide.

1. On the extreme left of the synth is a rectangular section measuring five inches wide and eleven inches deep. This section has a matt texture, as opposed to the high-gloss texture in other parts of the synth.

This extreme left section contains the pitch modulation lever and two click buttons. The pitch-bend lever is centred on that extreme left section, and is located about two inches from the front.

One inch above the pitch-bend lever, and offset to the left, are a pair of rectangular click buttons, side-by-side, each click button is about a half of an inch by one eight of an inch. These buttons control how the pitch-bend behaves, I think.

Roughly two inches above those two click buttons is a shallow, recessed, rectangular space measuring about three inches across by five inches. This indented space has a slight concave contour, and bears the name Roland FA-06 over a high gloss surface. Since this recess serves no purpose other than displaying the name of the synth, I have used that shallow recess to rest my phone or voice recorder. Not to scratch my FA, I used a slice of hot-water bottle cut to fit.

2. The rest of the FA-06 controls are divided into three discreet, rectangular sections, as follows:

On the left is the Sound Modify section, measuring roughly nine inches across and five inches deep. In the centre is the Main Controls section, measuring roughly eleven inches by five inches deep. And the section on the right contains Arp and Rhythms, plus Sequencer, plus all the Sample Pads and their controller pads. This section measures roughly twelve inches by five deep.

All these three sections are divided by a raised vertical border of approximately a quarter of an inch wide. These raised borders are of a matt finish, contrasted to the high-gloss finish of the three main sections.

3. The Sound Modify Section (on the left).
Top left of this section is the small, one-inch, convex D-Beam sensor. One inch and a half below that, nearest you, are a set of three click buttons that modify the D-Beam. These three buttons are, from the left: the Solo Synth, the Expression, and the Assignable.

At the top of this section, approximately one inch down, is a row of six, cylindrical sound modify knobs. These knobs are firm, about a half inch high, and have soft rubber grips. These numbered knobs are not clicky. These knobs all span from the extreme left to the extreme right with a dead stop. And no click at the half-way stage.

Below these knobs is written the various functions that all the six knobs can produce. That is, four rows of six functions.

Approximately two inches below the first of those knobs, (Knob number 1), is the small click SELECT button, which assigns different effects to the knobs.

Directly below that SELECT button, (toward you), about one inch below, is the DAW CONTROL click selector button.

Moving half an inch to the right of that DAW button switch, are a pair of click selector buttons, which are SPLIT and then DUAL. This pair of buttons have the dual purpose of switching to a Studio Set when pressed at the same time.

Moving again to the right of the above, there is a set of three click button switches, which are: Transpose, Octave Down, and Octave Up.

Whoops! Don't forget the VOLUME knob at the bottom left of this section. Like the Sound Mod' knobs as described above, this is a hard left to minimal and hard right to full volume, but with no little click at the half-way stage.
to be continued...
arfy

Post by arfy »

hi,
thanks a lot! So far, that's perfect. I'm pretty sure the buttons just above the pitch/mod lever are the s1 and s2 buttons, FYI.

thanks,
Arthur
geeman

Post by geeman »

arfy wrote:hi,
thanks a lot! So far, that's perfect. I'm pretty sure the buttons just above the pitch/mod lever are the s1 and s2 buttons, FYI.

thanks,
Arthur
Cheers, Arthur. You're right, those two buttons are S1 and S2 buttons. Here comes the next instalment:

We now come to the centre section of three main partitions of the controls of the FA-06. This middle partition measures eleven and a quarter inches wide and five inches deep. This partition houses the display screen, the value selector Dial, and various other buttons which I list later.

The display screen of this centre section measures four and a half inches wide by two and a half inches deep. The display screen is not central of this partition, but is offset to the left. Sliding my finger across the screen, there is no tactile indication as to where the screen begins or ends, like all one piece of glass.

As one sits in the playing position, there is to be found, roughly three-quarters of an inch from the bottom of the centre section, a horizontal row of ten click button switches, side-by-side.

These ten button switches are of uniform size of approximately three quarters of an inch across by one eighth of an inch deep. The total measurement of these ten click switches combined is approximately eight inches across.

Directly below the row of ten click buttons are the button numbers, from zero through to nine. These are the numbers of selections or favourite banks, I think.

Directly above the ten click buttons are the names of the selections of each button, as follows:
Button Zero: Drums and Percussion. Button One: A.Piano and E.Piano Button Two: Keyboard and Organ Button Three: Bass and Synth Bass. Button Four: Guitar and Plucked. Button Five: Strings and/ Orchestra. Button Six: Brass and Wind. Button Seven: Vocal and Choir. Button Eight: Synth and Pad. Button Nine: FX and Other.

Directly above Button Zero (of the row of ten click buttons), are three other click buttons arranged vertically with roughly three quarters of an inch space between. The one directly above Button Zero (Drums and Percussion button), is the BANK button.

Directly above the BANK button, is the FAVOURITE button. And directly above that button, is the PREVIEW button.

Roughly two inches above Button number Nine (of the row of ten click buttons), is the circular selector dial. The dial is about one and a half inches in diameter and is a continuous dial, having no dead stops.

The surface of the dial is edged with thin plastic fins pointing outward from the centre, to facilitate grip. The dial has incremental clicks. Turning it swiftly sounds like sweeping a fingernail down a plastic comb.

At the right side of the central section is an arrangement of eleven click buttons, which I will now describe beginning from the bottom edge (nearest to yourself).

On a horizontal line from the row of the ten selection buttons that I described above, is a set of three click buttons. These three click buttons are arranged side-to-side again, and are as follows:

(a) The SHIFT button (b) The EXIT button (c) The ENTER button.

About an inch directly above those three click buttons is another set of three click buttons, again side-to-side, and these click buttons are as follows: (a) The LEFT arrow. The DOWN arrow, and the RIGHT arrow.

About an inch above those, is another set of three click buttons, side-by-side, and named as follows:

(a) DEC, (shortened version of DECREASE. (b) the UP arrow. (c) the INC, which is the short version of INCREASE, (hopefully).

And directly above those buttons are another two click buttons, with a small space between. Those two click buttons are the MENU and the WRITE buttons.

We now move to the right hand side section of the three 'partitions' I described earlier. This right-hand section houses the sixteen sample pads, plus five sample pad controller pads, the Sequencer, the ARP and Rhythms, and the Tempo knob and the Tap Tempo click button.

From the nearest (nearest to you), at the left-hand corner of this section is found the TAP TEMPO click button. It is a half an inch from the lower edge and half an inch from the left-hand edge.

About one inch above that TAP TEMPO button is the TEMP0 knob. This knob is of the same type of knob as the Sound Modify knobs and VOLUME knob. It is firm to turn, but no clicks. Turning it all the way to the left reaches a full stop, and a right turn goes to a full stop again. As with the other knobs, there is no half-way click.

About two inches above that TEMPO knob is a set of three click buttons, side-by-side. These are as follows:
(a) ARPEGGIO (b) CHORD MEMORY and (c) RHYTHM PATTERN.
Above these three click buttons is the words: ARP / RHYTHM.

Moving one inch to the right is another column of nine click buttons, these are the button of the sequencer. Starting at the top, one inch down from topmost edge, is the SEQUENCER click button.

Below that sequencer button are two other click buttons of (a) the SONG SELECT and (b) LOOP button. These two buttons are on a horizontal line but with about one inch space between them.

Below those buttons, is a set of three click buttons of the transport kind: as follows:
(a) a left arrow abutting a vertical line. (b) Two LEFT arrows. and (c) Two RIGHT arrows.

Below those buttons, is a set of three click buttons as follows:
(a) STOP click button, with the symbol of a solid rectangle above it.
(b) PLAY click button with the symbol of an RIGHT arrow above it.
(c) RECORD click button with a solid circle above it.

Please note that there is a tiny block of plastic which separates PLAY and RECORD click buttons as listed above. Feels like a head of a match. Presumably to stop fingers to slipping onto the wrong button when in creative frenzy. :-)

Now for the SAMPLE PADS situated at the right-hand side of this right-hand section.

The sixteen sample pads altogether form a square of pads, measuring three-and-a-half inches by three-and-a-half inches, separated by a narrow space between.

Starting from your playing position, the four bottom sample pads, (those nearest to you, horizontally), and PADS 1, 2, 3, and 4.
Above those, horizontally from left to right are pads 5, 6, 7, and 8.
Above those, horizontally from left to right are pads, 9, 10, 11. 12,
Above those, horizontally from left to right are pads 13, 14, 15, and 16.

Moving slightly left from SAMPLE PAD number one, there is gap of about a half an inch, and in-line with SAMPLE PAD number 1 is the HOLD controller pad. This HOLD pad is slightly smaller than the SAMPLE pads.

Directly above the HOLD pad, is the BANK pad. Which is smaller than the SAMPLE pads and is an oblong.

Directly above the BANK pad, is the CLIP BOARD pad, which is again an oblong pad.

Directly above the CLIP BOARD pad, is the SAMPLING pad, which is again an oblong pad.

Directly above the SAMPLING pad is the PAD UTILITY pad, which is again an oblong pad.
=================
And some other stuff if this can help:

The keyboard keys of the Roland FA-06 can be used to draw a vertical line to the following items:

1. F 1: points to the DAW button switch.
2. G 1: points to the Keyboard Split button switch.
3. A 1: points to the Keyboard Dual button switch.
4. G sharp 1: points to the Studio Set buttons switch.
5. B 1: points to the Transpose button switch.
6. C 2: points to the Octave Down button switch.
7. D 2: points to the Octave Up button switch.
8. F sharp 2: points to the DRUMS / PERCUSSION button switch.
9. G sharp 2: points to the PIANO / E PIANO button switch.
10. A 2: points to the KEYBOARD / ORGAN button switch.
11. B 2: points to the BASS / SYNTH button switch.
12. C 3: points to the GUITAR / PLUCKED button switch.
13. D 3: points to the STRINGS / ORCHESTRA button switch.
14. D sharp 3: points to the BRASS / WIND button switch.
15. F sharp 3: points to the SYNTH / PAD button switch.
16. G sharp 3: points to the FX / OTHER button switch.
17. B flat 3: points to the SHIFT button switch.
18. C sharp 4: points to the ENTER button switch.
19. F 4: points to the TAP tempo button switch.
20. A 4: points to the STOP button switch of the Sequencer / Player.
21. B 4: points to the PLAY button switch of the Sequencer / Player.
22. C 5: points to the RECORD button switch of the Sequencer.
23. E 5: points to the HOLD of the Sample Pads.
24. F sharp 5: points to SAMPLE PAD ONE.
25. G sharp 5: points to SAMPLE PAD TWO.
26. A sharp 5: points to SAMPLE PAD THREE.
27. C 6: points to SAMPLE PAD FOUR.
28. D 1: (late edit): points to the Volume Knob.
cheers :-)
arfy

Post by arfy »

@geeman.
Many thanks! That description allowed me to quickly demo the FA06 in a music store this past week, where i was able to figure out how to load each demo song, and audition the patches using the category buttons. I just have a couple of questions, about the menus and parameter screens.

1. In the main menu, that is, after pressing the menu button, or, for that matter, the write button, does the cursor always start at the top, and can the cursor be moved with the data dial, like on the juno-g?
2. do menus and parameter lists wrap? that is, if I navigate to the top or bottom of a menu or list with cursor keys or dial, will repeatedly pressing the key of the direction of travel go back around the menu? Or does it stop once at the ends.
3. Is there a master list of what the 0-9 buttons do in each screen, with and without the shift key? The manual is good about pointing these out when needed, but it would be nice if there was a quick reference of these.

thanks!
geeman

Post by geeman »

arfy wrote:@geeman.
Many thanks! That description allowed me to quickly demo the FA06 in a music store this past week, where i was able to figure out how to load each demo song, and audition the patches using the category buttons. I just have a couple of questions, about the menus and parameter screens.

1. In the main menu, that is, after pressing the menu button, or, for that matter, the write button, does the cursor always start at the top, and can the cursor be moved with the data dial, like on the juno-g?
2. do menus and parameter lists wrap? that is, if I navigate to the top or bottom of a menu or list with cursor keys or dial, will repeatedly pressing the key of the direction of travel go back around the menu? Or does it stop once at the ends.
3. Is there a master list of what the 0-9 buttons do in each screen, with and without the shift key? The manual is good about pointing these out when needed, but it would be nice if there was a quick reference of these.

thanks!
Hi again, Arthur,

Thanks for your good news about your experiences at the store demo.

In answer to your recent questions:

(Quote): "1. In the main menu, that is, after pressing the menu button, or, for that matter, the write button, does the cursor always start at the top, and can the cursor be moved with the data dial, like on the juno-g?" (unquote)

I think the short answer is Yes, although am not familiar with the juno-g, this FA being my first synth. Hope some other member will point out any glaring mistakes herein, with no offence to be taken. :-)

Navigating the Main Menu.

When first powering up my FA-06, the Main Menu cursor sits at the top left of the sub-menu column of items. After that first use of the main menu, the main menu cursor will remain on what sub-menu item where I left it. Later, if after selecting a new song or Studio Set or whatever, the main menu cursor will remain on that last-selected item of the main menu.

Let me expand on that if I may.

Speaking from own end (as it were), by pressing the menu button, I find a list of ten sub-menu choices, presented in two vertical columns. The Left hand column comprises seven items, which are, from top to bottom and using my own number system:

1. Tone Edit 2. Effects Edit 3. Part View 4. Studio Set Common 5. Studio Set Init 6. Tone List 7. Mixer.

And the remaining right-hand column of three items, reading them from top to bottom and using my own numbers are:

8. System 9. Utitlity 10. Wireless.

Note that sub-menu item of the top left column, which is 'Tone Edit', is in a horizontal line to the top item of the right column, which is 'System'.

Let's assume that in this instance, the main menu cursor is found at the top left column. Using the rotary dial, turning clockwise, the cursor flicks through the whole list, jumps from the bottom of the Left column, straight to the top of the Right column and carries down and comes to a dead stop at 'Wireless'.

Note that it is the cursor itself that reaches a dead stop, not the rotary dial. The rotary wheel in this case can be freely turned to no effect once the cursor is at its limit.

With the cursor at the bottom of the Right column, by turning the dial anticlockwise, the cursor will go through the Right column and jump to the bottom of the Left column and rise through all items to a dead stop at the top of the left column on the 'Tone Edit' item. Likewise, when that dead stop is reached at the top Left column, the dial may be spun on regardless with no effect after that dead stop is reached.

I emphasise here, two necessary items on this main menu. These are the sub-menu 'Select' button, to select or enter that sub-menu selection you chose, and the Cancel button. These two menu selection buttons are operated by two of those ten click Tone Bank button selectors at the bottom of the FA's central section.

The dividing crack between piano keys E3 and F3 points accurately a vertical line to that main menu Select button. If we were not in the main menu mode, this same Select button would otherwise be the Favourite Bank number seven and Vocal and Choir click button.

The piano key E Flat 3, points accurately to the sub-menu 'Cancel' button. If we were not in the main menu mode, this Cancel button would otherwise be the Favourite Bank number six, and the Brass and Wind selector button.

Using the Up and Down and Left and Right arrows to navigate the main menu.

Alternatively, using the Up and Down arrows with the Left and Right arrows does the same job as the rotary wheel, but with a more pronounced audible click.

Assume for the moment that the main menu cursor is found to be at the top left of the sub-menu items. Holding down the Down Arrow will quickly glide the cursor to the bottom of the left column of sub-menu choices, where it comes to a dead stop at the Mixer item. If one were to continue holding down or clicking down with the Down Arrow, nothing further would happen once the main menu cursor has reach the bottom of the column.

Slight difference here to using the rotary wheel: When using the Right arrow to move from the bottom of the Left column to the right, the cursor moves from the bottom of the Left column to the bottom item of the Right column, which is the sub-menu item: 'Wireless'.

The Up arrow will move the cursor upward to the remaining two items above; the top one of the column of three is the 'System'.

Using the Left and Right arrows, makes the cursor jump from the top of the left column to the top of the right column. Likewise, when the cursor is at the bottom of the left column, clicking the right arrow jumps the cursor to the bottom item of the right column which is the Wireless.

This is similar in operation to the Main Menu. The Write Menu page gives three options in a vertical column of three choices: Top item of the three is the Studio Set, then the Tone - Part 1, then the Song.
Using the rotary wheel moves the cursor up or down the three selections and the cursor comes to a dead stop at either top or bottom. The rotary wheel can still be turned after the dead stop is reached, but to no effect.

Likewise, using the Up and Down click buttons to navigate the three Write Menu items, the cursor comes to a dead stop at both top or bottom of the list, and clicking further will have no effect on the cursor.

At the bottom of the screen I find there are five Write Menu selectors buttons. From left to right, these are: Studio Set, Tone, Song, (with a short gap between) then the Cancel button and then the Select button.

1. The A2 piano key points directly to the Studio Set click button, which outside of the Write Menu, would otherwise be the button number three and Keyboard and Organ button of the sound bank buttons.

2. The B2 piano key points directly to the Tone button, which would otherwise be the Favourite Bank 3 and Bass and Synth Bass button.

3. The C3 piano key points directly to the Song button, which would otherwise be the Favourite Bank number four and Guitar and Plucked.

4. The E Flat piano key points directly to the Cancel button, which would otherwise be the Favourite Bank number six and Brass and Wind.

5. The dividing crack between piano keys E3 and F3 points directly to the Select button, which would otherwise be the Favourite Bank number seven and Vocal and Choir.

I can't find anything that resembles a Master List you referred to in 3rd part of your question. Have pressed keys with or without the Shift button which doesn't do anything useful. Maybe someone might know otherwise as I'm stuck on this one. :-)

Other than that, Arthur, always ready to help out with the simple stuff.
===========================
Here's some more detailed info' about the FA's six Sound Modification Knobs as referred to much earlier.

These are the six sound modification knobs found at the top of the left section of the FA. Each of the six knobs gives four separate effects, labelled vertically.

Knob 1: from the top down. (a) Cutoff. (b) EQ low. (c) Assign 1. (d) Compressor.
Knob 2. from the top down. (e) Resonance. ((f) EQ Mid 1. (g) Assign 2. (h) Tone.
Knob 3. from the top down. (i) Attack. (j) EQ Mid 2. (k) Assign 3. (l) Chorus.
Knob 4. from the top down. (m) Release. (n) EQ Mid 3. (o) Assign 4. (p) Reverb.
Knob 5. from the top down. (q) Pan. (r) EQ High. (s) Assign 5. (t) TFX Select.
Knob 6. from the top down. (u) Level. (v) Input Level. (w) Assign 6. (x) TFX Control.

(all bracketed alphabetic listings used above are my own).

Therefore, if I were to read the top line of Sound Modify Knob functions horizontally from left to right as with a book, it reads, Cutoff, Resonance, Attack, Release, Pan, and Level.

Or, to put another way, all the above functions are labelled in four vertical lines of six.
The bottom horizontal line of six functions is underlined, with the subtext: GLOBAL CONTROL. Which looks like only the bottom line are Global Controls. Reading the bottom line from left to right: Compressor, Tone, Chorus, Reverb, TFX Select, and TFX Control.

Roughly two inches below Knob 1, (nearer to you), is the Sound Modify Knob Selector click button.
The sole function of this click selector button is to select what horizontal level of each knob's four vertically listed options are made to each Sound Modify Knob. (If I were listening to me, I think I'd get confused here).

As I switch on my FA, the default setting for the Sound Knob Modify click button is to point at the top level of the four rows of six Knob functions. I would not need to click the Sound Modify Knob selector button to operate all six knobs at the top level.

So without touching the selector click button, all the six Sound Modify Knobs are ready to use for the top level, as follows: Knob 1 Cutoff, Knob 2, Resonance, Knob 3, Attack, Knob 4, Release, Knob 5, Pan and Knob 6, Level.

The selector button functions with single clicks and can't be held down, nor can it be used to move upwards. It can only be used to move down to next horizontal line of 6 functions.

When you reach the fourth, bottom level, clicking it once more goes back to the top.
I'll give a couple of examples as follows.

I want to select Compression from Knob 1, which is the bottom of the list of four possible options for Knob 1. I choose Compression because to my untrained ears, and especially with the Arpeggio button turned on, the Compression modification is unmistakeable.

Could be that selected the Compression might be a good homing point, should a person forget what horizontal level the Sound Modify Selector is pointing at.

A second example. I want the PAN effect of the Knob 5. Using my Compressor as a homing point, just a single click of the Selector button takes me back to the top row and PAN is ready to use at Knob 5.

cheers
arfy

Post by arfy »

@geeman.
Once again, that was brilliant! That was exactly what I needed to know, and it works identically to the juno, in terms of the way the dial works in the top level menus. Same with the sound modify knobs. Just one more question, then I'll be fully satisfied. Let's say I decide to select studio set common. I consult the parameter list guide, and it lists several options and tabs. Do these lower parameter screens off the main menus respond in a similar way to menus, accepting the data dial which will now set the parameter pointed to by the cursor? Also, are the order of parameters and tabs in the same order as listed in the parameter guide? Also, are these screens in columns? that could make things a little tricky to navigate, but I'd like to read your input to this one.

thanks, once again for all your help!
geeman

Post by geeman »

arfy wrote:@geeman.
Once again, that was brilliant! That was exactly what I needed to know, and it works identically to the juno, in terms of the way the dial works in the top level menus. Same with the sound modify knobs. Just one more question, then I'll be fully satisfied. Let's say I decide to select studio set common. I consult the parameter list guide, and it lists several options and tabs. Do these lower parameter screens off the main menus respond in a similar way to menus, accepting the data dial which will now set the parameter pointed to by the cursor? Also, are the order of parameters and tabs in the same order as listed in the parameter guide? Also, are these screens in columns? that could make things a little tricky to navigate, but I'd like to read your input to this one.

thanks, once again for all your help!
Hi again, Arfy,

Glad to be of help, sir - enjoyed it immensely.

I think your last question asks for a much bigger understanding of synths than my own novice one. Surface stuff, yes; under-the-hood stuff, no.

Not really a natural synth person, as it were. Still at the learner-driver stage after six months with this FA-06. :-) The only suggestion I might make would that some more-seasoned synth member could chip in with further advice on these advanced issues.

cheers and good wishes

cheers,
arfy

Post by arfy »

No worries, ah yes, I remember my early days of working with synths, I cut my teeth though on older software synths from yamaha, and only got my juno-g about 3 years ago. I'd love to help you get aquainted with the roland world, feel free to pm me if you need anymore help. What do you play musically?
geeman

Post by geeman »

arfy wrote:No worries, ah yes, I remember my early days of working with synths, I cut my teeth though on older software synths from yamaha, and only got my juno-g about 3 years ago. I'd love to help you get aquainted with the roland world, feel free to pm me if you need anymore help. What do you play musically?
Nice one, arfy, just pm'd you.

best regards
sklawlor

Post by sklawlor »

Hi there. I'd also like to thank you for the fantastic information regarding the physical layout of this synth. I'm planning to get the fa08 later this month and am also a blind user. I also had a question and it pertains to sequencing on the machine. For a blind person I wonder how difficult the sequencer is to get around? I'm not one who has a DAW on the pc, well, I could have reaper but the tower isn't ever in the same room as my keyboard so physical limitations preclude from setting this all up. I'd mainly be wanting to sequence parts, export the stems to flash drives and then mix on the pc, unless missing natively on the roland is also pretty easy. Thanks again for the great information, I'll have this topic with me when I have the unit so I can memorize all this.
geeman

Post by geeman »

sklawlor wrote:Hi there. I'd also like to thank you for the fantastic information regarding the physical layout of this synth. I'm planning to get the fa08 later this month and am also a blind user. I also had a question and it pertains to sequencing on the machine. For a blind person I wonder how difficult the sequencer is to get around? I'm not one who has a DAW on the pc, well, I could have reaper but the tower isn't ever in the same room as my keyboard so physical limitations preclude from setting this all up. I'd mainly be wanting to sequence parts, export the stems to flash drives and then mix on the pc, unless missing natively on the roland is also pretty easy. Thanks again for the great information, I'll have this topic with me when I have the unit so I can memorize all this.
Hi there, Sklawlor, and thanks for your thanks, matey. :-)
Sounds like you're on the path to a lovely new Roland FA.

I think you might be interested in the audio track of the following YouTube demo. It is a Roland FA tutorial on basic sequencing. The demo guy gives a pretty clear commentary as he demonstrates the basics of sequencing on the FA. Maybe you could record the audio of that video? It could be useful in conjunction with what I wrote before. Anyway, here's the YouTube link for that sequencing video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hSWl3kaHA8

Heh-heh, better say that I don't have the FA-06 now. (I'm trespassing here). I recently switched to a Fantom G6 as a matter of personal preference, so only by chance did I see your post.

Quote: " I'm not one who has a DAW on the pc, well, I could have reaper but the tower isn't ever in the same room as my keyboard so physical limitations preclude from setting this all up. I'd mainly be wanting to sequence parts, export the stems to flash drives and then mix on the pc, unless missing natively on the roland is also pretty easy.

Wonder if a FA member might kindly contribute on that one?

Hope the FA Forum won't mind this divergence on behalf of blind muzo's: Been messing around with an old Yamaha QY700 lately (sequencer in a box). It's a powerful old sequencer, (18 Years old?): Loads of big clicky buttons and a miniature rubber keyboard! It's a tactile composer's dream! :-) And how quickly do the fingers learn to dance over the buttons! Puts me in mind of an old office adding machine or cash till.

Adding one of those venerable beasts might be a fun way to compliment your new Roland FA with minimal computer involvement?

best regards to you and yours
FA7

Post by FA7 »

Some info here may help
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=49334&p=281990#p281945

On boot up The top left words of my screen say STUDIO SET PLAY

In detail, there are 8 things that can be highlighted with the 4 cursor keys alone

Think icon circle with dead branches not an icon grid there are dead ends and you cant always return the same way you arrived. That means you CANNOT always use a breadcrumb trail of clicks to navigate.

0188 metal pad is highlighted in light blue

cursor up highlights 001: FA preview

cursor back down twice (from that position ) highlights bank prst

cursor left (from that position ) highlights type sn-s

cursor right twice (from that position ) highlights level 100

cursor right again (from that position ) highlights <SYNTH> synth pad/str

up one (from that position ) highlights lock

up one (from that position ) highlights 0188 metal pad

cursor up (from that position ) highlights 001: FA preview again

cursor left (from that position ) highlights prst NOTE this is not the same as bank prst

Important

pressing up cursor from type sn-s OR bank prst OR level 100 OR lock returns you to 0188 metal pad

BUT pressing down from 0188 metal pad ALWAYS send you to bank prst

Important again

you can only get to lock by going first to bank prst THEN cursor right to <SYNTH> synth pad/str and THEN cursor up to get to lock

NOTE pressing one of the 10 buttons along the bottom of the screen toggles between two different sounds

If you have access to a talking colour pen or similar speak the colour device this can aid navigating the menus. The keys and menu do not always act in a logical fashion, here a colour check can confirm suspicions.

The tech world would be a much better place if a blind person was head of every design department!
Sighted people the world over world weep for joy at the swathe of user friendly menu systems so derived !
tchelomgf

Post by tchelomgf »

Hello dears:

I've developed a PC Editor for Windows, improving accessibility for visually impaired people:

Installation link for beta version 1.2.2.0:
https://dl.orangedox.com/FAEditorInstall

Forum topic link:
viewtopic.php?t=58136

Thanks!
tchelomgf

Description of the Rear Panel items

Post by tchelomgf »

Hi dears:

See the description of the Rear Panel items, from left to right, as you are in front of the keybed:
  1. Ground Terminal - optional for a external safe ground connection.
  2. Power Switch - has two states, Keyboard ON when the button is lowered, OFF when button is raised.
  3. Power plug IN - to connect the power supply adapter.
  4. Cord hook - it is a kind of support, to hook the power cord to prevent inadvertent disruption of the power.
  5. Phones Jack output - it is stereo output plug to connect your headphones.
  6. Main Output Left/Mono - it is a mono output to connect to mixer or active speakers. If you mixer/speaker has balanced inputs, you can use balanced cables (TRS) to improve signal quality.
  7. Main Output Right - it is a mono output to use together with the Main output left, to get stereo sound from keyboard. If you mixer/speaker has balanced inputs, you can use balanced cables (TRS) to improve signal quality.
  8. SUB Output - it is a stereo output to connect to another headphones, mixer or active speakers. There are many setups to assign different sounds sources to this output.
  9. ordinary screw - ignore it.
  10. Line Input jack - it is a stereo audio input mini-plug size to connect microphones or audio devices such a mobile.
  11. GUITAR/MIC switch - to left, select inputs to low impedance for microphones. To right, select inputs to high impedance for guitars.
  12. Audio Input jack - it is a mono audio input to connect microphones or guitars.
  13. Audio Input Level - it is a knob to adjust the pre-amp level for mic/guitar inputs.
  14. ordinary 2 screws - ignore them.
  15. CTRL 1 - it is foot pedal input for CONTROL 1. Many setups can be done to work with this input.
  16. CTRL 2 - it is foot pedal input for CONTROL 2. Many setups can be done to work with this input.
  17. HOLD - it is the SUSTAIN pedal input.
  18. MIDI Input - it is a DIN 5 pin connector for MIDI Input
  19. MIDI Output - it is a DIN 5 pin connector for MIDI Output
  20. USB Port for Update - it is a rectangular type USB connector, to plug a USB flash dongle containing firmware and expansions updates.
  21. USB Port for Computer - it is a square type USB connector, to plug a ordinary printer USB cable, to connect to the PC/Laptop/Tablets, to use MIDI and Audio interfaces.
  22. SD Card - it is a SD Card slot with a cover, remove the two screws to get access to it.
Cheers!
Marcelo.