Difference between how piano sounds (FA-06 vs. FA-08)

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
rusnakaa

Difference between how piano sounds (FA-06 vs. FA-08)

Post by rusnakaa »

Hi there!
I bought my FA-06, and I'm so happy! But when I watch some demos in internet of FA-08, the acoustic piano sounds much more realistic, fat and there is nice woody sound. When I use exactly the same patch, and play on my FA-06, the piano sounds worse... I use the same headphones. I believe, there is no difference between FA-06 and 08 sounds...
Cyrano

Re: Difference between how piano sounds (FA-06 vs. FA-08)

Post by Cyrano »

Well, let me share one thing

When I was testing different keyboards to decide myself, I was deeply deceived by the FA 06 piano...especially after playing the Krome's grand piano

I was about discarding the idea of buying the FA, when a friend of mine on an Italian musician's forum suggested me to try the 08...I did it, and I fount that the piano sound was coming out completely different...and finally I bought my FA 08 :-)

Well, why the piano sounds come out in a such different way, I can only guess...maybe the velocity curve is not well designed for the 61 synth action keybed, or (worse) the 61 synth action keybed is not mechanically able to transmit the subtleties needed for a convincing and realistic piano sound...
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

I can only imagine it is due to the velocity, probably you tend to play too hard with the 06 keybed. From the Integra I know the piano sound becomes much more wooden if you go into SN-A edit and change the timbre parameter. I guess that will help.
rusnakaa

Post by rusnakaa »

When I played for the first time in a music shop, I switched a FA-06 to a Roland piano via MIDI. The piano sound was absolutely the same... I've never played the FA-08....
JFP

Post by JFP »

I have them both , sounds seem the same. The keybed and touch-curve response is however totally different. The crappy keybed of the FA-06 is pretty much unusable for keyboard sounds (AP/ EP) IMHO. It could be that you're impression comes from this absence of connection between keys and sound. As a second tier however , with a good 88 keybed and adjusting the curve and offset on your 06 , the AP is very good. If there is stil a difference between 06 and 08 , Roland might have used cheaper components , like DA converters , in the FA-06, but I think that is highly unlikely. In short ; use the 06 with a good and adjustable 88 keybed for piano sounds and forget the 61 plastic toy keybed for these patches.
Cyrano

Post by Cyrano »

JFP wrote:I have them both , sounds seem the same. The keybed and touch-curve response is however totally different. The crappy keybed of the FA-06 is pretty much unusable for keyboard sounds (AP/ EP) IMHO. It could be that you're impression comes from this absence of connection between keys and sound. As a second tier however , with a good 88 keybed and adjusting the curve and offset on your 06 , the AP is very good. If there is stil a difference between 06 and 08 , Roland might have used cheaper components , like DA converters , in the FA-06, but I think that is highly unlikely. In short ; use the 06 with a good and adjustable 88 keybed for piano sounds and forget the 61 plastic toy keybed for these patches.
Agreed 100% :-)

Just for my info, which velocity curve and offsed do you use?
rusnakaa

Post by rusnakaa »

Ok... but, just see and listen:

I made this video, sound is via usb-audio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxCnJsI ... cH_fkHshNA

Here the piano sound is much more realistic, warm and woody:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86K50ipGnA

I'm not sure it's only about the keybed...
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

Have you tried changing the timbre in the SN-A edit section? I think this is the reason. Your forte tones sound roughtly the same as in the FA-08 video, but when you play more softly, it is brighter than in the FA-08 video. Changing the timbre to mellow gives the piano more depth. Maybe you should also change the velocity curve.
rusnakaa

Post by rusnakaa »

I tried this, but... Secondly, I'm almost sure, that in this presentation of FA-08 are used official presets.
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

Well, I think it is FAR more likely that they edited the timbre than Roland putting different SN-A piano waveform content into the two FA versions. I think this has zero likelihood. I would like to hear examples of the FA-06 with the timbre changed to mellow and velocity curve changed to hard.
Cyrano

Post by Cyrano »

Well, very simple acoustic piano FA 08 test, no effects, out of the box sound:

http://www.supportimusicali.it/lab/demo ... d+FA+06+08

http://www.supportimusicali.it/lab/demo ... d+FA+06+08
rusnakaa

Post by rusnakaa »

Big difference... Fa-08 sounds just fantastic, but FA-06 :(...
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

The FA-06 sounded excellent to me...hmmm...
rusnakaa

Post by rusnakaa »

Cyrano, can you play something, make midi file and send it to me. After that we can listen if it sounds different on FA-06 and FA-08. Thanks in advance!